Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: September 2009 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie 26 34.21%
The Chinese Parrot (Charlie Chan) by Biggs 15 19.74%
Lady Molly of Scotland Yard by by Baroness Orczy 2 2.63%
A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch 1 1.32%
Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin 9 11.84%
Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers 23 30.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I agree that if the Chan books win, book on will be the one to read.

We read the third book of the Sherlock Holmes books and by the time I got to the third book, it was too late. I'm not doing that again.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #17
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I voted for Murder Must Advertise because it's a very witty take on the advertising business, it's in the MR library, and we so rarely read female authors.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I voted for Murder Must Advertise because it's a very witty take on the advertising business, it's in the MR library, and we so rarely read female authors.
But if you had voted for The Mysterious Affair at Styles we'd still be reading a work by a female author. And you'd have made me happy.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you had voted for The Mysterious Affair at Styles we'd still be reading a work by a female author. And you'd have made me happy.
So sorry... you know I live to make you happy.

I've read Mysterious Affair at Styles many times...Murder Must Advertise is newer for me.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #20
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hrmm...I think I've made my decision. But I believe I'll sleep on it
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #21
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok... so I think we should choose 1 of the 6.... what do you all SAY? Or should we just wait to see if it wins?
It should be pretty clear from the original suggestion that it was "The Chinese Parrot" - out of the whole omnibus - that was nominated, and that this is the book we are voting on. There should be no need to choose.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
It should be pretty clear from the original suggestion that it was "The Chinese Parrot" - out of the whole omnibus - that was nominated, and that this is the book we are voting on. There should be no need to choose.
Ah... ok, because the nomination was parenthetically "(omnibus)".... I will fix the poll.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Well, I don't care what anybody says, I am going to read the "The Chinese Parrot" and don't nobody try to stop me... cause if they do.. it's bound to get dangerous around here.

However, as an act of conciliation I'm willin to read another book should the rest of you make bad choices

Cause, I like to be fair
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #24
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
I've never read an Agatha Christie...So that's what I voted for & am gonna give it a whirl!!
(But I downloaded the Sayers as well...looks interesting too!)
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #25
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
This was a hard decision. I was really interested in Mistress of the Art of Death until I went over to Amazon & Fictionwise and saw the price. I think I'll wind up reading all the others over time, but I wound up voting for Tommy & Tuppence.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #26
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
This was a hard decision. I was really interested in Mistress of the Art of Death until I went over to Amazon & Fictionwise and saw the price. I think I'll wind up reading all the others over time, but I wound up voting for Tommy & Tuppence.
Tommy and Tuppence? This Agatha Christie doesn't feature them.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #27
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
You'll be getting Hercule Poirot...
Old 09-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #28
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
You'll be getting Hercule Poirot...
He's the most famous detective in the world, you know
Old 09-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
He's the most famous detective in the world, you know
I thought Sherlock Holmes was the most famous of them all. Or is it Inspector Clouseau, Inspector Gadget, Columbo, Nero Wolf, or Monk?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #30
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I thought Sherlock Holmes was the most famous of them all. Or is it Inspector Clouseau, Inspector Gadget, Columbo, Nero Wolf, or Monk?
Have you ever read a Poirot novel?