Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
daroga
Enthusiast
daroga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Best value for a Kindle sleeve

Hi everyone!

I've got a K3 WiFi on order, and I'm super excited to get it. The near-month wait is killer, but it's part of my plan to read more and waste less time watching TV / mindlessly surfing the internet, so I'm excited. For the time being, I have some real paper (!) books to read.

Anyway, I'm going to want a case for it, but I don't want something where the Kindle will be attached or held in. I'm pretty sure that I'll want to take the Kindle out by itself to read it, and have it in the case for storage/transport.

Obviously, cases for K3 are going to be slim for a while yet, but I wondered based on experience on accessories for other Kindle devices, what would someone recommend as far as a nice price for a sleeve that would have some protection for the device when its inside (and maybe carry the charger, etc), but also is very easy to get the reader out to use it "naked."

Just looking for older models to look at, or at least companies to keep an eye on as they develop their K3 accessories.

Thanks!
daroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Cases come in several "flavours ... " -

-Thin material - sleeve-like - just for the barest of scratch protection
-Neoprene sleeves. Same "envelope" nature of the above, but with a little "impact" protection

Many use the above to - and THEN plop the unit into a purse or briefcase. Or glove compartment.

Then there's "book-like" covers - where the eReader fits inbetween two "pages" of a leather or authentic-imitation-leather cover. Some have slots on the inside-left for business cards.

Problems with ALL of these is that when production costs are cut and they are offered for half of what we see on retails bookstore shelves, some use poor dyes. Some dye the interior portions where the eReader slides against, possibly transferring that dye color to your eReader's case/frame.

You indicate that you might want to also carry the charger in the same case. I would tend not to do that. Imagine your flat eReader in a briefcase or elsewhere, and the charger is in the same bag (in front of or in back of the eReader). Then s-q-u-e-e-z-e the bag - like the force it would receive during a little drop or accidental abuse. The force hitting the charger has the potential to breaking your screen: The eReader might get "bent" around it. Sounds outlandish - but it has happened. I'd rather protect my eReader with two "solid" pieces on either side of it, and have nothing else to potentially "press" against it.

What you USE regularly depends upon what (a) you like and (b) how you are transporting your eReader.

I fitted a DVD case that accommodates my eReader darned near perfectly. The resulting package is slim, sleek, smooth - I can easily carry it around anywhere. I also have a "leatherette book case" for it purchased off eBay. But it has those poor dyes, and actually adds enough weight/mass to the eReader to make it not as "attractive" to carry around.

So - for ME - a case that cost me nothing was the best case for how I travel around town. Second in line for ME would be my neoprene case.

Do you have a BestBuy or large bookstore nearby where you can actually "look and feel" some of the case options?

And please shy away from the "leather/leatherette" "bargains" on eBay and elsewhere. You can transfer dyes to your eReader with just normal, non-abusive everyday use.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have a Belkin sleeve, with a zipper 1/2 the way around. I really, really like it, but I throw my K2 in my purse or briefcase. I plan to wait until Belkin comes our with a K3 sleeve, and then I will get one for my K3.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I couldn't find a sleeve I liked so I just decided to crochet one, leaving enough room to allow for a case to be used. It was more of a scrap project while I wait for my kindle to come tomorrow. I made the sleeve leaving both front and back pockets on the inside open so that I can insert a hard plastic strip into when I get a chance and then pad it with whatever I happen to have laying around. I also made two pocket on the inside flap to put my ID cards, and debit cards into, as well as a large pocket in the back to store whatever else happens to come up. for the clasp I used an old necklace flower that was no longer of use to me. Not the prettiest thing but it gets the job done. My son has autism and if the kindle is not in a bag of some kind it will be take apart to build something else very quickly (yes we have to hide all of our appliances and lock up the computers in my house ). As far as dyes go, I always buy the clear matte plastic at JoAnn's and sew a quick cover to go the actual ereader. It also offer a little protection again accidental water spills, rain, etc. The whole project runs around 7.00. At takes around an hour or so to complete. I can send ya the pattern if you would like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030391.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	56428   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030392.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	56429  

Last edited by nimblem; 08-09-2010 at 08:16 PM.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
I've been using the Octovo Sleeves for my Kindle2, DX, and now DXG. They're very slim, light and protect the device with a nice padded interior. The minute the K3 version is ready for my K3, I'll be buying that one.

