Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Forums at entourageedge.com down ?

Hm. Just technical problems/maintainance I assume?

Forums and blog at http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php seem to be down at the moment and have been for some hours, apparently.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Yup, were down *all* day yesterday and still not up. I didn't want to be the first one to post about it, in case I looked desperate, but it's very unsettling!

I just want to hear someone say it's temporary and they're working on it, and then I'll feel better!
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
I was on the forums all day yesterday, and the only downtime I noticed was in the evening. They acknowledged it here: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...cement.php?f=2.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

That's weird, because I tried ALL day yesterday and kept getting this message:

Quote:
Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache/2.2.15 (EL) Server at www.entourageedge.com Port 80
I'm still getting that message now, even when trying to view that link you sent me. I get the main entourageedge.com, but nothing related to forum/community. I get that message everywhere. Perhaps, boris, you could let them know that many of us still can't get in?

Could you please paste the contents of their message here for those of us that can't hit that page?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

I'll PM a couple of the admins.
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
borisb
Addict

Just got a response back - someone's going to look into it shortly. A bizarre problem - usually if a server's down it's down for everyone...
Old 09-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
borisb
Addict

I'm told the problem should be fixed now

Apparently one of the servers in the cluster hosting the Forums was still in maintenance mode from yesterday. If you happen to land on that one server, you'd get the outage notice.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #8
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Woohoo! Thanks boris, it does indeed now work for me. Very strange, eh?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
borisb
Addict

It's common for companies to run multiple servers, all running the same website, to handle traffic faster for everyone. More servers also give redundancy if one crashes.

Usually there's one server (or a "load balancing appliance") up front that channels each web page request to the various other servers, sort of like a maitre-d'. Depending on how things are set up, the same users can end up being directed to the same server repeatedly. And if that server has its "Maintenance" page up (instead of the normal website), the user will keep getting that message. This is why you always got the "website down" page, while I (and many others) got through to the forums without a problem. All the admin had to do was flip the sign in the window from "We're Closed" to "We're Open", as it were, on the one server you were always landing on.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Great explanation, boris!

Hubby and I were flushing dns caches etc. last night just to make sure the problem wasn't on my end. When I told him that one of the servers ended up still in maintenance mode he had a d'oh! moment.

I'm glad someone finally did post here, or who knows how long I (and maybe others?) would have just gone on thinking the forum was down. I know a few forum members by twitter name, and I was almost at the point of contacting individuals to see whether they knew what was up. Can't believe how off-kilter I felt when the forums weren't there (for me)!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I'm told the problem should be fixed now

Apparently one of the servers in the cluster hosting the Forums was still in maintenance mode from yesterday. If you happen to land on that one server, you'd get the outage notice.
Ah. Thank you, borisb! Karma is on the way.

I had the same problem as sarah11918 and couldn't reach the forum for about a day (trying 3 or 4 times over that period).
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

The whole entourageedge.com website is down for me now. Forums, store... anyone else?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
borisb
Addict

Are they still down for you, Sarah?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #14
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Sorry, I should have come back and posted when they were back up (for me). All good!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
borisb
Addict

Good to hear