Device: kindle
How do I go to the beginning of a book

removed

Last edited by heritage; 12-24-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: dumb post
heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
With the book open, press the menu key. Select "go to" and a text box will open giving the choices of "cover", "beginning", "location" and "table of contents". Choose the one you like.

The software wasn't designed for multiple people sharing the same Kindle. It was designed for one person who might want to sync with other Kindles on their account or Kindle apps. Your wife would be able to read her Kindle to a certain point, then pick up where she left off on her smart phone (or whatever) via the Kindle app.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage View Post
Who ever wrote the software made it easy to buy a book but very nasty to use. As a software developer, I would be embarrassed to have designed the Kindle's OS.
Everyone knows software developers cannot use other peoples software well. It's perfectly simple and useful for the rest of us.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Who ever wrote the software made it easy to buy a book but very nasty to use. As a software developer, I would be embarrassed to have designed the Kindle's OS.
Yeah it's definitely not the most intuitive thing in the world when you first navigate it. The fishing around is pretty brief, though, then you're good to go.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
With the book open, press the menu key. Select "go to" and a text box will open giving the choices of "cover", "beginning", "location" and "table of contents". Choose the one you like.
What daffy said. I have only one comment. The beginning is not actually the "beginning" of the book, it's whatever the publisher wanted you to see first. Sometimes there is lots of info before that. So, instead I select "cover" (it's always the first page in the book) and go from there.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
My wife and I share a Kindle. How do I go to the beginning of a book? When she finishes, all I get is the last page of a book she finished.

Software developers brains must work differently than normal peoples.

The K1 and K3 are pretty intuitive.....if you are willing to press a few buttons to see what they do.

Reading the manual might help, also. Try page 14.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Software developers brains must work differently than normal peoples.

The K1 and K3 are pretty intuitive.....if you are willing to press a few buttons to see what they do.

Reading the manual might help, also. Try page 14.
It also looks like he does not like the sync feature... since that is why he is getting the last page of the book
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
removed
Heritage, your post wasn't dumb at all. We are here to help people get to know the ins and outs of their Kindles. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Heritage, your post wasn't dumb at all. We are here to help people get to know the ins and outs of their Kindles. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.
True.

However, a little common courtesy helps.

A friendly "hi" I'm not understanding this" would have gone a long way.

Superior attitudes about being a software developer and bashing of the K's OS, especially on a first post doesn't get a newbie off to a good start.

I'm sure Amazon is kicking themselves over not asking his opinion first..
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote