Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
jeanravel
jeanravel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500,eBookWise
Best reader for organizing imported content?

Hi-

I have a question for other owners out there. I have a Sony PRS-500 and an eBookwise ebook, both of which I like using. I use the Sony mainly for purchased content and the eBookwise for my own docs. My eBookwise just died on me, and I'm not really planning on replacing it if I can find what I want in a newer reader.

I loved the eBookwise for it's backlight (which I know I'm probably going to have to do without in a new reader) and for its file organization (in ebookwise librarian). I could create files for the ebookwise and download them onto the device when I wanted them and delete on the device when I was done. I could then redownload them from the librarian if I wanted them again w/o having to reimport them. Even doing it 1 at a time, they would stay within the organization I'd put them in in the beginning. Even better, you could edit Title Author Folder etc in the Librarian, after importing the file. None of these are easy with the Sony Reader, and if I use an SD card, I can't even create book collections. And if you transfer 1 book at a time, you can't place it into an existing collection on the device.
Hardware-wise, one of my favorite things about the ebookwise has been that I can rotate the screen 180 degrees and use the Forward-Back buttons with my other hand. I'm left-handed, so when I'm eating etc, I like being able to read with the reader in my right hand, but I can't turn pages easily on the Sony Reader that way.

My question-

Is there any reader out there that lets you rotate the screen 180 degrees like the eBookwise or that has comfortable up/down buttons for either hand?

Is there a reader that has good organization for files, that let's you create bookshelves where the organization carries over to the device when you transfer them? Or edit the book info within its software? Or let you delete them on the device without connecting to the computer?

Thank you,

Jean
jeanravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The PRS-505 has its page turn buttons on the right. You can do most of the ebook organization tasks using libprs500.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
jeanravel
jeanravel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500,eBookWise
Thanks for the info! I managed to install libprs500 and get it to recognize the reader, now I'll see if it can do what I'm looking for.

Jean
jeanravel is offline   Reply With Quote