Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #181
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Get the Buffy font from here and the Angel font from here.

Also, one note. For these scripts, I have personally set the series to be the order in the Buffyverse (Buffy and Angel together), and put the series info at the beginning of the title. Feel free to adjust settings for your naming needs. Keep in mind, the extra space under the Angel title is there for a second line on longer titles.

(Removed settings details, as I've included the settings export.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	83211   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover2.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	83212  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Buffy Cover.zip (535.8 KB, 611 views)
File Type: zip Angel Cover.zip (54.3 KB, 569 views)

Last edited by Vaesse; 05-07-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added cover exports.
Vaesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #182
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
@kiwidude
Just a thought, perhaps an import/export layout option may be added to the plugin to make sharing layouts easier? Maybe create a ZIP file containing the JSON for that layout and the custom image/background if applicable.
I'll second that request. That way I could just post sample and zip. Even better if it could include font file, but I can try to hunt down links and post them as above.

Last edited by Vaesse; 02-29-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #183
Vaesse
Zealot

On my agenda of covers to make soon-ish:

- Bones
- Dawson's Creek
- Kyle XY
- Queer as Folk

If there's particular interest, let me know and I'll move that to top of priority.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #184
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I broke it (and repaired my error)

I manage to break the Version 1.4 Bad (as in cause a 100% hard crash if I tried to open it again).

What I was trying to do , was add (metadata) text to a book with picture only cover.

I navigated to the cover.jpg in the Library. This is the same cover image I was trying to update.
As soon as I tried to do my first save. Bang! crash.
There were no other saves,since Calibre would crash everytime I tried to launch the PI again.

Cure: deleted the Generate cover json

You might want to trap for adding the Same image(file) that is being worked upon.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #185
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@ilovejdd/Vaesse - the export/import settings is a nice suggestion, but a fair bit of work. I will keep it in mind when I next fiddle with this plugin.

@theducks - ok, if I understand the cryptic ... for Book X you pointed your picture file at the cover.jpg that already existed for Book X, thereby creating a sort of recursive situation. Why would you not just use the {Current Cover} entry in the image list?

Just for future reference, rather than losing all your image settings, you could have just edited the json file and changed the path to the offending image. I will try to replicate this at some point as it sounds very unusual to fully crash calibre so I do wonder how you did it
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #186
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I will try to replicate this at some point as it sounds very unusual to fully crash calibre so I do wonder how you did it
With my normal flare

I discovered {Current cover} after I got things working. Read the Manual

I did have fun making a cover of the cover of the cover ...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #187
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Generate button on Edit Metadata screen?

I've taken a quick boo through the thread and I can't find where anybody asked whether it was possible to have a button for this plugin be added to the metadata edit screen or even take the place of the Generate Cover function that is in there already. Of course, it would have to be an option and now's certainly not the time for stumping that Kovid set aside new fatherhood to do so. But it would be nice to get the idea on the list of things you wizards think about.

And, if you want to REALLY win my heart-felt appreciation, you might also consider an option to auto-select the generated cover template based on the contents of a particular column. i.e. if #covercolumn = 'Mystery' then generate_template(cMystery).

This request was generated by a bunch of old PDB files I had lying around, some of which were for short stories. And, in a flash of non-brilliance, I decided to add a hundred all at once. I did the Ctrl-D thing to download all the metadata at once, but then had to start at the bottom of the list and add my customized columns, plus review the cover choices. Unfortunately, I had to exit at irregular levels to run the proper cover creation. I had TRIED to remember in an earlier mass input and was wrong often enough to not do it again. Not all small files need new covers, even the ones sized as less than 0.1. If I could generate through the plug-in, I'd end up with fewer forehead slaps when using the cover browser.

Thanks for thinking about it, GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #188
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Gary - adding a button to the edit metadata screen isn't possible without changing the source code of calibre. GUI plugins can only be hooked into the main library context menu or one of the various toolbars, there is no way of adding buttons anywhere else. To do what you have asked for would at the very least require hard-coding calibre to detect the presence of this plugin and change buttons accordingly and probably more likely for the plugin to actually be bundled with calibre.

If you run calibre from source and roll your sleeves up I am sure you could do something but as I say it would need Kovid's thoughts/blessing for it to be anything other than a local patch for you.

As for your second question, it is a bit of a pandoras box I have avoided opening . I understand what you are asking for and it has crossed my mind in the past,. To do the job "properly" the plugin would need a rules engine, probably not dissimlar in some ways to what is done with custom colouring by chaley. So you would be able to say if book has this tag and/or custom column value then use this cover, etc. And you have to cater for what happens if you have conflicts (two cover rules apply for the same book). It is a *lot* of work and since the % of time I have need for custom covers is small for the books I personally keep I just lack the motivation to spend x days writing it.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #189
doughayman
doughayman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
kiwidude, thank you for an excellent plug-in. I have one small problem that seems to be effecting both the native Calibre cover generation .mobi output, and also your "Generate Cover" .mobi output. Resultant .mobi cover ALWAYS generates a thin border around cover image, despite the fact that I specify image border of "0". I don't want to be redundant, but I posted info of the problem here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...96#post1996996

Thank you in advance for any info that you can shed on this.
doughayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #190
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
@kiwidude - Would you have any interest in creating and exposing a few methods on Generate Cover for other plugins to call like you did for Reading Lists?

I'm thinking just a couple: something like get_saved_setting_names to get a list of the names of the different settings, and a modified generate_cover_for_book.

The generate_cover_for_book method would take the name of the setting to use and, an mi either with _path_to_cover set or a new path_to_cover parameter.

Returning the cover data like generate_cover_for_book does now seems best to me, rather than setting it from inside the new method. I might want to push it into the epub during creation.

My intention is to have the FanFictionDownLoader plugin (configurably) call GC to generate covers when creating/updating books, using different settings for different sites.

Jim
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #191
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Jim - I'll have a think about it when I next look at that plugin. In theory I don't have an issue with doing it, just depends on how much work it turns out to be
Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #192
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I just discovered this plugin. Thanks for the effort to create the tool. Anyway, here's what I'm trying to do. I've made an essentially blank eBook. I'm planning to create 26 of these (one for each letter of the alphabet) to send to iBooks. I want to use these as bookshelf dividers to help me find and organize my books a bit more easily (yeah, I keep waaaay toooo many books on my iPad). Anyway, all I want the cover to be is plain white (so it shows up easily) with a giant letter A or B or whatever. I tried your plugin but it seems to max out how big the font on the cover can be at 100 which is still way to small. Any suggestions?
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #193
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
Anyway, all I want the cover to be is plain white (so it shows up easily) with a giant letter A or B or whatever. I tried your plugin but it seems to max out how big the font on the cover can be at 100 which is still way to small. Any suggestions?
You might consider creating or locating images to use with this plugin instead of a font.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #194
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

The 99pt limitation is a fairly arbitrary one I chose. Here is a version just for you that has that bumped up. I'll include the change in whenever I do my next official release.

Last edited by kiwidude; 05-01-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Remove attachment as part of release 1.4.1
Old 04-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #195
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Or if kiwidude wasn't so accommodating...
Create the cover of dimensions smaller proportional to usual, say 1/4, then after, use his re-size cover plugin to enlarge the cover back to normal size, or leave as is if it shows well on bookshelf.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote