Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
markjoseph
markjoseph began at the beginning.

Device: nook kindle
Question A "Chapter" question

Hi All,

I'm a writer who just published my first book. Now I've entered the wonderful, wacky world of ebooks. It's a jungle out there. Competing formats, limited tools, just like the early days of computers.

My first question (I'll probably have about 5,000 more):

My book was an InDesign 4 indd file which I successfully converted to epub format in Calibre. The book was not divided into Chapters I had it as one file, printed out fine and not too much trouble. Now I want to add chapters. Tried Sigil and Calibre and it didn't work. I think Jutoh might do it but it's confusing me.

Seems like it's much easier to edit and existing TOC than create one.

Help!

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Best, MarkJoseph
markjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoseph View Post
Hi All,

I'm a writer who just published my first book. Now I've entered the wonderful, wacky world of ebooks. It's a jungle out there. Competing formats, limited tools, just like the early days of computers.

My first question (I'll probably have about 5,000 more):

My book was an InDesign 4 indd file which I successfully converted to epub format in Calibre. The book was not divided into Chapters I had it as one file, printed out fine and not too much trouble. Now I want to add chapters. Tried Sigil and Calibre and it didn't work. I think Jutoh might do it but it's confusing me.

Seems like it's much easier to edit and existing TOC than create one.

Help!

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Best, MarkJoseph

This is a Sigil Forum Please be kind to the Creator

Are you wanting to:
1) Break the file internally into smaller "Chapter" segments (good for portable readers. especially if they need to keep the segment under 250K)?
2) Make a Reader-Menu, TOC (link) to the Chapter (and/or section)?

Sigil can do this in Book View (BV).
Place the cursor at the end of the previous Chapter, Click the "Sigil Chapter Break" icon. Wait for Sigil to be done splitting.
You are now at the top of the (previously next) Chapter
To make the heading into a TOC entry, simply ensure that the Heading is aod a HTML/Sigil "Heading" style. (I use h3 for chapters, h2 for "Parts" or "Stories in Anthologies, and h1 for the book title. The TOC will appear nested)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
markjoseph
markjoseph began at the beginning.

Device: nook kindle
Wow, thanks for that great answer. I saw the split chapters button but had the cursor at the front of the chapter and I don't think I waited long enough. Patience, always a virtue. MarkJoseph
markjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chapters, creating chapters, toc creation