Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #61
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by robslp View Post
I also love my Sansa Zip Clip. I use it to download audiobooks from my online library. I use it so much I rarely watch TV. It improves your auditory processing skills to listen to books and it is great for kids. I would not get an iPod if they were the same price as I can load both WMA and MP3 on the Sansa Clip Zip.
Just a note, but many WMA audiobooks from OverDrive public libraries can be played on iPods. It's up to the publisher whether or not they'll allow it. If allowed, it requires an extra step as the files are converted by the OverDrive software for playback on iPods.

While my Clip Zip is my primary audiobook device, I do load WMA audiobooks from the library onto my iPod touch 4.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #62
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I don't yet have a vast collection, but I have been planning for the future...

I label with a fine point silver paint marker. I can't do any more than a code, like R-1, J-3, ect. That means I have to keep the detail list in my e-book reader... So for my music, I currently have R-1, R-2, R-3, R-4, and J-1 for Rock 1 thru 4 and Jazz 1. Each 32 GBs. I ahve older, smaller ones that I currently don't use (I don't pitch anything that's working) Mostly 2 GBs and some 16 Gbs.

Gold color would work better but I couldn't find one at the time.
Thanks, I may try this.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #63
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Did you try filling the empty space with your business cards? Since I have to carry one, any way....

BTW, how was shipping from the supplier (since it seems Amazon doesn't carry those)? I noticed that each holds 10 microSD cards and they are currently buy 3, get one free, but you do have to factor in shipping (another card holds 8, no adapter, but has no shipping)
I haven't ordered in bulk from them. My order was about $3 for shipping and it was mailed out very quickly.

Unlike the other poster, I never put these in a case. I carry them either in my pocket or a bag pocket. I'd only use a case if I were worried about them getting wet.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #64
paulroberthill
paulroberthill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi + 3G
+1 for the Sansa Clip. Awesome little player, great sound. I listen to mine on the way to work (when I'm not readin my Kindle) and I also use it while running. My original Clip (not +) is starting to get a bit dodgy and I'm going to replace it with another Clip.

A tip: If you're in the EU set it to US otherwise you will get the stupid volume lever limit.

I used RockBox for a while (pretty cool running Doom!) but I went back to the original firmware as I found the controls non-intuative. I use it while running so I need to change tracks etc without stopping to look at the screen.
paulroberthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #65
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
One question for those using the Zip with Overdrive: Does it have an internal calendar that expires library books? I've been using an old Muvo (on its last legs, unfortunately) and it's nice because it won't delete my expired audiobooks until I plug it into my computer. If I'm a few days late finishing an audiobook, I can keep listening as long as I don't hook it to the Overdrive software. Does anyone know if the Zip functions the same way?
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #66
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
One question for those using the Zip with Overdrive: Does it have an internal calendar that expires library books? I've been using an old Muvo (on its last legs, unfortunately) and it's nice because it won't delete my expired audiobooks until I plug it into my computer. If I'm a few days late finishing an audiobook, I can keep listening as long as I don't hook it to the Overdrive software. Does anyone know if the Zip functions the same way?
The Overdrive audiobooks don't expire on the Clips. Even if you hooked it up to add more audiobooks after the book checkout time expires it will remain on the player and still play. You have to delete the book yourself when finished. This is a perk for me.

Last edited by Blossom; 07-01-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #67
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The Overdrive audiobooks don't expire on the Clips. Even if you hooked it up to add more audiobooks after the book checkout time expires it will remain on the player and still play. You have to delete the book yourself when finished. This is a perk for me.
Oh, good to know. I have an audio book on my Clip Zip that I'm still "reading" after the library expiration date, but I thought adding another audio book from Overdrive would render it unplayable.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #68
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Oh, good to know. I have an audio book on my Clip Zip that I'm still "reading" after the library expiration date, but I thought adding another audio book from Overdrive would render it unplayable.
You will be able to still listen to it. You can say the Clips use the honor system. The book will play till you delete it.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #69
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Picked up the Zip at Costco over the weekend. That is one slick little device! (And I do mean little -- the online pics I found didn't do its small size justice.) Now to load it up with library and Audible books...
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #70
mapabl
Enthusiast
mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: iPad Air, iPad Mini. Nook Glo, Kindle Paperwhite,
Books added to Music thru Overdrive

When I add library books through Overdrive to my little ipod, the books show up under Audiobooks. When adding library books through Overdrive to the Clip Zip, the books show up under "Music" rather than "Audiobooks". Any idea if there is a setting to correct this? It's hard to have both music and books under music if you use the shuffle feature. I don't like this feature of the Clip.
I don't think it's as easy to find where you were in a book after changing books. I don't think there is a bookmark feature. Do others find this an issue?
Thanks. Mary
mapabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #71
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapabl View Post
When I add library books through Overdrive to my little ipod, the books show up under Audiobooks. When adding library books through Overdrive to the Clip Zip, the books show up under "Music" rather than "Audiobooks". Any idea if there is a setting to correct this? It's hard to have both music and books under music if you use the shuffle feature. I don't like this feature of the Clip.
I don't think it's as easy to find where you were in a book after changing books. I don't think there is a bookmark feature. Do others find this an issue?
Thanks. Mary
When you go transfer the books ODMC You can change the path to audiobooks. By Default it puts it in Music but if you click the button next to the path you can change it to the correct folder. You have to do this each time you use the transfer wizard the settings don't stick.

The clip remembers the last place played on each Audiobook but there isn't a bookmark feature. If you remove your SD Card or upgrade firmware you will lose all your places in your books.

If you put audiobooks in the Music folder the genre must read audiobook on the tag or it wont work as an audiobook. Audiobooks in the audiobooks folder do not need the genre field changed.

Last edited by Blossom; 07-02-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:31 AM   #72
MuseRising
MuseRising began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (3G)
I'm another one to give the Sansa Clip Zip some free advertising. I keep audiobooks on the device's internal storage (I don't have many of them) and music on a microSD card. There's no delay at all when accessing files in the microSD card. Everything flows beautifully, it's so small and light, extremely intuitive controls, the clip is firm and secure, and it's a genuinely cute little device. It's definitely the best portable audio device currently around in terms of value-for-money. I love the ease of the drag-and-drop, and I love that when I took it out of the box, I plugged it into the computer and was ready to go immediately.
MuseRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #73
mapabl
Enthusiast
mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: iPad Air, iPad Mini. Nook Glo, Kindle Paperwhite,
Thanks Blossom....learned something new today. Mary from WI
mapabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #74
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Is that for Windows only? Or is there a way to play OverDrive WMA audiobooks on a Mac iPod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Just a note, but many WMA audiobooks from OverDrive public libraries can be played on iPods. It's up to the publisher whether or not they'll allow it. If allowed, it requires an extra step as the files are converted by the OverDrive software for playback on iPods.

While my Clip Zip is my primary audiobook device, I do load WMA audiobooks from the library onto my iPod touch 4.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #75
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Is that for Windows only? Or is there a way to play OverDrive WMA audiobooks on a Mac iPod?
No MACs; just Windows.

Quote:
Questions about audiobooks? You are in the right place! With the articles below, explore all things audiobook, including how to get started, device use, and troubleshooting.

You can enjoy our audiobooks in two formats: WMA and MP3.

OverDrive WMA audiobooks are Windows formatted and can be downloaded to a Windows computer, as well as transferred to Windows formatted devices including the Apple iPod, and in some cases can be burned to CDs.

OverDrive MP3 audiobooks offer a wide range of compatibility, including download to Windows and Mac computers, transfer to most devices, and permission to burn to CD.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote