Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Insomnic
Insomnic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Bad Image Refresh and Settings after 2.3 update

After updating my Kindle 2 to 2.3 I went to browse though some of my picture folders. The first thing I noticed was that my settings had reverted (and the menu options for pictures is now much shorter) to defaults. So, I turned of dithering and enabled full screen. I left that picture directory and went to another one and my full screen was off so I went to turn it back on and the menu option was already set for full screen. I had to turn it off and back on again to get full screen. Irritating.

Worse yet is that when going between pictures it isn't refreshing the entire screen. It's messing up in sections (not the same areas each time either) and leaving sections of previous pictures showing. I never had a problem previously. So now I have to pull up the menu to refresh the image (alt+g doesn't work). It will sometimes go a couple pictures before it does this where it leaves sections of previous pictures. I'm curious if anyone else is running into this problem.

Last edited by Insomnic; 11-27-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Insomnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
Insomnic

I've spoken to Amazon a couple times.
They have sent me a new device and the problem persists. They are filling a bug report and hopefully that will take care of the issue.

In the meantime I can still use the picture viewer, it just isn't as convenient - or I've converted to PDF but haven't found quite the exact right conversion settings to get the optimal resolution.
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
ziplizard
Enthusiast
ziplizard doesn't litterziplizard doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2.0
I looked and have a similar problem with my kindle 2.3. Opening a book automatically shows it in window view. Going forward in the pictures/pages seems okay but moving backwards or after closing the picture menu, the right 1/6 of the screen gets messed up and doesn't show the right image. Moving forward a page seems to fix it. I don't usually read comics/manga on my kindle so I didn't notice this right away. I don't know if Amazon would fix this since the picture viewer isn't exactly official, but I would love them if they do.
ziplizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Insomnic

Thanks for confirming for me. It's good to know it isn't just me. Hopefully they'll figure out the bug.

It's true it isn't an official function but the way customer service spoke they definitely felt like having it not work breaks expected functionality. Hopefully others will notice and will call it in. Amazon support doesn't provide true case numbers to it's harder to track exactly what's happening.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Insomnic

It looks like the recent 2.3.3 update has corrected some of the issues I was experiencing. Images all work correctly now it seems. It still doesn't remember settings between viewings (despite the menu saying full screen is enabled - it isn't and it needs to be turned "off" and then "on" again) but at least the viewer is working as expected. Hopefully with the introduction of apps soon maybe a dedicated image viewer or even better a dedicated comic book reader will be created.
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
I've had that set full screen mode every time even though the setting was saved bug on my DX since day one. Never had a problem with part of a previous image still being visible when viewing the next image though. For me the most annoying part of image viewing on the Kindle was the amount of time it would take for an image to load... some images would load very quickly, while others would take a few seconds.

I use my DX mainly for manga. I switched to using pdfs and it is a lot better than images. Load times are both fast and consistent, no annoying full screen bug (although you don't get true full screen like you do with image mode), and you can jump to a page.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Insomnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
I switched to using pdfs and it is a lot better than images. Load times are both fast and consistent, no annoying full screen bug (although you don't get true full screen like you do with image mode), and you can jump to a page.
I tried that on the K2 but the formatting is a bit off when it handles the resize no matter if I set the PDF resolution/size to the correct pixel width it still performs a resize compression on it and throws all the lines into "jaggies". Using PDF on the DX makes absolute sense and probably is the best way on the larger screen to view Manga.