Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
CES09: Microsoft color flexible epaper?

Here's a movie of microsoft showcasing new technology. Skip the boring parts with the tablet pc and MS-surface table, and you get to see a very interesting 30 seconds of the prototype "flexible display that's like eink"

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/e...putingDemocast
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I'd love to see it, but I refust to install yet another videostream plugin. Why did Microsoft create this "Silverlight" video plugin? I'l look for it on youtube.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I just saw it, and I have to say I was fascinated by the tablet PC and the table PC and all that. It's like a sci fi nerd's wet dream.

Anyway, here's the link that I saw it from, WITHOUT the annoying SilverLight nonsense.

http://media.pc.ign.com/articles/942/942849/vids_1.html
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
This is one of the reasons why we should start thinking of scanning and creating colored versions of ebooks.

So far I've always made 256 tint greyscale (8-bit) covers. But we would do better by creating color ones; live with the fact that the ebook gets10% larger in filesize, and enjoy the book in color when the market opens up to color-e-reading devices.
So far the PRS-505 does not seem to show any difference between an original (color) picture, or it's 8bit greyscale version.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Oh god... If Microsoft comes up with the first colored e-ink device, it will be back to using Windows again... SIGH!
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
This is one of the reasons why we should start thinking of scanning and creating colored versions of ebooks.

So far I've always made 256 tint greyscale (8-bit) covers. But we would do better by creating color ones; live with the fact that the ebook gets10% larger in filesize, and enjoy the book in color when the market opens up to color-e-reading devices.
So far the PRS-505 does not seem to show any difference between an original (color) picture, or it's 8bit greyscale version.

or you save your original scanned files in the format they were intended to, and then convert in the future.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
or you save your original scanned files in the format they were intended to, and then convert in the future.
YEAH, I would really like to see you convert a 256 tint greyscale picture into a color-version
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:58 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I always create ebooks with color pictures, unless the originals are black and white.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:24 AM   #9
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
YEAH, I would really like to see you convert a 256 tint greyscale picture into a color-version
One might expect that people here can understand that

Quote:
So far I've always made 256 tint greyscale (8-bit) covers.
means the original covers were converted to 8-bit covers. Not that the original covers were 8-bits
Old 01-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I know of Amazon also doing research to color e-ink displays.
Highly probably you'll lose 1/3th of the resolution (eg: 800x200,or 267x600 pix) due to RGB needing 1 pix.
They'll need to increase display resolution, and probably increase performance of the processor too.

So far I see little benefit. Besides the cover, a book usually is B&W.
Perhaps it would be interesting for mobile internet devices;that support anything but displaying moving images (like flash, .mov, .avi, or moving GIF's).

So if they want to keep the 800x600 resolution, battery life will go from 8000 pageturns to 2600 pageturns, or from 2 weeks on a PRS-505 to 4,5 days of battery life.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
So far I see little benefit. Besides the cover, a book usually is B&W.
Perhaps it would be interesting for mobile internet devices;that support anything but displaying moving images (like flash, .mov, .avi, or moving GIF's).

So if they want to keep the 800x600 resolution, battery life will go from 8000 pageturns to 2600 pageturns, or from 2 weeks on a PRS-505 to 4,5 days of battery life.
I think the draw here is to store not just books, but things like how to books and manuals which are often heavily illustrated.

Also think of comic books. I know people who have enough of those to fill half of a garage. All in plastic covers arranged in long cardboard boxes.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
Virag
Virag began at the beginning.

Device: ipaq handheld, laptop, Sony prs 505, iPhone
Looking at the video I think it has a lot of potential. I personally would be interested in using something in color that size for art technique books, knitting and other craft books, and if it could run Painter or Photoshop and use a pen wacom style then it'd be great for digital art. I'd prob. never be able to set it down in that case. I'm may overshooting the tech there a bit in my understanding of it though. Color e ink would be very nice for crafts that require color coded charts like color stranded knitting or cross stitch and I could imagine buying color cook books to use at home on a device that way.
Virag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
ProDigit
Karmaniac

video and moving pictures, with the technology of today require too much computing power,and battery draw.
You'll never get that in a device the size of a PRS-505 with current technology;the battery would last less than 30minutes.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #14
John Bailey
Connoisseur
John Bailey doesn't litterJohn Bailey doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
Oh god... If Microsoft comes up with the first colored e-ink device, it will be back to using Windows again... SIGH!
Yep. Microsoft formats, Microsoft DRM and books created only with Office and available from the Microsoft store. At least the blue screen would be properly rendered.
John Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:25 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bailey View Post
Yep. Microsoft formats, Microsoft DRM and books created only with Office and available from the Microsoft store. At least the blue screen would be properly rendered.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote