Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
PB under the microscope

Hi everyone

I bought an USB microscope and I wanted to see what the eink screens look like so here it is:

For gray I looked at what we are all familiar with: No 1 E-READER

Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Can the microscope run in continuous mode? It would be neat to watch the display changing colour.

Thanks for the pictures!
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Can the microscope run in continuous mode? It would be neat to watch the display changing colour.

Thanks for the pictures!
Yes, it makes videos, but the file extension is dzc and it's not valid for attachment here. If you PM me your email I can send it to you.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Yes, it makes videos, but the file extension is dzc and it's not valid for attachment here. If you PM me your email I can send it to you.
Hmm, I'm not sure I can play such a file on my Linux systems. Too bad.

Can you actually see the little spheres rotating to a new position as the display changes?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not sure I can play such a file on my Linux systems. Too bad.

Can you actually see the little spheres rotating to a new position as the display changes?
I can also save the videos as wmv.
I can't see the little spheres rotating, but I can see all the steps it goes through to when I turn the page.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
pbmaniac
Enthusiast
pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PB Pro 903, F/W 2.1.3=>downgraded to 2.1.2-fastdrv because of WIFI-bug
Cool. Reminds me a bit of some text printed onto a piece of styrofoam. Also interesting that the particles have different sizes and shapes. I always thought they were more homogenous.

Now I would be really keen on seeing the particles of a Pearl-display, especially how they differ from the Vizplex ones.
pbmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
rkomar
Wizard

I've uploaded the wmv movie sent to me by Sil_liS by zipping it first to get around the file type restriction. Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: zip eink640x480.zip (1.11 MB, 221 views)
Old 02-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thank you both!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Take a look here,
a very interesting article and pictures of EINK screen made with SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope)

Here also a short video of working Eink screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKOcPZOWwwA

Last edited by Booxtor; 02-26-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard

Thanks, Booxtor. It's clearer to me now how the displays work. I thought the microcapsules actually rotated to bring their white or black sides to the top, rather than the particles moving inside them. But now I'm more confused about the stability of the image. Having all the negative black particles on one side of the microcapsule, and the positive white particles on the other side is energetically unstable; the like charges will repel each other and be attracted to the opposite charges. It seems to me that you would need to keep applying the external electric field at all times to keep the particles in position. Yet we know that this isn't true, that the display can keep an image while powered off. What keeps the charged particles in their place? Is the fluid really viscous (more like a gel)?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
I've uploaded the wmv movie sent to me by Sil_liS by zipping it first to get around the file type restriction. Enjoy.
what seems clear to me is that ANY e-ink screen has some "dead pixels", well litter of a pixel to be honest, that can not be set to white and stay always black
so this could be a parameter to evaluate the quality of the screen .. the less.. the better..
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by repods View Post
what seems clear to me is that ANY e-ink screen has some "dead pixels", well litter of a pixel to be honest, that can not be set to white and stay always black
so this could be a parameter to evaluate the quality of the screen .. the less.. the better..
Technically it's not dead pixels it's just dead capsules. The pixels are much bigger. Also they aren't black, but gray. They make white darker and black lighter.

I'm also attaching a video of how an A4 pdf looks on my PB360Plus (fit width).
Attached Files
File Type: rar pdf640x480.rar (1.31 MB, 179 views)