Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Humber
Humber began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo Touch now...or wait? What would you do?

This is my very first post!

I have, sitting right beside still UN-opened, my brand new Kobo Touch.

I do have a Wi-Fi Kobo however, that is also sitting right beside me.

The Kobo Touch was a gift and I can barely stop myself from tearing into it and setting it all up...but the more I read, the more I'm apprehensive about keeping the Touch NOW (as opposed to waiting a few months for the 'glitches' to be corrected.)

So, those who have been in the same position...would you keep the Kobo Touch now and just deal with the issues and hope they get corrected or would you be happy with the Kobo you currently have (only 6 months old) and wait for a bit until the 'bugs' are all worked out?

Help quickly, before I tear into the box and regret it.
Humber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
um...you have it, why not use it . It's not like you're thinking of going out to buy it.

Personally, I loved my wifi; it worked fine and did what I wanted it to do; The touch was an extravagant buy for me, but one I don't regret as the touch is an improvement over the wifi in a number of areas (weight, speed, features). If you were debating buying it, I'm sure people could give you arguments both for and against, but since you already have it, there's really no decision to make
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I've owned both the previous Kobo generations for a while before giving them away, and I think my new Touch is the biggest improvement yet. Absolutely I would open the new one if I were you. I'm sure some minor glitches will be fixed by firmware updates over the next few months (and probably others not), but it's pretty good just as it is.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
which repoted 'gliches' concern you? Are they deal breakers? Personally I have yet to experience any glitches so I think you should just open it and enjoy.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Humber
Humber began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
THANK YOU!

I guess I was getting a little 'worried' about some of the 'bad' things people were reporting (factory resets cause books are disappearing, ghosting, touch screens not working,etc.)

But I just needed someone to confirm that I should 'just do it.'

So I will be opening the box now.

Thanks!
Humber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I'd assume that any 'glitches' that are likely to be worked out are in the software, not the hardware. You'll get the software updates if/when they come.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Yup Humber, good choice! Nothing to worry about. With the latest 1.9.4 update basically everything is fixed that needs to be. Now there can only be good things coming in terms of new and improved features.
joshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote