Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
Lago
Connoisseur
Lago doesn't litterLago doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, REB1200, PRS-600
i love my 1150, BUT.....

i take issues wit a few miner things..

1) MEMORY, as im sure i share this complaint with many here, spending $40 on a 128 MB memory card does NOT go over well with me. i have discussed other options, abd while there are XD card adaptors out there, theyre,, less then helpful honestly. and the 128MB cap quite frankly sucks. with SD, XD, MMC cards plentiful, id LOVE to be able to use them.

2) the screen, i rather like it actually, but its hard to read in sunlight, the backlight keeps me reading any time, day or night, as long as im not outside. if i had to guess, backing the LCD with a white board would solve this somewhat at least, but then id loose the backlight. E_Ink would be great, were it not for the flashing, and the virtual impossibility of a backlight. color would be swell too. i really like that about my 1200.

3) the battery, works well, phenomenoly in fact. my first 1150 worked flawlessly, but this newer one seems tempermental, it will mysteriously drain over the course of four hours sometimes, then recharge in 20 minutes, but no matter how long i charge the unit it never fully charges. this annoys me. especially when i unplug it for work, then half way through the day get the "battery exhausted" message. not sure what the issue is here. but the ability to easily swap it out, with easily obtainable AA's would be nice.

really these, and the limited availability of IMP format sellers are my only issues..

all that said, i LOVE the ergonomics, it just feels comfortable in my hand, the 'handle' gives it a sturdy, secure feeling, its not easily dropped, though its robust enough to take some abuse. its just the right size for casual reading. not too big, but not small either. the touch screen with only three buttons to push are fully adequete for my needs, its simple, uncomplicated, and easy to learn/operate. IMO, THIS is what an ebook should be..

so WHY oh WHY is there NO modern equivalent? everything on the market today has all kinds of bells and whistles, is fragile, ergonomically uncomfortable, and usually VERY expensive..

why cant i have a unit built like the 1150 (ergonomically, ease of use), with an e-ink (or paper backed color LCD) touchscreen, WITH front-light (prismic plastic and LEDs?) that takes modern affordable, readily available memory, and has a decent capacity, in color (for those book covers, and MAYBE to act as a photo album as well), able to take multiple formats, preferably handling DRM on multiple formats as well, all in a package that costs less than $150?

none of this is new tech, none of its really expensive, what gives?

heak, if i had money, id develop it myself..
Lago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
You can. It's called a used, large screen PDA. If you're adamant about daylight readability, it's called a jetBook.

WRT the battery, you may need to replace it. That sounds like a cell going bad.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Lago
Connoisseur
Lago doesn't litterLago doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, REB1200, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
You can. It's called a used, large screen PDA. If you're adamant about daylight readability, it's called a jetBook.

WRT the battery, you may need to replace it. That sounds like a cell going bad.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
its a replacement unit (broke the screen on the first one) and its done it since day one, only sporadically, may go weeks between incidences, or only a day.

as for the PDA? i dont want a PDA, i want a dedicated Ebook reader. and ive never seen a PDA that had good ergonomics for reading for hours on end.
Lago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Good Design

The battery issue sounds like the battery is going bad, I have gotten a similar thing on cell phone batteries before.

I think its a shame that they have not just made an updated version of the EB1150, add in some of the newer larger (in storage size not physical size) memory cards etc. If they could get it approved for epub drm the little device would kick everyones butt IMO.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If there were an updated model that read ePub and had bigger fonts, I'd chunk my Sony out a window and go personally to the factory to get one! I loved my 1150 emotionally, like a pet or something.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert