Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Weird 'Select All' bahaviour in Calibre

So I selected all my books with the standard CTRL+A shortcut today to copy them over to eReader, and noticed something weird.

Once they are all selected, clicking anywhere within the highlighted table does not 'deselect' the entire stack. I have to either make the window big enough so there is 'padding' to the right on the table, and click outside the blue highlight, or click on a row number on the left hand side. The latter being inconvenient because it happens to also open that ebook for viewing.

Is there something I'm missing? What is the intended way we're suppose to deselect the entire stack after a CTRL+A?

ALSO
I have a suggestion for future versions of Calibre:

While having all my books selected like I mentioned above, I accidentally pressed the O button....

So while I was waiting a couple minutes for the hundreds of windows explorer windows to open, and reminiscing to the days of distributing joke programs on the school network that did exactly what I was experiencing, I came up with the following suggestion.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to add a confirmation dialogue to future versions when calling the 'Open Containing Folder' function on multiple items.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Your system survived that? Mine would have thrown up its little silicon hands in despair and just blue-screened or something.

But yes, I agree on the confirmation. Something like the way Firefox asks if you want to close multiple tabs.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Once they are all selected, clicking anywhere within the highlighted table does not 'deselect' the entire stack.
I have read Kovid's reply to a similar comment, and he considers the behavior you describe to be correct.

Quote:
I have to either make the window big enough so there is 'padding' to the right on the table, and click outside the blue highlight, or click on a row number on the left hand side. The latter being inconvenient because it happens to also open that ebook for viewing.
Is there something I'm missing? What is the intended way we're suppose to deselect the entire stack after a CTRL+A?
I hold CTRL down and select any selected book. That actually deselects it. Then I select the same book normally and that deselects all the others. I vaguely recall Kovid describing another method, but not with sufficient clarity to recall what it was
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I've run into the same thing and have been closing and reopening to unselect select all. since I have only seven headings, I have a small gap between the last column and the scroll bar. I tested Stingers idea by selecting all, then clicking on the small gap. It worked like a charm! I'll keep his idea of clicking on a row number in mind for when I'm in a reduced screen.

Thank you, Stinger!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I love how my post, written mainly to ask for help with this, turned out to be helpful to someone else experiencing the problem! The best kind of irony

To add icing to the cake, your response (Lady Fitz) thanking me for my post actually helped me out in return! I was trying to remove a couple of the columns the other day, and after a right click on the labels didn't do anything I thought it wasn't implemented yet (since that's a staple feature of tabled output). I have now found the setting in the preferences and accomplished my small, but oh so satisfying, goal. So thank YOU, fair Lady Fitz
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I "unselect all" by clicking on the [X] button to the immediate right of the search/filter box.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Completely unintuitive but it works! Thanks!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote