Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
No I've not read any Montale, though I will eventually get to him I am sure. I've been approaching it starting from the earliest date and with that I've only just started on the 1910-1920 range. It's better than that as when others have come up here I've read out of order. For example I've recently read The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing, Cairo Modern by Naguib Mahfouz and Away from Her by Alice Munro. I have been only counting books read since I started using Goodreads, and that has left gaps of authors that I have read in the 55+ years prior to that. I would go back and add those if I knew how to put in dates that would not imply that I had just read the book.
A couple of suggestions on adding books to GR, FWIW.

1. Just go ahead and add 'em sans date. The absence of a date read implies that you didn't just read them and they won't be added to your current year's total. Also, you can hide something from your update feed, so people wouldn't notice them anyway unless they checked your profile.

2. Use an absurd default date for your additions. The drop-down years go back to 1914. Maybe you're a centenarian and were an early reader at that, but otherwise people won't be misled.

I add books as I think of them. Not everything, of course, but books that were important to me or that I'd like for my own reference. My own bottom line is that my GR lists are primarily for my own use. But since I love reading other people's booklists, anyone who wants to look can take a gander.

Just as an aside, those early Nobelists seem to be quite the slog. There are some exceptions, but oh, my!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Just one more vote for Hopkins, folks. C'mon, Gerry!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #48
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will fourth Hopkins.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #49
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
then have a think about Larkin (Hint Hint), that is as modern as it gets. (just thinking of This be the verse...)
Sorry, I've run also out of no nominations...
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #50
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Sorry, I've run also out of no nominations...
thanks for the thought anyway, but this is no longer needed as Fantasyfan "fourhted" it

Actually, I'd love all of the nominations to make the poll.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #51
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll add a vote for Hughes.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 01-04-2014 at 12:42 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #52
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Though bawdy Baudelaire, Burns and Birthday Letters all look interesting, I only have one vote left and I'll use it to third Billy.

On the discussion earlier, I'd say most poetry (though not all) is literary almost by definition, so this is probably the easiest month in that regard. But "literary" is not always black and white so sometimes it comes down to instinct and different people may have different ideas.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #53
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
For instance:

Any hound a porcupine nudges
Can't be blamed for harbouring grudges.
I know a hound that laughed all winter
At a porcupine that sat on a splinter.

(I love Ogden Nash dearly, but I don't think he is a literary poet!)
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #54
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Anyone got a vote to spare for Ted Hughes?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #55
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I'll support Hughes.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #56
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
It looks like you're out of votes. You nominated Heaney and Burns and supported Stevens and Dante.
Right you are. I was forgetting my vote for Dante.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #57
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A couple of suggestions on adding books to GR, FWIW.

1. Just go ahead and add 'em sans date. The absence of a date read implies that you didn't just read them and they won't be added to your current year's total. Also, you can hide something from your update feed, so people wouldn't notice them anyway unless they checked your profile.

2. Use an absurd default date for your additions. The drop-down years go back to 1914. Maybe you're a centenarian and were an early reader at that, but otherwise people won't be misled.

I add books as I think of them. Not everything, of course, but books that were important to me or that I'd like for my own reference. My own bottom line is that my GR lists are primarily for my own use. But since I love reading other people's booklists, anyone who wants to look can take a gander.
Thanks, good suggestions! I can add William Golding to my list for example as like almost everyone who went through public school I have read Lord of the Flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Just as an aside, those early Nobelists seem to be quite the slog. There are some exceptions, but oh, my!
Absolutely. Not to mention it being difficult to obtain any works by many of them through my local library. It's a long term project of mine, one I am often ready to see delayed by books that I am more interested in.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #58
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Fourth Billy Collins.

One of my friends, who is not on Goodreads or MR, just posted 'Snow Day' by Billy Collins on Facebook. I loved it so I scooted right over here.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #59
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Nominations are now closed. The poll will be up soon.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #60
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
For instance:

Any hound a porcupine nudges
Can't be blamed for harbouring grudges.
I know a hound that laughed all winter
At a porcupine that sat on a splinter.

(I love Ogden Nash dearly, but I don't think he is a literary poet!)
I love Ogden Nash. Then there is this by Hilaire Belloc:

Quote:
I shoot the Hippopotamus
With bullets made of platinum,
Because if I use leaden ones
His hide is sure to flatten 'em.
This always makes me think of what it takes to be a successful politician. A skin so thick that one has to "shoot" him with platinum bullets just to get his attention. That and platinum is worth so much more than lead and we all know how well politicians respond to money. Anyway clever, but literary??

Not to mention Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel).

Quote:
Think left and think right and think low and think high.
Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
He was a genius at creating books to teach children to read, but a literary poet?