Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Kelly Huddleston
Kelly Huddleston began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile Special Discount for MobileRead Members

Only for MobileRead Members: From October 23 to November 23, I am offering my novel, Alone in the Company of Others, in Kindle, Sony Reader and all other popular ebook formats via smashwords.com at a special price of $1.99.

Please visit: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/4942
Coupon Code: AS97D

What others say about 'Alone in the Company of Others':

"This is both original and accomplished. Kelly Huddleston is such a good writer that she makes the complexities of this novel seem effortless and natural... This is very good as well as ambitious by any standards."
— Best selling author Deborah Lawrenson

"She has written an intricate piece of work that lets you know there are still excellent storytellers left in the world with an innate gift of craftsmanship."
— Author Joyce Norman

Below is my guest appearance on The Super Late Show with Graig Dufferson where I talk about my novel, Alone in the Company of Others:

Kelly Huddleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, Kelly.

I'm glad to see that you have made your work available to more than just Kindle owners, and thank you for the special offer to MR members. The you tube video of The Super Late Show was cute and something different.

Good Luck with your book and keep us informed about your current work.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 04:15 AM   #3
Kelly Huddleston

Thank you, dreams.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to buy a Sony Reader rather than a Kindle? Also, what do you enjoy most about digitial reading? Convenience, list of book prices, or something else?
Old 10-24-2009, 04:52 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Huddleston View Post
Thank you, dreams.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to buy a Sony Reader rather than a Kindle?
My son bought it for me last Christmas. He was on a plane with someone who had the Sony 505. They discussed it, he tried it, and ended up buying it for me. She had talked him out of the Kindle.

Quote:
Also, what do you enjoy most about digitial reading? Convenience, list of book prices, or something else?
I have a zippered cover on my Sony, so it fits in my purse. I can pull it out and read anywhere, even in line. I can borrow books from the library if I want, I can buy books from more than just the Sony store (especially ePub), and I can use many formats (DRM'd and non DRM).

After learning about the various devices by reading posts, I think my son chose the perfect one for me. I love having a large choice of reading.... short stories for small periods of time and long works for quiet set aside reading time.

I tend to buy more books listed below $4 USD and have only bought a few above that. I am more willing to try a new author if their first book is free or below $3 USD. Mainly because that is what I would pay if I went to a used bookstore and decided to try someone new. Usually, a friend would lend me a book to try a new author, so with the low price on a new author's work, I'm more willing to pay for the ebook.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Kelly Huddleston

I have a thing for airplanes. In my current work-in-progress, one of my characters is born on an airplane. Here's an interesting question: if a person is born on an airplane, then what is his place of birth? I know the answer (because I researched it). What's your guess?
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Kelly - Thanks for the generous offer. I've purchased your book and added it to my ever-growing list of books to be read.

However, I did want to let you know about an apparent EPUB formatting problem. It appears that either different sized fonts were used for different paragraphs or some paragraphs are boldfaced while others are not, as some paragraphs are much more difficult to read than others. I haven't loaded this on my Sony 505, but these problems appear onscreen in both Calibre and Sigil.

I then downloaded the lrf version and did not see similar problems, so perhaps the problem is limited to EPUB.

Also, the metadata has your publisher listed as the author rather than you. This is obviously easy to fix in Calibre, but I wanted to let you know there is a slight metatdata problem as well as the EPUB formatting problem.

Thanks again for your generous offer.

SteveK

P.S. My guess is that the infant's place of birth would be the mother's city of departure.

Last edited by SteveK; 10-24-2009 at 10:03 AM.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Kelly Huddleston

Dear SteveK,

Thanks very much for your message. I hope you enjoy Alone in the Company of Others. Also thank you for making me aware of the EPUB formatting issues.

I am not aware of Calibre or Sigil. Do these represent ebook reading devices? Do you plan to read the book on your Sony Reader? If yes, then it would be great if you could let me know how the EPUB edition looks once downloaded to your reader. Sorry for all the trouble, but it's important to me that the book is formatted correctly for all ebook reading devices.

Thanks again,
Kelly

PS - Regarding 'airplane' babies, you're close but not quite right... Any more guesses?

Last edited by Kelly Huddleston; 10-24-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Kelly - As you requested, I loaded the EPUB file onto my Sony reader, and the same formatting problems appeared. It appears that at least two different fonts are used for different paragraphs, as well as the intended italics. Again, I did not notice this in the lrf version (and obviously haven't downloaded other versions).

Calibre and Sigil are both software products. I use Calibre as my "library" and to transfer books to my reader. I use Sigil only when I want to edit an EPUB file to add chapter breaks, etc. I primarily use it for books I download from Project Gutenberg.

Thanks.

SteveK

P.S. Guess 2: Mother's destination city
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
Kelly Huddleston

Thank you, SteveK, for all your feedback. It seems as though Smashwords.com needs to be contacted for further help!

Guess Number Two is incorrect. Hint: rethink the noun.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I think that the Sony eBook Library software (downloadable without needing a Sony Reader) does a good job of displaying what the ePub would look like on an real Sony Reader.

As for the flight, I believe that the answer could depend upon a number of things, including the nationality of the aircraft's registration and/or the exact position of the aircraft...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Until the landing wheels touch ground, the child is considered a citizen of the city of departure (If it is like something I saw on TV for the FBI)
Old 10-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Airplane question: AFAIK it's not exactly the same in every country, but I thought it was commonly the airplane's registered country.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I have a thing for airplanes. In my current work-in-progress, one of my characters is born on an airplane. Here's an interesting question: if a person is born on an airplane, then what is his place of birth? I know the answer (because I researched it). What's your guess?
So, what's the answer? My guess is, the place the plane lands after the birth.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #14
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
The airplane birth is pretty complicated
For a detailed explanation go to http://people.howstuffworks.com/air-birth.htm
They also show a sample birth certificate.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:26 AM   #15
Kelly Huddleston

tech_au is right.

According to the United Nations, a child born in-flight is born in the airplane's registered country. So that means, I'm guessing, the child gains the airplane's registered country's citzenship. If you're born on a Turkish Airlines flight, you're Turkish even if your parents are American or British or anything else for that matter. Perhaps you gain dual citzenship? How stange and complicated, indeed!

Speaking of airplanes, does anyone have any outrageous/horrible/interesting airplane stories? It might help with my novel-in-progress.