Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
ChrisM12743
ChrisM
ChrisM12743 began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook gen3
books on board

Does anyoe know of, or have they had dealings with books on board? I want to buy a cybook gen 3 for my son, and they have the lowest price> I would appreciate any input you may have.
ChrisM12743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I bought my Cybook there. They were very professional. I bought it at a time when they were selling them in "lots", and they kept me up-to-date on the status of my purchase.

I had a number of questions before I made my decision, and they answered them promptly and professionally.

And they were even willing to ship to a Fed-Ex pick-up location, so I could pick it up in the evening when I got off work.

If you look around the site, you might notice I've made comments that I don't particularly like my Cybook and I regret the purchase. That's true. But according to Harry, the main thing I don't like about it was corrected (a month after I bought it) in the current model. (Naturally, right?)

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure you understand that my regret with the purchase had nothing to do with Books on Board. I thought their customer service was excellent!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Books on Board is one of the highest rated ebook stores in forum posts, see for example What are the top 5 ebook stores and why?. This is partly based on low prices, but their support is also good. They cater to format shifters more that other stores (e.g. recommend LIT for shifting, and provide OverDrive MOBI for Kindle owners).

FictionWise is another very highly rated store, but surprisingly they don't sell an EInk device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM12743 View Post
Does anyoe know of, or have they had dealings with books on board? I want to buy a cybook gen 3 for my son, and they have the lowest price> I would appreciate any input you may have.
I bought my Cybook through them, and would recommend them. Nice people to do business with.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:15 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by annajennifer View Post
despite the hype surrounding the launch of the Kindle, this is a technology which in my humble opinion is not quite ready for the prime time. It's expensive, very expensive, for what it does; and what it does, it doesn't do particularly well. I still believe there is a role there for dedicated e-book readers, but I'd like to see better quality, more responsive, and above all cheaper e-ink displays than exist at present.
I think that most people here would disagree with you. I've been reading eBooks for well over 20 years, and don't consider the current generation of readers to be "very expensive" at all. I spend far more time reading than watching TV, and an eBook reader is a heck of a lot cheaper than the typical TV set.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
ebookwise

I have purchased ebooks from BoB and it has worked fine for me. They even post on the message boards here sometimes.

I actually use the ebookwise 1150 for my reader, its cheaper than a cybook, but it doesn't have the eink screen. If you have not looked at it as an option I would suggest it. I love mine!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
newdayjob
newdayjob began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I have a kindle and can't compare it to other e-book readers but it seems to be that despite the initial high expense, if you read plenty of books, you are going to save quite a bit of money in the long run. Is this not the case?

Corina
newdayjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM12743 View Post
My only experience is as an ebook customer and I'm happy with the service. The support staff is responsive, the prices are cheaper and strightforward (no memberships, no other gimmicks, just good prices, as their slogan says).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
And you felt this applied to this particular thread why, exactly?

Quote:
despite the hype surrounding the launch of the Kindle, this is a technology which in my humble opinion is not quite ready for the prime time. It's expensive, very expensive, for what it does; and what it does, it doesn't do particularly well. I still believe there is a role there for dedicated e-book readers, but I'd like to see better quality, more responsive, and above all cheaper e-ink displays than exist at present.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
They are a reputable company I've bought from in the past and will buy from in the future.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Only bought books from them, but am happy with them
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
Joerg_Mosthaf
Connoisseur
Joerg_Mosthaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2i, iPhone
Let me add another voice to the choir - I bought some ebooks from them and I am very satisfied with the buying experience and especially with their customer service.
Joerg_Mosthaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:24 AM   #13
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i bought my cybook there and couldn't be happier. not only are they fast shippers but they also have great customer service. overall i like the way that books on board does business and recommend them enthusiastically
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I love them. They've been great about providing support for my Cybook... and my sister's Cybook... and the Cybook that I'm planning on getting my dad for Christmas They've been friendly and warm and haven't made me feel like an idiot, which is a rare change!

Oooh I just looked on their site and they're offering New York Times Bestsellers for $9.79. They're the best! http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?F=NY_Times_979
alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

------------------------------
anna jennifer
Promoter
Better quality? More responsive? Do you own a Kindle, or any book reader?
What exactly does it "not do particularly well"?

We would all like to see cheaper e-ink displays, and I"m sure they are on their way.

In the meantime, if you are a serious reader, there is nothing lacking in the current crop of readers. They are first and foremost book readers, and the Kindle is also a downloader.

Kindle and other book readers are indeed ready for prime time.

We can't help it if prime time isn't ready for them. Perhaps they are too busy watching TV, or playing video games.

humph!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote