Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #16
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bayjunkie View Post
what store did you see it in?
I saw the Kindle at Best Buy and at Target. Target display of course was the best.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #17
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by custard View Post
ouch... that does seem rather expensive for a small light.

I have a small lamp near my bed so I wont need a light for then - not sure about other situations as I've not tried an e-book before.

I think if you want a cheaper solution then you could try the headlight option as Prof-Crash suggests - but you could then blind whoever interrupts you as you look up! I have two friends who have been camping once but have a lot of camping equipment and they love their headlights! lol

I should think if you use a sturdy enough backboard for the cover then it would hold a light?
ie: use a hardback book cover which could be reinforced with more card or even use a slim piece of wood as the base of the hand-made cover - add some wadding or foam which would add some cushioning to protect the kindle and I should think that would hold up a lamp rather well.

Maybe once you've received the Kindle you'll be able to see a better option - it's hard to guess when it's not right in front of you - maybe hold off until then to decide on what light?
I got an email that I will received the Kindle on Monday, so I had better start gathering some materials to make a cover, or go shopping for a bargain. I wonder if Ross carries anything I could use ready made.
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 07:33 PM   #18
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find the Amazon lighted cover to be very good indeed.
I agree.

It's easier than having two implements to control, and when you are not using it it is very unobtrusive.

Welcome to MR.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #19
new

I read the .pdf file for the new Kindle, it won't not here til Monday, but I do have a question.

Question 1:
What number do you use off of the Kindle to put in my network I think it is called a MAC address on the Ipod Touch when I put it in my network. You know so only my equipment is listed on the network. The instructions didn't mention where this is on the Kindle or if they even have one. Thanks.

Question 2:
Is it better to convert a .pdf file to .mobi or email it to Amazon to convert? Is there a difference? I am unclear on how to do this and how do you receive it back from Amazon? Does it just transfer into the Kindle? Thanks.

Last edited by new; 01-02-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I believe the mac address will show on one of the Settings' pages. From HOME, press Menu and select Settings.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil75070 View Post
With the Amazon Kindle cover with light, obviously the upper right corner directly under the light is the brightest while the bottom left corner is dimmer. However, even that bottom left corner is more than sufficiently lit for reading. IMHO
The key benefit of the lighted cover - and this is something that no external light gives you - is that the light automatically goes out when you fall asleep reading and the Kindle goes to sleep. I use my lighted cover almost exclusively for reading in bed, and find that incredibly useful.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #22
CrayWolf
Enthusiast
CrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with others

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The key benefit of the lighted cover - and this is something that no external light gives you - is that the light automatically goes out when you fall asleep reading and the Kindle goes to sleep. I use my lighted cover almost exclusively for reading in bed, and find that incredibly useful.
I have to admit the only reason I was willing to spend $60 on the Amazon lighted cover is because the light is powered by the Kindle battery. That's how much I hate having separate batteries to keep track of.

That said, it really is a very nice cover. Sturdy, soft interior, comfortable enough to hold, and the Kindle feels very secure in it.
CrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #23
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I believe the mac address will show on one of the Settings' pages. From HOME, press Menu and select Settings.
Thanks.

Do you know is it better to convert a .pdf file to .mobi or email it to Amazon to convert? Is there a difference? I am unclear on how to do this and how do you receive it back from Amazon? Does it just transfer into the Kindle? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #24
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
A comment on cases:

I bought a lighted Kindle cover for my daughter. I love the integral light and unfettered access to the top of the K3. I cheaped out for me, bought something cheaper, and regret it.

I seldom need a light. But when I do, I've found it a hassle to tote around separate gear when it could all be self contained and powered by the K3 lighted cover.

Now I have two cases and two lights which I will have to return if I elect to get the K3 lighted cover. In the end, adding in return shipping costs, I will spend much more than I would have if I had not cheaped out in the first place. You would think I would have learned my lesson by now. But no... I continue to have to learn the hard way!

I'm in the returning process now.

Last edited by speedlever; 01-04-2011 at 12:37 PM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #25
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I didn't buy the lighted cover. I have the unlighted cover that I got for Christmas (that hasn't caused me any problems yet, knock wood). I also got a gift card from Best Buy so I used that to get the M-Edge eLuminator2 light. Hopefully that works out well enough for me. It just seemed like $60 for a cover would be overkill for my budget, and I really only need it for around the house (especially in bed).
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #26
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Thanks.

Do you know is it better to convert a .pdf file to .mobi or email it to Amazon to convert? Is there a difference? I am unclear on how to do this and how do you receive it back from Amazon? Does it just transfer into the Kindle? Thanks.
Actually, I don't know which results in a better product. You might just try both methods. And it also might vary on the nature of the original pdf file - one with drawings/images or mixed with columns. Calibre (see subforum) can convert from pdf to mobi. For the Amazon transfer you need to use ManageKindle on their site and give permission to an email address you use to send items to the kindle. Then you mail it, for example to new@kindle.com, your kindle's email address (which also shows up on one of the setting's screens.)
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #27
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I did hesitate to spend $59 for the Amazon lighted cover, but I have no regrets! The leather is very nice, the cover is well-made, the hinge system holds the Kindle in place without interfering with the front of the device, and the light works great.

Enjoy your new Kindle, new!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote