Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #46
theenframed
Enthusiast
theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.

Device: none
I have always found that virus outbreak fiction or non-fiction has given me the chills.
theenframed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #47
silky0439
silky0439 began at the beginning.

Device: android
Post Scariest book

One of my very favorite books by Stephen King is Night Shift, which is a collection of stories. The last one is one you don't want to read while you are alone at night in the dark. Of course that is exactly what I was when I read it. LOL! No one knows how to set up a scene and get your heart pounding like King. It is a page turner, one best left for when you are traveling because you go from story to story so quickly it will make the time pass quickly when traveling. His other books like the Bachman Books are nice for curling up in an easy chair next to the fire or stereo.
silky0439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #48
borg man
borg man began at the beginning.

Device: borg man
Thumbs up fav haunted house book

The House Next Door by Anne River Siddons.
borg man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #49
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have just finished reading "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters and was glad I did it in daylight rather than late at night! Brilliant at many levels - it was on the short list for the Man Booker in 2009.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #50
emmameade83
emmameade83 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.emmameade83 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.emmameade83 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.emmameade83 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.emmameade83 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.emmameade83 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.emmameade83 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.emmameade83 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.emmameade83 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.emmameade83 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.emmameade83 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Stephen King's The Stand
emmameade83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:52 AM   #51
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I have just finished reading "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters and was glad I did it in daylight rather than late at night! Brilliant at many levels - it was on the short list for the Man Booker in 2009.
Ooo thanks. TBR ever growing.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #52
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
Ooo thanks. TBR ever growing.
Ditto!
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #53
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
If I can make a distinction, I think suspense is far greater to read than pure horror.

I feel The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym is a good example of suspense writing. The combination of the pirates hijacking a vessel, almost dying in the hold as a stowaway, stuck starving on a boat that is half sinking in the ocean, and cannibalism really kept me interested in reading to see what Poe could come up with next. It was just so good. I just wish Poe would have written more novels but he died young.

The sequel by Verne was not in the same league and I would not recommend it.

Last edited by Billsuits1; 11-24-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #54
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsuits1 View Post
If I can make a distinction, I think suspense is far greater to read than pure horror.
Yes I agree, and "The Little Stranger" is a story of mounting and disquieting suspense rather than horror.

Now I have just finished reading "We Must Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver, and can't stop thinking about it. Brilliantly done, with the feeling of dread mounting ever higher.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #55
crash1211
crash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600, Entourage Edge, Nook Simple Touch, iPad2, Kindle 4
Speaking of the The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym. I read of a strange coincidence between that book, and the real life shipwreck of the Mignonette that happened some 50 years after the novel was written. The name of the person eaten after the Mignonoette shipwreck was a cabin boy named Richard Parker. I believe that that was the same name of the character eaten in the book. I wonder what the odds are on that happening.
crash1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #56
pstjmack
Connoisseur
pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Android tablet
You all might want to take a look at this thread, which focuses Hubble-sharp on fear, rather than disgust, as the core principle of great horror. Some fabulous recommendations too:

http://www.teemingbrain.com/2013/01/...hat-horrifies/

For my money, Charlie Stross's "A Colder War" is the most chilling modern horror story I've read - widely available free on the Web at that. T.E.D. Klein's "The Events at Poroth Farm" runs it a close second.
pstjmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #57
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Nightstone by Rick Hautala. When I was done with it I let my cousin borrow it and she read it late at night alone in the house. I don't think she's forgotten it yet or forgiven me for it, she was that freaked out.

Unfortunately it's not yet in ebook format, but he has a new publisher and it could be finished in around 6 months or so. I've re-read it at least 3x, I'm waiting for the 4th time to be on my ereader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #58
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Hmmm.... could I copy/paste this entire thread into a post in the "books you couldn't pay me to read" thread? I hate to be scared!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #59
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I read Thomas Tryon's The Other which is high on the creepy factor - although it's a slow build.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote