Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Consumer Reports: iPhones hog much more data than other smart phones

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...r-istress.html

Quote:
On average, iPhone users consume 273 MBs of data per month. That compares with 54 MBs for consumer users of Blackberrys and 150 MBs for consumers who use other brands of smart phones, the Validas study found.

Another 12 percent of iPhone users use at least 500 MBs per month with their crush of emails, Web surfing, and other activity related to the device’s more than 100,000 available software applications. And about a third of those data junkies use more than 1 GB of data. (See chart below.)
Hmmmm..average 273Mbs month...and the new iPad $14.99 3G plan is for 250Mbs/month?

(I'm usually closer to 500M/month than 250M/month, from what I can tell)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Not a huge surprise. There are far more applications that do far more internet data related things for the iPhone than any other mobile platform. Add in that the iPhone is AT&T only where people who have other phones have the opportunity to be on other networks.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
Is it really 'hogging' when iPhones are actually used for the purpose for which they were devised and other devices, not-so-much? It's no secret that the mobile browsers on many other smart-phones are not exactly first-rate.

Rob Preece
Publisher, BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksForABuck View Post
Is it really 'hogging' when iPhones are actually used for the purpose for which they were devised and other devices, not-so-much? It's no secret that the mobile browsers on many other smart-phones are not exactly first-rate.

Rob Preece
Publisher, BooksForABuck.com
Yes. The iPhone definitely makes it easy to consume.
Besides, its other people who are hogging data..I'm gracefully imbibing mine
Old 02-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I definitely use more data services on my iPhone, than I did on my old HTCs.

On the other hand, the new Android 2s are jumping into the fray with gusto, and in the last two months of 2009 Android hits jumped 55%. Realistically, with the wider of range of Android hardware coming to market in the next few months, some with 4.5" screens, I'd expect that Android will surpass the iPhone by this time next year (just like Chrome surpassed Safari in 2009). Pity the Android UI still sucks compared to the iPhone, but on the other hand, it's improving rapidly.

Hey KJK, you are not Steve Jobs, are you? You live and breathe Apple....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I definitely use more data services on my iPhone, than I did on my old HTCs.

On the other hand, the new Android 2s are jumping into the fray with gusto, and in the last two months of 2009 Android hits jumped 55%. Realistically, with the wider of range of Android hardware coming to market in the next few months, some with 4.5" screens, I'd expect that Android will surpass the iPhone by this time next year (just like Chrome surpassed Safari in 2009). Pity the Android UI still sucks compared to the iPhone, but on the other hand, it's improving rapidly.

Hey KJK, you are not Steve Jobs, are you? You live and breathe Apple....
Ahahahhah, believe me, Steve Jobs would never have anyone else speak for him Haven't you seen some of his emails?

But I'm an admirer of their products-even the ones I'd never buy. I think their design aesthetic and taste is superb, right there with Aston-Martin, Braun, and Issey Miyake. And design aesthetics is definitely just as important to me in a product as a bunch of benchmarks.