Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Question Apparent bug in book search function

The latest firmware for the Touch is in many ways a huge improvement - the sluggishness and text formatting issues found in earlier versions appear to have largely disappeared. But I have noticed one curious issue with the book search function which I suspect is a bug - I always seem to have to press the 'search in book' button twice before anything happens and the results appear. Once only and the machine does nothing. Has anyone else notices this oddity?

Last edited by Cameronpaterson; 12-05-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I tested it with sideloaded epub and it did seem to work as it should - search was returning hits on first try. Are you trying with kepub or sideloaded book?
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
I tested it with sideloaded epub and it did seem to work as it should - search was returning hits on first try. Are you trying with kepub or sideloaded book?
Wow, that was quick! I've been trying with the kepub I'm currently reading ('A Feast for Crows' by George RR Martin). How strange but thanks for the info. I do have some side-loaded titles on my Touch too - I'll try with those
Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I tested more, and for me, it seems to work with my kepubs as well, in first try.

When you try to search, do you mean you need to press twice the menu entry "Search in book" or press twice the button GO after typing the word?
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Cameronpaterson
Addict

I mean I have to press the menu entry 'search in book' twice. I tested it on a sideloaded title and it worked first time, so perhaps this issue is unique to that specific title. How strange...something to do with indexing perhaps?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
Cameronpaterson
Addict

I have also done some more research and this curious little glitch seems to be a problem with all my kepubs The 'search in book' function never works unless I push the menu entry twice. If I do it just once, the Touch simply sits there doing nothing. I find myself getting quite irritated by this now. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
I have also done some more research and this curious little glitch seems to be a problem with all my kepubs The 'search in book' function never works unless I push the menu entry twice. If I do it just once, the Touch simply sits there doing nothing. I find myself getting quite irritated by this now. Anyone got any ideas?
This is not true for kepub books on my Touch. Are you having other double tap issues, or only this one?

Last edited by taming; 12-07-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: decided to be nice
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Unhappy

No, I'm not having any other double tap issues - not that I've noticed anyway. Just the 'search in book' function. I'm obviously not claiming this is an earth-shattering problem, just a bizarre irritant, and one, moreover that appears to unique to my own Touch since neither your nor the earlier responder are having this issue. I wonder if there is something wrong with the index file which the Kobo (presumably) uses to search books? Perhaps I should try a reset...
Old 12-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
Dave@Kobo
Dave@Kobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Hi Cameronpaterson,

This is a known issue and will be fixed in the next release.

--Dave
Dave@Kobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Oh really? I had the impression it was just mine Thank you for the response Dave
Old 12-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the things that drives me a bit batty is that things like this are not true across the board. I bet it drives the development team crazy as well. I seem to have been blessed with a well behaved Touch (and a well behaved Vox and a well behaved WiFi before either one).

Fortunately the Kobo developers take all of these oddities seriously.

Last edited by taming; 12-07-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: left out a word
Old 12-09-2011, 05:34 AM   #12
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Another apparent bug in the 'search in book' function: push the menu entry twice, bring a page of results, click through to one of these, then click the 'results' button in the bar across the bottom to go back to the list of search results. If you then close the results box, you will be taken back to the beginning of the chapter you're currently reading, not to the exact page. Odd.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Another more general one - connect your Kobo Touch to an electrical socket to recharge (using a USB-to-plug adaptor), and it will announce that it has detected a computer!
Old 12-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Another more general one - connect your Kobo Touch to an electrical socket to recharge (using a USB-to-plug adaptor), and it will announce that it has detected a computer!
I think it depends on the adapter. This does not happen with the ones I use.

v
Old 12-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Sheesh, you have an exceptionally well-behaved Touch Mr Taming!

Tags
kobo touch, searching