I should also note that no animals have to give their lives for the production of the Octovo Sleeves, which makes them even better.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
daroga
Enthusiast

The Octovo Sleeves look like something I'd be looking for! Thanks for the suggestion!

I'd love to hear more if anyone's got them. Any use a sleeve out there that has a zipper opposed to the open-end of the Octovo?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I second the suggestion for the Octovo Sleeves. I purchased one a ways back and have found it to be the best of the lot, and I tried quite a few.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I like the MCover polycarbonate sleeve, with hard screen protector. I have one for my K2i and they will be making one for the K3 apparently, they just need to get their hands on one first, so there will be a slight delay.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I purchased an M-Edge sleeve for my DXG and it provides a lot of protection. It's leather and heavily padded.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
exposition
exposition began at the beginning.

Device: none
I do not have a Kindle case from them, but WaterField Designs - http://www.sfbags.com - makes excellent stuff and they look like they'll have a number of sleeves and slips available for Kindle 3 soon.
exposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, having a sleeve and no case is a seriously bad idea. Without a case, the screen is less protected when it's out of the sleeve and the risk of damage is higher if it's ever dropped. And a case can make your reader even easier to hold. But if you want to risk your K3, go ahead and get a sleeve. If you want more protection for your K3, get a case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I purchased an M-Edge sleeve for my DXG and it provides a lot of protection. It's leather and heavily padded.
Is your DXG in a case when it's not in the sleeve or is it more at risk being naked?

Everyone please read the first post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...25#post1046425 of that thread to see that yes you need a case and not just a sleeve.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-10-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
daroga
Enthusiast

I appreciate the thoughts on case vs. sleeve. Perhaps sleeve isn't exactly communicating what I want to do. I want something that will, in fact, protect the device, but on which the device is easily removed to actually do reading from. A thin piece of fabric wrapped around the Kindle obviously isn't going to do much, but I'm not sure a case where the Kindle is attached inside is necessarily the be-all, end-all solution.

A nicely padded, zippered pouch (to ensure pressure protection as well as not flying out of the sleeve if moved suddenly) seems to be the best of both worlds for what I'm looking for.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daroga View Post
I appreciate the thoughts on case vs. sleeve. Perhaps sleeve isn't exactly communicating what I want to do. I want something that will, in fact, protect the device, but on which the device is easily removed to actually do reading from. A thin piece of fabric wrapped around the Kindle obviously isn't going to do much, but I'm not sure a case where the Kindle is attached inside is necessarily the be-all, end-all solution.

A nicely padded, zippered pouch (to ensure pressure protection as well as not flying out of the sleeve if moved suddenly) seems to be the best of both worlds for what I'm looking for.
Seriously, what good is a case if you are only going to remove the case when reading? You don't ever want to drop a naked eink device as you have a greater risk of screen damage. So really, get a case and get used to it. It's the best protection you will have. Yes, a sleeve that fits the device (with a case) is a good thing for greater protection when traveling. But to just get a sleeve and not a case is bad and to remove the device from the case to read is just as bad. A case may not be prefect, but it's the least intrusive solution there is now. Also, I find a case can actually help make the device easier to hold.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
daroga
Enthusiast

It's good to protect it when not in use. I'm buying a thin and light device to be able to hold a thin and light device, not to gunk it up with a thick, heavy case all the time.

I'm of the mindset that I'd rather enjoy what I have and accept that will take a little wear-and-tear rather than being hyper-protective about things. I don't use screen protectors on touch screens and let the unnoticeable scratches and scuffs happen; I don't put covers on our furniture or car seats and let the wear-and-tear happen, but enjoy them.

You make it sound like these ereaders are going to disintegrate in your hand if you touch them. If they're actually that fragile, I guess I have no real interest in using one. But, I daresay, that things will be just fine. Just please don't insinuate that I'm doing something bad because I don't want to use a device the exact way that you do. I appreciate the thoughts, but the phrasing of your posts is kind of rude.