Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 01:48 AM   #61
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
Um... OK.
I guess you get the need then?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:27 AM   #62
moxy789
moxy789 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I just got my Kindle 2 today and a possible fix to the no folder problems occurred to me. As a crude tagging system, I tried to add a note at the beginning of each book containing the tags. Then, I could go over to My Clippings and search "T:Mystery" and a list of books I had noted with T:Mystery would be returned.

However, my issue now is that while the title of the books are listed I can't maneuver from My Clippings directly over to the book of my choice. Is it possible and I'm missing the link or something?

Oh and even if it were possible what do you think of this idea? I've only had my Kindle for a few hours and only about 20 books on it so I can't accurately gauge the practicality of this "system".

Last edited by moxy789; 02-28-2009 at 02:36 AM.
moxy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #63
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
I guess you get the need then?
Well I hope you guys eventually get your folders.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Also, I can set up my own library on my PC or WEB server with folders and any oganization scheme I want. With my Kindle I can browse that repository and d/l whatever my heart or head wants.
Are there not major copyright issues associated with doing that? How do you ensure that you, and you alone, can download those books?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #65
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are there not major copyright issues associated with doing that? How do you ensure that you, and you alone, can download those books?
You do not tell anybody about it maybe? Having something at a secret address is not making it publicly available for example.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #66
ChelC
Enthusiast
ChelC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OK... lets take a breath here and not start insulting people.

---

Personally I certainly "understand" wanting folder and/or tags. Heck, I want them too. What I don't understand is feeling this is a show stopper. That said, there are other devices that do support folders... so if Kindle isn't for you... I'm ok with that.

Also, disagreement doesn't equate to lack of understanding. There are just some things that people don't agree on. That's fine to. As Mr. Spock says, infinite diversity in infinite combination (IDIC) is what makes the community stronger.

BOb
No reason to take things personally. I was responding to someone who said they didn't understand the need for folders... I was trying to help them understand that there is one.
ChelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You do not tell anybody about it maybe? Having something at a secret address is not making it publicly available for example.
"Security through obscurity" is not a very successful protection strategy. That's been proved multiple times .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #68
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Not if you protect it with basic auth or kerberos password. This is really for your own private use.

Then again, if they are all PD books, then it doesn't really matter if it is open. But, MR and Feedbooks is my repository for PD stuff.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #69
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
A user name and password, obviously (cf. the server built into Calibre, or just standard .htpasswd files). Same as securing any other web site, same as the many tools that allow people to access their private music collection over the net.

Last edited by bwaldron; 02-28-2009 at 01:02 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #70
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I have a bunch of mine on my website in a password protected directory. Works well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #71
nicolasqueen
Full Fledged Newbie
nicolasqueen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis; Likebook Mars
Hmm, I sorta figured the Kindle would have a sorting mechanism of some type (by genre or such). Is this not the case?
nicolasqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #72
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasqueen View Post
Hmm, I sorta figured the Kindle would have a sorting mechanism of some type (by genre or such). Is this not the case?
You can sort by author, title or add/read date. You can search by genre's in the store when buying of course.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #73
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Give me Goto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Unless something has changed with the K2, you can indeed do that if you have your library sorted by author or title.

micro-USB is not proprietary or non-standard (save for being rather new).
It is in fact the same cable used by the Blackberry Storm. I carry my Kindle 2's USB brick and my Storm's USB cable around in my Vaio P's ditty bag to keep both devices juiced up. You never know when those 3G radios are going to turn on you and drain the batteries in a couple hours.

I have 55 pages of content currently and find myself looking up titles by name using the search feature. You know, like you do at a brick and mortar library.

I'm personally happy thinking of each page of titles as a shelf. What I'd like would be the ability to goto a shelf like you can goto a page. That would make my Kindle a bit friendlier. And then of course I'd like to be able to pick which shelves to put the titles on and have them stay there...
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #74
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
Folder or collections as on my Sony-505. Tags won't do it.

Plain and simple - can't make it any clearer than this. I do not want to see all my books listed on the home pages. I only want to see the few books magazines newspapers I am currently reading, and then I want to see nothing but folders whose names I created. If I want another book, I can go to that folder, open it up and it should then appear on my home menu with my current books. And if I want to assign a book on the home pages back to a folder, I should be able to store it back out of the way - or delete it.

Love my Kindle-2 very much, but to have every single book magazine newspaper blog audio book show up on the home pages and have to sort and sift through it is nuts. If I had the 1,500 books stored, there is no way on earth I could possibly remember all the titles and authors to try to make it easier to lsort to ocate an item. To even suggest that is a solution is denying reality.

For those who don't think this is an issue, consider that the current Kindle-2 has vastly more storage space that the original. Imagine the next Kindle version with 20GB of storage space - thanks to future smaller less expensive chips. The concept of seeing everything show up in the home pages and having to sort and search through it all is simply mind numbing.

Listen to what users are saying when they plead for folders. It needs to happen, and it will happen guaranteed.

I currently store all my "free" non copyright eBooks on my laptop in a Kindle folder with subfolders for categories so I can find them easily and transfer them via USB when I want to read one. I delete a book when read and on my laptop move it to a READ subfolder. As a result I only have about 8 books at any time on my Kindle which is simply an absurd waste of that 1.4GB storage capacity.

However, by no means was the lack of folders a factor that would have led me to not buy my Kindle-2. I still have and use my Sony for which I have over 800 free eBooks on my laptop in folders for ease of access. But I'll guarantee you one thing, I will not buy the next Kindle if it doesn't have folders/collections.

Bob
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #75
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
"Security through obscurity" is not a very successful protection strategy. That's been proved multiple times .
Eh, not security. The question was if something was legally publicly available. And I would say it is not if nobody knows about it. In the same way that not locking your door does not make it publicly available.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote