Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #76
Crappycaliber
Crappycaliber began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Is there a way to adjust the brightness by sliding my finger up and down the screen?
Also when I highlight , it highlights initially in yellow, then let's say I change the color to something like blue, when I go to highlight something else, it changes back to yellow again instead of staying blue.
Crappycaliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #77
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: iPhone [Hyphen Reader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappycaliber View Post
Is there a way to adjust the brightness by sliding my finger up and down the screen?
Yes, that feature exists currently. Swiping up and down the screen while reading will lower/increase brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappycaliber View Post
Also when I highlight , it highlights initially in yellow, then let's say I change the color to something like blue, when I go to highlight something else, it changes back to yellow again instead of staying blue.
That's an interesting suggestion. You're proposing that the last selected highlight color is used as the color for the next highlight, right?

I've added it to the Issue Tracker: https://github.com/hyphen-reader/hyphen/issues/28 (If anyone else would like to see this feature implemented, don't hesitate to chime in )
hyphenreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #78
Crappycaliber
Crappycaliber began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Yes that's what I'm proposing, if I change to blue or green, I'd like it to stay blue or green
Crappycaliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:21 AM   #79
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphenreader View Post
Yes, that feature exists currently. Swiping up and down the screen while reading will lower/increase brightness.

That's an interesting suggestion. You're proposing that the last selected highlight color is used as the color for the next highlight, right?

I've added it to the Issue Tracker: https://github.com/hyphen-reader/hyphen/issues/28 (If anyone else would like to see this feature implemented, don't hesitate to chime in )
I think it makes sense to have it as the last selected. Not everyone would like Yellow as the option, this then can make the new selection as the default, and if there's a need to make a highlight in a different colour for some reason, one could switch to that temporarily and then back to the chosen one?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #80
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I think it makes sense to have it as the last selected. Not everyone would like Yellow as the option, this then can make the new selection as the default, and if there's a need to make a highlight in a different colour for some reason, one could switch to that temporarily and then back to the chosen one?
Great, thanks for expressing your support. I've already added this to the next version.
Advert
Old 01-11-2016, 03:43 AM   #81
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:

It doesn't work in my iPad Mini 4 nor in my iPhone 6S+.

Well, it works but is very difficult to achieve. I need to move my finger up and down at rightmost side of the screen, and works one of ten times or even less.

I think better way to do this is to have one vertical strip of 1/3 in center of screen as area to swipe one (or perhaps two) finger to change brightness.

And another good thing could be have an area to swap themes. Perhaps a tap with two fingers in same area.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #82
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works fine on my 5S no matter where I swipe. Love it. However, there's no response on my iPad Air 2 or my iPad mini (first version).

Last edited by kyteflyer; 01-11-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #83
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Works fine on my 5S no matter where I swipe. Love it. However, there's no response on my iPad Air 2 or my iPad mini (first version).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
It doesn't work in my iPad Mini 4 nor in my iPhone 6S+.
There's some difference in gesture handling between the devices that I pinning down. I'll have it resolved by next update, though. Also: What iOS versions are these devices on?
Old 01-12-2016, 03:19 AM   #84
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There's some difference in gesture handling between the devices that I pinning down. I'll have it resolved by next update, though. Also: What iOS versions are these devices on?
Mine is last iOS version, 9.2
Old 01-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #85
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Mine is last iOS version, 9.2
Mine too. (Wsh I had not, on the ipad mini. Its getting really sluggish and theres no way to downgrade)
Old 03-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #86
sglinert
Enthusiast
sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPod Touch 5, Illudium Q-42 Explosive Space Modulator
I bought this today and used it for a bit, then deleted it, I'm sorry to say. Three things sent me back to Marvin.

1. I want to be able to tap on either side of the screen to advance the page and swipe left to go backwards.

2. Gotta have OPDS support to talk to my Calibre server.

3. I need some way to integrate Wikipedia and Google Maps--I read a lot of travel books and Marvin lets me pull up inofrmation and maps right there in the book.

It looks very nice otherwise...I will keep an eye out for updates and try again later.
sglinert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #87
mcaron1234
mcaron1234 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sglinert View Post
I bought this today and used it for a bit, then deleted it, I'm sorry to say. Three things sent me back to Marvin.

1. I want to be able to tap on either side of the screen to advance the page and swipe left to go backwards.

I'm not switching back to Marvin, but I'd also like to voice my support for these improvements. You have mentioned already on twitter that OPDS support is in the pipeline so that's great. For now I can import directly from my COPS library's web page (this works quite well, but is limited to one book at a time). I have to use safari though as I can't get COPS to load in the in app browser. Perhaps due to my use of basic authentication in apache for access to the page?

I would very much like to page turn forward by taping on either side of the screen with a swipe for back, though. This is probably the single most missed feature from Marvin, for me.
mcaron1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #88
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglinert View Post

3. I need some way to integrate Wikipedia and Google Maps--I read a lot of travel books and Marvin lets me pull up inofrmation and maps right there in the book.

It looks very nice otherwise...I will keep an eye out for updates and try again later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaron1234 View Post
I'm not switching back to Marvin, but I'd also like to voice my support for these improvements. You have mentioned already on twitter that OPDS support is in the pipeline so that's great. For now I can import directly from my COPS library's web page (this works quite well, but is limited to one book at a time). I have to use safari though as I can't get COPS to load in the in app browser. Perhaps due to my use of basic authentication in apache for access to the page?

I would very much like to page turn forward by taping on either side of the screen with a swipe for back, though. This is probably the single most missed feature from Marvin, for me.
Hello mcaron and sglinert,

mcaron, you're right - OPDS support is in the next version of Hyphen, and works similarly to how Dropbox and Google Drive work (Parallel background downloading).

Additionally, gesture customization will be available. You will be able to adjust what tapping on the left and right sides do (next, previous, or nothing), and more.

Lastly, 2.0 makes researching terms much easier than in the current version. Speaking of, you can still do this in the current version: Select a word > More > Lookup Online > Wikipedia. However in 2.0 you'll be able to access Wikipedia with a single tap. As for Google Maps, you can do that now: Select a word > Search Google > Maps.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:23 PM   #89
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Got the non free version today...tried the free version and liked it enough to give the paid version a try and to support the app.

I like it though I've only played around with it. Once I spent time reading it I'd like to add my two cents.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:21 AM   #90
rfog
Guru

My two cents are Hyphen dev needs to release faster. Less big updates and more little ones, to show customers Hyphen is alive.

Even a bug fix only version will be desirable.

Personally, I've stopped using it until at least will sync reading positions across devices because without that is completely unusable for me.

Tags
ebook, epub, hyphen, ibooks, ios