Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
davie
davie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
headless news fetch and send?

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer so here goes...

I would like my headless linux server which is always running to fetch my news feed everyday and send it to my device, just like calibre can do but without the gui.

I found this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97516 which shows how ebook-convert can fetch and process the news using a recipe. However this didn't reveal how to get the processed output sent to my device (kindle).

It also didn't reveal how to specify the recipe if it is one of the ones that is built into calibre.

Since this must be a simple and widely used feature could someone enlighten me?

Thanks DB
davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...n-linux-server
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
davie

Thanks very handy but I'm still not sure I understand, it looks like I need to do this in a cron job every day:
ebook-convert news_paper.recipe outputfile.epub
calibre_smtp -a outputfile.epub -u XXX -p YYY -e etc etc

I'm not sure if I need to run calibre-server (or what this does) and I'm not sure how I extract a recipe from the standard recipes (or how I point to one of the standard recipes) for the first command.

thanks for you patience!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davie View Post
it looks like I need to do this in a cron job every day:
ebook-convert news_paper.recipe outputfile.epub
calibre_smtp -a outputfile.epub -u XXX -p YYY -e etc etc
Yes.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I need to run calibre-server (or what this does)
No. The server allows computers and network-enabled reading devices to access a Calibre library via HTTP. It's not needed for emailing.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:33 AM   #5
davie

Thanks - the remaining question is how do I use an existing recipe that I currently access through the "Fetch news" menu in the gui?

Either I need to somehow point ebook-convert to it or I need a method to extract the recipe from the database so I can point to it as a file.
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
davie

Ok - I have worked out how to do this using the GUI but still don't know how to do it without :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121439

I think I'm all set now thanks!