Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #241
kaswistry
kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
What knc1 said. Choose "Update your Kindle" from the "Settings" screen.

Without being too annoyingly technical: the key "checked" by just restarting the device as opposed to choosing "Update your kindle" is the wrong one.

I actually picked Update Your Kindle from the first time I tried doing this til now.

I pick Update Your Kindle and it asks me "You are about to update the software on your kindle.."

I click the affirmative. It says

"Update successful. Kindle is restarting"

and then the boy and the tree shows up with something like

"Please wait a moment while we configure kindle blah blah"

That is when I get to the:

"The update was not successful. Update Error: 3"

Prior to this I tried the GUI Launcher, installed it but nothing happened. I thought I did something wrong so I kept doing it until I read that it doesn't work on my FW.

Is it possible that in doing so, I 'changed' something in the files?
kaswistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #242
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
No. But you put TWO update files on the device. The first one gets installed, while the second one just sits there until the device reboots. And guess what: the device will try to install the second one on startup, and fails with error 3 because it's not a recovery image.

The solution is as simple as installing the updates one by one.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #243
kaswistry
kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
No. But you put TWO update files on the device. The first one gets installed, while the second one just sits there until the device reboots. And guess what: the device will try to install the second one on startup, and fails with error 3 because it's not a recovery image.

The solution is as simple as installing the updates one by one.
Oh God, I assumed that the instructions said you install them both at the same time (since they appeared in one step together!). I'm trying to install it correctly now. Let this be a lesson for other newbies out there. They're not supposed to be together! LOL

Update:

It now works. Sweet. Now for me to try Adtoggle and see how comfortable I am without the ads around. If it looks better that they're not there, then I'd be willing to shell out the $20

Last edited by kaswistry; 01-31-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #244
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaswistry View Post
It now works. Sweet. Now for me to try Adtoggle and see how comfortable I am without the ads around. If it looks better that they're not there, then I'd be willing to shell out the $20

AdToggle is not supported here any longer.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #245
kaswistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
AdToggle is not supported here any longer.
I just read a post a minute ago that said so. I understand. Thanks for the all the help still.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #246
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Investigating achieving a "known state". Possibly the stop() not firing "as expected" is having an impact. Needs further DERPing.
I think I found the same thing:

toolbar -> search -> ;711
Works.

AND THEN:
launcher -> 711
Sort of works - the report page is displayed along with the 'close' button ;
Pressing the 'close' button returns to the launcher list.
I.E: The launcher never exited.

Suggeston: Check that entry is being 'executed' (chained to) not just called (so that it runs as a child of the launcher).

Note: Chaining to the user selected entry will also allow you to capture the return code from the selected entry.
Should also eliminate the "suicide kindlet" code.
Since by chaining to the selected entry, the selected entry has replaced the kindlet's code with its own (I.E: no going back to Kindlet - its in the bit bucket already).

BIG EDIT:

twobob - you are going to love this one:

Having just: laucher -> 711 -> info display -> close ;
Returns me to the 'home' (page 1/2) icon screen (reasonable) ;
Touch the 1/2 -> select page 2 -> see page two of the icon screen displayed (reasonable) ;
Now touch the '<' button in the tool-bar.

Duh - where do you expect to end up? Page 1 of the icon screen?
Nope - you are back to the 711 info display page (that little sucker is still in there).

You can do this - just need the correct inspiration:
Spoiler:

You know where I live in case you want to take my Kpw away from me to stop this testing.

Last edited by knc1; 01-31-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #247
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
I always use Programmer's notepad from when I first had lots of problems with line endings.
Anyway, I'll check twice before releasing (BTW, no new releases until I have some spare time!).

This launcher could really beat the original one! It could also display images along with extension's name!!
I'm loving it!!
And if you also use WinSCP - that program will often "correct" the line-endings for you (to what B.Gates thinks they should be).
Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #248
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
You know where I live in case you want to take my Kpw away from me to stop this testing.
Next bug - -

The 'suicide launcher' kills itself (intended) too fast for some of the scripts to complete.

Example (USB cable connected, and storage mode ejected):
Launcher -> Toggle USB network ;
Returns to home icon screen ;
Laucher -> kTerm (kTerm displays - expected) ;

Now - the toggling of USB network fails and over-writes match-box keyboard with the error message:
"N E failed to set usb0 ip, this is bad" **

Not only will that script have to be 'executed' but either on the execute command line, or in the start-up script, its stderr needs be redirected (or whatever its using for error messages).

** I need to make some config changes in the desktop I am plugging this thing into (or maybe check what that toggle is really trying to do).

Without having a USB0 defined prior to the above test, without dhcp for its MAC address defined prior to the above test - - -

Linux Mint automation detected the creation of an USB0 device, created the device:
Code:
core2quad ~ $ ip link show usb0
6: usb0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether ee:49:00:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
But without an assignment configured for the Linux Mint automation - that would never have been assigned an IP address (I will have to fix that).

A the Kindle end, since my LAN dhcp server is set to filter by MAC addresses - it never answered. (I think I can fix that - but it may need a bit of tweaking things here and on the Kindle.)

Eventually, I assume, my desktop and/or the Kindle would have given up trying.
Instead of waiting, I killed the connection attempt manually.

Last edited by knc1; 01-31-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #249
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now - the toggling of USB network fails and over-writes match-box keyboard with the error message:
"N E failed to set usb0 ip, this is bad" **

Not only will that script have to be 'executed' but either on the execute command line, or in the start-up script, its stderr needs be redirected (or whatever its using for error messages).
That occasionally happens, and is a problem with usbnetwork itself. Sometimes it actually still works (despite showing the error), but most of the times the network connection does get setup, but SSH connects will fail.

Oh, and it uses eips to draw on the screen

Solution/workaround: only toggle usbnetwork when the cable is unplugged.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #250
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
That occasionally happens, and is a problem with usbnetwork itself. Sometimes it actually still works (despite showing the error), but most of the times the network connection does get setup, but SSH connects will fail.

Oh, and it uses eips to draw on the screen

Solution/workaround: only toggle usbnetwork when the cable is unplugged.
Since your here - another noob question ::

Why, when the config file has a static IP set, is this USBnetwork thing trying DHCP anyway?

Do not be too fast to answer this question, I need some time to set up the network tap and record stuff to confirm the above guesses.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #251
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Since your here - another noob question ::

Why, when the config file has a static IP set, is this USBnetwork thing trying DHCP anyway?

Do not be too fast to answer this question, I need some time to set up the network tap and record stuff to confirm the above guesses.
I have no idea

I didn't write any part of the usbnetwork stuff, I'm only using it. usbnetwork is yifanlu's and NiLuJe's beast.

But I don't think (speculation!) that the Kindle tries to request a DHCP address.

For me (Ubuntu), it's actually the opposite: my laptop detects a new network connection and tries to autoconfigure itself. I have simply defined a profile matching the usb0 MAC address, which sets the laptop's IP address to the required value. So while it tries to autoconfigure, I just select that profile.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #252
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
For me (Ubuntu), it's actually the opposite: my laptop detects a new network connection and tries to autoconfigure itself. I have simply defined a profile matching the usb0 MAC address, which sets the laptop's IP address to the required value. So while it tries to autoconfigure, I just select that profile.
That missing part was described in a "later than your quote" edit to my post.

But the bug report was about the possibility of over-writing the output of the **next** launched application by the output of the **prior** launched application.

USBnetwork only happened to be the first one that generated an example of the bug.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #253
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
I think I found the same thing:

toolbar -> search -> ;711
Works.

AND THEN:
launcher -> 711
Sort of works - the report page is displayed along with the 'close' button ;
Pressing the 'close' button returns to the launcher list.
I.E: The launcher never exited.
This shouldn't have happened. It means that the launcher failed to suicide() after running the script. I don't know why.

Quote:
Suggeston: Check that entry is being 'executed' (chained to) not just called (so that it runs as a child of the launcher).

Note: Chaining to the user selected entry will also allow you to capture the return code from the selected entry.
Should also eliminate the "suicide kindlet" code.
Since by chaining to the selected entry, the selected entry has replaced the kindlet's code with its own (I.E: no going back to Kindlet - its in the bit bucket already).
That's quite simply impossible. Remember that the launcher is not a native script, but a kindlet running in the VM of the framework process, and its interactions with the system are very "indirect". Runtime.exec() is about the only thing that we can do within Java. That's why the commands are launched in the background, and then the launcher suicides (well, should...)

So the real problem is that the launcher isn't always terminating correctly. Maybe simply having the background script wait 2 seconds (or so) before executing the target could solve both issues. In principle, that should have given the launcher the time to terminate, before the target actually starts up.

I can't test it right now, but if anybody could...
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #254
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I can't test it right now, but if anybody could...
I think this problem of behavior is caused by the info page having a "close" button and it is waiting to be tapped by the user.

So unless all users are satisfied with touching the button within 2 seconds - - -
Duh...
No, a fixed time-out isn't going to work.
I think we need to wait for or capture that button event.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #255
ixtab
(offline)

I think you're getting something wrong here. The flow of actions is (within the Kindlet):
1. start application in the background. Logically (=pseudo-code), it's Runtime.getRuntime.exec("thetargetrunner.sh"), where thetargetrunner.sh contains "thetarget.sh &".
2. LauncherKindlet.this.suicide().

The problem seems to be that the suicide() method doesn't work reliably - maybe(!) because the Kindlet has already been "backgrounded", because the target was faster to show than the Kindlet was to terminate. (Again, all just speculation!).

So, conceptually, you're right about "chaining" vs. "forking" - but the method doesn't seem to work the way we want it to. Maybe the method used here (3rd post) works better, because it launches the target only after the Kindlet was destroyed (or rather: while it is being destroyed). Will try once I get home.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified