Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #181
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Fraughton:
Back when the 2.4.0 release came out I had similar issues with my wife's Tocuh.

My experiences were as follows:

Quote:
I know this doesn't belong in the Beta but I (or my wife) needs some help. Last night she finally went to update her Touch. Desktop was updated as prompted, and then her Touch (which was still on 2.0.3 or 4) was attached and an upgrade started.

This morning (4 to 5 hours later) the device was still on the "happy face" with moving dots.

I was able to power down and power back up, but it's still in that stage.

Hints? Tips?
Quote:
Oh well; I tried a reset reboot (hold home button down / power on).
LED flashed Blue for about 2 minutes and has now stopped. On the
chance that the battery might have died, have plugged it and am now
seeing a green LED and the happy face with moving dots. Any advice at
all or do I assume this is a dead unit now?
Quote:
Ah... plugged it in, did another factory reset and looks a bit better
now! Back to F/W 1.9
Quote:
After doing the factory reset via the power on with home button depressed; all seemed to work properly.

I'm really not sure what the wife had seen when she initially tried the upgrade last night (I was asleep already by tha time).

It's possible that the device was low on power when it happened initially but I'll never know.

The happy face I'm sure was the standard power-on one, with the exception being that the squares below it kept moving forever.

On the bright side, her Mini survived the upgrade process safely.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #182
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Were the fonts named correctly? Did you power cycle the Mini after copying the fonts into the fonts folder?

Those are the two problems I've seen most often when installing new fonts.

Regards,
David

Yep, try the above steps first and a power cycle is mandatory.
If the font still doesn't work correctly check if the font indentification settings are correct (do this for all four font styles).
The naming of the font under "TrueType Unique ID record" is critical.
If the font naming here is any diffent from the file name the font will probably not correctly recognized.

Example (FontLab Studio 5)
Basic set of font names
Family name: Plantin Std
Weight/Width: normal
Style name: Italic
PS Font name: PlantinStd-Italic
Full name: Plantin Std Italic
Menu name: Plantin Std
FOND name: Plantin Std

Basic identification settings
TrueType Unique ID record:
Code:
1.047;ADBE;PlantinStd-Italic
If the font ID name here is changed to PlantinStd-It, it won't work correctly even if your file name of the font is correct (Plantin Std-Italic). Vendor name and font version number are not important and may be removed.

If you make any changes to the basic set of font names these changes are not automatically applied to the basic identification settings. You have to do this manually.

I've had this problem a few times when using a semibold/semibolditalic as bold and bolditalic.
The naming under basic set of font names was correct but the TT ID still contained a reference to the semibold(italic) version (e.g. 1.047;ADBE;PlantinStd-SemiboldItalic).

Last edited by Anak; 04-22-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #183
fraughton
fraughton began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thanks for the reply PeterT. I just tried another factory reset to no avail. The problem here is no matter what I do my screen is completely blank. The only hint I have is the blinking green light on top, but I havent been able to find a troubleshooting guide with an explanation of what that means.
Im hopeful that kobo will eventually answer the phone and have some help for me.
fraughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #184
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
I had that happen to me, what I could find from searching Google is that a blinking green light with a blank screen means "simple software error". The solution that finally worked for me was to hold the power switch and the light button (I have a Glo) while also pressing the reset button with a paper clip. After a few seconds when I let go the LED turned white and a factory reset started. Interestingly enough, this isn't officially documented anywhere I could find and the official Kobo response was only to press the reset button.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #185
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
The Dutch dictionary doesn't work at all with firmware 2.5.0 installed.
When you highlight a word the dictionary pops up and only displays a message that there is no dictionary entry for the word "……" (fill in any simple, common dutch word).
This dictionary is totally not functioning. It's the original dictionary supplied by Kobo on the Touch.

Did a factory reset and updated through the Kobo Desktop to the new firmware 2.5.0. The problem still exists.
Only encrypted dictionaries are supported under FW 2.5.0. It is somehow funny that Kobo is delivering now the unencrypted version of the Dutch dictionary since a long time (or maybe even for the first time). If you don't like to wait until Kobo delivers the encrypted version, you can extract the folder "dicthtml-nl" from FW 2.1.1 and compress its content to dicthtml-nl.zip and copy it to .kobo\dict. For more information see this thread, but it is a little long. So maybe you better ask there if you some problem.

Last edited by tshering; 04-22-2013 at 11:35 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #186
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@tshering. Thanks, zipped the fw 2.1.1 version and the dictionary works again. Why doesn't Kobo test their firmware?
Maybe its time to complain about Kobo's buggy firmware releases directly by Rakuten HQ. To shake things up.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #187
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
The fast sleep issue has been fixed when waking via the slider (as introduced in 2.4.0) but has not been fixed when waking via the sleep cover (the bug that was present since the Glo's introduction that some have felt was a feature).
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #188
fraughton

Thanks jgoguen. I gave that a try, though I dont have a light button to press, with no success. The screen did change to and remain black the first time, but still have the flashing green light. Subsequent attempts give me a blank white screen and flashing green light.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #189
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraughton View Post
Thanks jgoguen. I gave that a try, though I dont have a light button to press, with no success. The screen did change to and remain black the first time, but still have the flashing green light. Subsequent attempts give me a blank white screen and flashing green light.
I believe with the Touch you use the home button instead of the light button and do the same thing.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #190
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma
Quote:
@tshering. Thanks, zipped the fw 2.1.1 version and the dictionary works again. Why doesn't Kobo test their firmware?
Maybe its time to complain about Kobo's buggy firmware releases directly by Rakuten HQ. To shake things up.
Can you explain what you did to resolve this dictionary problem Anak? Do I have to download firmware 2.1.1.? Or an older version of the Dutch dictionary?

It's a shame that Kobo breaks functionality (dictionaries, navigation from current book back to the shelve it came from, etc etc) and introduces new bugs with every update. All this without communicating with the user-base. Not by mail, not on their website or by other means. It's a shame because Kobo products are technically the best on the market. Anyone with the slightest business and marketing experience can tell you how this behavior will end...
Urdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #191
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I have the Mini and also noticed the dictionary issue, but in the English dictionary it tells me it is unable to find the definition...yet it sometimes follows with the definition.

I've noticed some nice general improvement to the page turns/responsiveness and touch sensitivity. An earlier post mentioned double-page turn issue, but I think that may just be because the screen is more sensitive now - we don't need to press down quite so much, so if you press as you did BEFORE the update, it is probably double-registering.

Last edited by teija; 04-23-2013 at 01:43 PM.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #192
fraughton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
I believe with the Touch you use the home button instead of the light button and do the same thing.
Tried that too. No difference. Got in contact with kobo and ran through their troubleshooting. Still not working. They sent me an email to provide them with my info, which I did. Seeing as the reader is out of warranty, I assume they are not going to do much for me.
If I need to buy a new reader, I'm not sure what to do. I'm really interested in the kobo aura, but I don't know if I can handle the stress that my reader may die every time I sync with kobo to download my latest purchases.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #193
Anak
Fanatic

Incorrect rendering of hyphenated kepubs

Most published epubs are not hyphenated but when a kepub contains soft hyphens in the body text the kepub will not be rendered correctly.
When the text alignment is set to justified. The text-alignment is actually aligned to the left instead to both left and right margins.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #194
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Most published epubs are not hyphenated but when a kepub contains soft hyphens in the body text the kepub will not be rendered correctly.
When the text alignment is set to justified. The text-alignment is actually aligned to the left instead to both left and right margins.
That's not a bug. That's something that's not supported.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #195
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's not a bug. That's something that's not supported.
The one time I tried using soft hyphens in an epub, ADE and my Kobo WiFi both broke words at the soft hyphen but neither showed a hyphen at the break.

Weird toys, these computers...

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote