Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
kcnightfang
kcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-900 but selling to move to and Ipad
Where do you get books for your Sony Reader?

Ok, so I was considering the Nook, but after playing with it, some UI decisions made me look elsewhere. I'm really liking the look of the upcoming PRS-900, however, I have just one major question; where do you get your books?

I know there's the Sony store, but I'm also aware that most books cost more there than at Amazon or from B&N. So, I was looking around for some third party sellers with Epub books, but couldn't find any really good ones for general books. I really mostly Sci-Fi and Fantasy, with some theology and philosophy books thrown in.

I was also wondering if it's possible to get them from Amazon and convert and strip DRM. I have Calibre on my Mac currently, so I'm wondering if I can convert/strip in that.

I realize this is a newbie question, but any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I also would like to use an Ebook reader for my roleplaying books, so I'm also curious as to how the Sony readers handle PDF.
kcnightfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Anywhere, with the Sony you can price hunt for your books. My favorites are BooksonBoard and CyberReads (they are good for coupons). The Sony bookstore is also a great store, while I stopped shopping there because I could not liberate my books after adding a 2nd reader; I rarely had any problems finding the kind of books I loved to read. Do what I did in Dec 2007, it was between the Kindle 1 and Sony PRS-505 for me but gosh I hated how the K1 looked. Anyway, I decided to search the 2 bookstores for some of my genre and authors and I was satisfy enough to go with my 1st choice, Sony PRS-505. Now you have even more bookstore options for Sony since the PRS-900 will be ePub dominate, to help you decide.

Last edited by Lilly; 12-15-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Where to start for good books

Baen Free Library is a very good place to get started.
http://www.baen.com/library

And not to push Baen but when you want to spend money try
http://www.baen.com/

And then there is (related to Baen)
http://www.webscription.net/

The great thing about the above is that THEY DO NOT USE DRM in any of the formts. So if you download a book in one format and later buy/get a different ereader then you can download the same book in a new format.

To restate it - if you buy a book from them you can download it again in ANY format they use.

Did I tell you that I like them?

www.ebookwise.com has good prices and is another good place to go.

Then too there is www.fictionwise.com for good prices and if you select "MultiFormat" then you are almost as well set as Baen Books.

Good luck

P.S. If you're interested in converting non-DRM books into a format that you need then get Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 12-15-2009 at 09:28 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm happy with the prices I pay at the Sony store (personal preference), so I get my books primarily from there. I also get books here on MobileRead and have once or twice used fictionwise. I also just downloaded a freebie from Smashwords (and those books will be available on Sony soon) by a MR author. When it comes to popular books, I'm usually happy as long as the books are cheaper than their paper versions somewhat. Plus I'm lazy

If you like Scifi/fantasy, you should check out the Baen Free Library. I don't know much about it but I know quite a few members on here love it.

Sony's, and most readers in general, don't handle PDF very well. It's a pretty icky format. Usually it's basically a picture of a book, so when you zoom on a small screen, you can imagine how it looks. Sony Readers reflow them, but it's not ideal. Are the role playing books only available in PDF? I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising individuals made them into different formats.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnightfang View Post
I was also wondering if it's possible to get them from Amazon and convert and strip DRM. I have Calibre on my Mac currently, so I'm wondering if I can convert/strip in that.

P.S. I also would like to use an Ebook reader for my roleplaying books, so I'm also curious as to how the Sony readers handle PDF.
As Lilly says, there are many stores that sell ePubs. This includes UK bookstores, although then you get the geographic restriction run around that the rest of the world goes through in the US. The only ePubs you cannot currently use on the Sonys are those from B&N, because they are using a new "password" DRM that isn't on the Sony's yet (and perhaps never will be).

Currently, Kindle for PC is your best bet for buying Kindle ebooks for the Sony. Its DRM has not yet been circumvented, but i♥cabbages is close to a solution. Note that at best only AZW ebooks will be available, no one has a handle on Amazon's TOPAZ ebook portability yet. If you have an iPhone/iPod Touch it is already possible to shift its Kindle app AZW files to ePub.

The 7" screen of the PRS-900 might be good enough in landscape to read letter/A4 PDFS. Particularly since it will have an autocrop margins mode.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 12:26 AM   #6
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I primarily use the Sony Store but just discovered Books on Board and love them. The new Michael Crichton was not on the Sony store but available at BOB for $9.99. BOB also doesn't seem to have the same geographical restrictions for Canadians. The Thirteenth Tale has been blocked from Canadians since forever on the Sony site, I got it from BOB
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:16 AM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Also, take a look at the Wiki (see link at the top of the page) which contains all kinds of info, including where to find free and non free books.
Some formats are easier to convert than others. PDF are the worst.
I've haven't yet bought a book: I download freebies of the public domain and give-away type.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:39 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I don't think anyone mentioned it as yet, but there are thousands of free books available right here in MobileRead that you can search by genre or author. THOUSANDS!!! Also, for wonderful sources of free books check out the various Guttenberg Projects, US, Canada, and Australia.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
sononkyo
sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS300S, PRS505S (ret.) PRS 500 (ret.)
option 1-3: my library

Any other place with "free" content such as kobo (aka shortcovers.com)
sononkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
Dalwyn
Dalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
I like Shortcovers.com (recently converted to KOBO).
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
For me:

Reader Store (post-ePub conversion, never bought a book from them previously)
Kobo (found a book in ePub I couldn't find anywhere else except in MOBI)
Fictionwise (Less so now that fewer and fewer books are appearing in LIT)
Feedbooks

Failing that, I just look through the list of stores selling ADE versions, but right now, these are the 4 sources I trust.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
ostler99
ostler99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ostler99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ostler99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ostler99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ostler99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 700, iRex 1000s
Buy books already formatted in lrf on ebay
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Or just search google

Beware of pirated copies.
ostler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do not buy ePub from B&N. They will not work with any reader other than a nook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostler99 View Post
Buy books already formatted in lrf on ebay
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Or just search google

Beware of pirated copies.
The ones I saw on your link looked like all books in the public domain, which you can get for free here on MobileRead, among other places.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:26 AM   #15
kcnightfang
kcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-900 but selling to move to and Ipad
Thanks for all the input! It's re-assured me greatly, so I will be going with the PRS-900. Now if only there was a source for legit copies of the Malazan Book of the Fallen...
kcnightfang is offline   Reply With Quote