Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #31
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wish everyone luck. However, I know I could not read 100 books in a year.
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #32
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I joined the group. I have no doubt I will *buy* 100 books in 2011, only time will tell how many I actually read. I sure hope that our local library adds digi books this year!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #33
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I joined the group. I have no doubt I will *buy* 100 books in 2011, only time will tell how many I actually read. I sure hope that our local library adds digi books this year!
Heh.
I will buy 3 books in 2011.
A Memory of Light [HB] by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson
A Memory of Light [Leather Bound] by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson
The Crippled God (Malazan Book of the Fallen) [HB] by Steven Erikson

I am considering Stonewielder (Malazan Empire 3) [HB] by Ian Cameron Esslemont as a fourth book.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #34
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Heh.
I will buy 3 books in 2011.
A Memory of Light [HB] by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson
A Memory of Light [Leather Bound] by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson
The Crippled God (Malazan Book of the Fallen) [HB] by Steven Erikson

I am considering Stonewielder (Malazan Empire 3) [HB] by Ian Cameron Esslemont as a fourth book.
I will be buying A Memory of Light the very second I can get my hands on it! I hate to say this, but it's not coming out until early 2012. Brandon says he needs at least 3 extra months to do a re-read of the entire series before finishing it up. I don't mind waiting the extra few months because I will be extremely sad when I am finished reading it.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #35
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I will be buying A Memory of Light the very second I can get my hands on it! I hate to say this, but it's not coming out until early 2012. Brandon says he needs at least 3 extra months to do a re-read of the entire series before finishing it up. I don't mind waiting the extra few months because I will be extremely sad when I am finished reading it.
Oh, does it leave only one book for 2011? Sad.
I don't mind waiting too. No problems at all. Quality is my foremost concern.
I would not be able to read it straight away anyway.
I am going to read all Malazan book starting somewhere in March. 10 thick books plus at least 4 companions at the moment. I will read some stand alone to dilute the series ~ 14-15 months at the very least.
Then, when the last WoT is on my book shelf I will start with the very first book in the series. I have read the first 8 books 10 or 11 years ago. I am looking forward to reading both series.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #36
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Having done a 100 books in 2010 challenge I don't think I'll be doing it in 2011. I enjoyed the challenge and I set myself the goal to read 100 books of at least 300 pages. It's very doable, I finished the 2010 challenge with a month to spare.

That being said I found myself postponing reading lengthier books in order to keep to my schedule of 8 books a month. Some books I really wanted to read have had to wait in order to accommodate faster reads.

I found it lots of fun and I will definitely keep track of my 2011 reads, who knows where it will end up.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #37
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Oh, does it leave only one book for 2011? Sad.
I don't mind waiting too. No problems at all. Quality is my foremost concern.
I would not be able to read it straight away anyway.
I am going to read all Malazan book starting somewhere in March. 10 thick books plus at least 4 companions at the moment. I will read some stand alone to dilute the series ~ 14-15 months at the very least.
Then, when the last WoT is on my book shelf I will start with the very first book in the series. I have read the first 8 books 10 or 11 years ago. I am looking forward to reading both series.
I have been meaning to try the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Maybe I will get to it next year sometime. I just did a WoT re-read, so I only plan on re-reading the last couple before AMoL. Then I will probably re-read the entire series again. I also want to read The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I have it but have been putting it off.

This year I am in a 144 books in 2010 challenge, and I will just be around 150 by the new year. I should make it to 100 next year, but I do have a lot of 1000 page books on my list, so we'll see.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #38
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Think I'll join for mainly motivational reasons. Find myself wasting more & more time reading about reading than reading! It's getting ridiculous...I usually fall asleep shortly after I open a book.

I figured out how to join (thanks for the question, Ellen), but I would like to take a look at the 2010 challenge. Couldn't figure out how. How?
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #39
Care
Aes Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Think I'll join for mainly motivational reasons. Find myself wasting more & more time reading about reading than reading! It's getting ridiculous...I usually fall asleep shortly after I open a book.

I figured out how to join (thanks for the question, Ellen), but I would like to take a look at the 2010 challenge. Couldn't figure out how. How?
d
I couldn't find 2010's group either. But people were saying how it was interesting to see how people were doing this year, so there must have been something. Maybe it was a thread instead of a group?

Edit: Found something: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...100+books+2010
Old 12-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #40
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I don't usually join things either, but I do think I read at least 100 books a year, in general- if all books are counted (even ones I read to my kids), I'm double that at least
lol sorry it has to be 200 or more pages long
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #41
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
Books like Slaughter House 5 take me a couple hours to read at most. Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit, on the other hand, takes about a month or so to finish.

Sometimes it's just not worth it to sacrifice quality for quantity, no disrespect to Vonnegut of course.
i agree i don't try to rush my reading, i read the girl with the dragon tatoo in 4 days
Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #42
The Terminator
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I joined, I might just make it since I've read about 40 book in the last 6-7 months.

Just wondering, the third rule says that books must be over 200 pages long to count toward your total. How do you qualify 200? As epub pages? I know a Kindle uses a different method to show how far you are in the book . It also depends of which font size you use and some and some people delete the blank lines between paragraphs which also shortens the book. Or should we look at the pages of the pbook?
hmm not sure that was just soo comic books,magazines and short storys don't count any good novel should count
Old 12-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #43
The Terminator
Retired

ya i don't think audio books would count but we can vote i will start a new topic in the group
Old 12-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #44
The Terminator
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I joined, I might just make it since I've read about 40 book in the last 6-7 months.

Just wondering, the third rule says that books must be over 200 pages long to count toward your total. How do you qualify 200? As epub pages? I know a Kindle uses a different method to show how far you are in the book . It also depends of which font size you use and some and some people delete the blank lines between paragraphs which also shortens the book. Or should we look at the pages of the pbook?
good question, I modified the rules, to count books they should be 150 pages but shorter books that are real books not short stories count
Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #45
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
100 for me would be cutting back I tried to read 250 this year, but I'm not going to make it (225 now). 2011 I'll probably go with 200, I did notice I passed on "bigger" books and I really want to focus on quality in 2011 (I read a lot of quality books this year though). In case you want to see my list for the year: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...-250-challenge (please don't comment though, I want my post count to match the book #).

For those questioning whether something counts or not, I'm in the opinion if it's a book, it counts. If you don't want it to count, then don't. I know my list is for everyone to see and clearly there's lots of romance on it, so some might think "that's how she got so many," and you'd partially be right. I also have some very short books on there. I balanced it out though with other books. I was actually quite pleased, I read a lot less romance this year (from 54% of what I read down to 35%). Anyway I'm rambling now...The point is to have fun and push yourself to read more. If reading some shorties keeps you on a roll, then why not?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a terminator production