Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Prediction: Apple Will Announce a new ebook reader near the end of February

Before you read this I want to say that I withdraw this prediction. I think it will be more of a media device. But decided to show this to everyone because the resulting discussion could be interesting.

I think Apple is going to announce a new ebook reader at the end of this month. Here's why:

TUAW has reported a rumor that Apple is planning an Event before the end of this month. We now from past examples that Apple tends to announce new products at Events; product upgrades are simply released.

We know that Apple isn't going to announce a new ultra-light Macbook; they've already done that. We know that the announcement won't be about larger capacity Iphone and Ipod Touch; that's happened as well. So what do we have left?

EDIT: It could be the Iphone SDK; it is coming soon. It might happen as well, but I don't think the SDK is important enough to warrant an Event by itself. I'm not even sure that Apple will ever release the Iphone SDK.

When I first started writing this I thought it could be a full size MacTablet, but it's not likely. The Axiotron Modbook has finally started shipping. So far I have found 3 people who have one. Yes, That's what I said: 3. Since it does exist, obviously it's not a cover story for Apple.

I highly doubt that Apple would undercut a business partner, so a MacTablet is ruled out. But there is another possibility. Remember how Steve Jobs said "nobody reads anymore"? He has a record of being dismissive of a market right before Apple announces a new product into that market. We might be getting a new ebook reader.

At least, that's what I think.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think there was another announcement that was clearly coming at this event. I wish I could remember what it was, but I don't think it was an e-book reader. So I don't see the upcoming event as a sign that an e-book reader is coming. On the other hand, it doesn't preclude such an announcement either. If I find what I'm referring to, I'll post it here.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, now I remember... I think they are going to announce the SDK for iPhone to allow third party development. Here is one article mentioning it (but not my orig source). http://www.macrumors.com/2008/02/07/...k-of-february/
Old 02-16-2008, 02:26 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given Mr. Jobs' obvious "hostility" to the idea of eBooks, I seriously doubt that this will happen. Reading is also probably not "mass market" enough for Apple to be interested.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Bob. I forgot the SDK.

Harry, on previous occasions Steve Jobs has been dismissive of a competitor's product shortly before releasing a new product. I think he did it again.
Advert
Old 02-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Harry, on previous occasions Steve Jobs has been dismissive of a competitor's product shortly before releasing a new product. I think he did it again.
The way I heard it he wasn't being dismissive of any specific product, but rather dismissing "reading" in general as a niche activity. Mr. Jobs isn't exactly my favourite person in the world, I'm afraid; he's always struck me as an arrogant ego-maniac.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

I think I am suspicious of Jobs' rhetoric also. Didn't he clearly lie about the iPhone and getting into the phone market in general. I don't think he would hesitate to mislead about e-book reader intentions either. On the other hand, I think a tablet or MID device is more likely than an e-book reader at this point. Sadly, he has "bigger fish" to fry.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I do not think there will be an Apple ebook anytime soon, and I'm glad!
Apple is all about fashion, an the last thing I need is a fashion ebook...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I cannot see Apple doing an eink based eBook reader for one simple reason. Demand.

Picture Apple coming out with an eink based eBook reader. With all the delays due to the existing readers, I don't think Apple could keep up with demand.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I moved the thread. But I don't think I will put it up on the front page.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Oh My Glory!

If Apple announce an E-Ink reader, so many fanboys would start reading again the gaming market would tank!

Jobs and his company have a 'cult of personality' and 'cult of design' mojo unlike any other.

However, I agree with Jon, and fear that E-Ink readers could die a horrible death if too many people jump in the pool without enough water, or in this case, hydrocarbon oil.

Cannot see Apple releasing an electrophoretic display device though. Does not seem slick enough for them.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I never actually said eInk. But then again, I didn't say LCD either.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:56 AM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I don't think e-ink will go mass market until the screens are bigger, cheaper and color. Most people read more magazines than novels and they won't pay $300+ for a device with a 6" black and white screen. The Apple market are the same folks we see commenting over at places like Engadget and Gizmodo every time an ebook device comes up along the lines of "What do you mean it isn't color? How can you watch movies on it?" They don't see the value in the current ebook products.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:42 AM   #14
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I think the "Apple is all about fashion, an the last thing I need is a fashion ebook..." is such a straw man it isn't even funny.

I won't deny there are apple fan boys. There are. But a lot of us who are very enthusiastic about our Apple products are enthusiastic not because it is stylish or cool but because it works intuitively and well. I ignored Apple for over a decade as a PC user, it simply wasn't an option. But last year I got a Macbook, and after a few months, picked up an iMac as well and they were the best decisions I ever made regarding how I deal with technology. Not because they were pretty (in fact, I liked how my PC's looked more) but because it was so damn usable and what's more, a pleasant experience to use.

The same goes with the iPhone. My Windows Mobile phone did just about everything an iPhone can do, but it was a giant pain in the butt to do it, ever.

Apple is good at UI. And UI is a very, very important part of how we deal with tech... dismissing what they do as just pretty is insulting. It's not about being pretty, it's about being USABLE. I swear, everytime I hear this stuff it's like listening to Linux fanboys complain... People don't seem to get it, it doesn't MATTER how "powerful" your product is, what matters is "do people want/like to use it." Linux is not user friendly (though it is slowly getting better) and so people don't use it.

The moment someone makes a computer that is more usable and intuitive than my Mac, I'll be right there. Apple and their high prices and arrogant attitudes be damned... but until then, whenever I use a PC it's like experiencing a computer with gloves on - awkward and irritating. And that may not be for everyone, but I was certainly surprised after about a month of using it how great it was.

So, that being said.... I don't think we'll see an ebook reader from Apple. As far as media device - probably not either. I think we'll see the SDK and that's about it. At best, and I hope it is true, we'll see a tablet. But I HIGHLY doubt it. Even Apple is only willing to put so much on the line at once.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I know they are gonna revive the Mac Classic on an e-ink device. Actually that would not suck. But I cannot see Apply coming out with a state of the art e-ink device for one simple reason, lack of a color display. It will not appeal to the image conscious consumer that Apple attracts. Hey people like shiny stuff...grey scale is not exactly shiny.

maybe the real announcement is Job's is gonna retire...HA...he is having his own brand of fun and will likely die in the boardroom before they can ship him out.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote