Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Calibre vs Sony Library

I was happily using Calibre because Sony Library did not support Macs. Now they do, and I have downloaded about two dozen free books since it came out. I have not read them yet because I am worried about messing up Calibre by transferring things two ways.

Lately I have been thinking of maybe switching over to the Sony software only. That way, I could manage everything in one place. The only 'feature' I use in Calibre besides conversion tools is the tags, and I can do that in the Sony software too. I do like (although I did not at first) that Calibre organizes my file system for me. I can just download to desktop, load into Calibre and delete the original file. From what I have seen of the Sony library, its file naming system is crapola

I am also interested in downloading library books and am unsure if the Sony library software can handle that too or if I need to re-download Adobe Digital Editions (which was such an annoying piece of software, it kept trying to reset my system prefs so I could use it for everything even though I kept saying no). If Sony Library can manage my library books without ADE, that would make it a compelling choice since I could do library books, free Sony store books and all my other free books/books from Fictionwise with one program. I know Caibre cannoy display DRM Sony Store books but I was told you can load them in for tagging and transfer once they have been authenticated. I am not sure if the same holds true for DRM library books...

So, pros and cons of this idea? Would it be best to just to most of my stuff in Calibre as usual and open the Sony Library once in awhile for the freebies? Or can one program or other really do it all? And how about the library books? Just trying to simplify things here. My library is surprisingly good and seems to be getting a lot of new stuff that I would have in the past bought.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:56 AM   #2
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
You can add the books from the Sony store to Calibre and then to your reader, same as with epubs from ADE. The naming of files from Sony stinks but you can rename them on your computer if you so choose.
As for using Calibre for library books, I can't tell you as I don't have access to a library with ebooks for checkout in western South Dakota.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert