Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
CyberSmoke53
Enthusiast
CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Question Help deDrm Old Mobi Format

I have an eBook I purchased from the publisher circa 2006 in .prc format.. 1st record line is encoded as TEXtREAd not BOOKMOBI..

The book is Content encrypted not PID encrypted. I would like to deDrm it so I can read it on my new JetBook Lite reader. The book decrypts perfectly on the old Ipaq and PC using the standard MobiPocket reader, but the Jetbook can only handle nonDrm'd Mobi.

I have tried all flavors of Modidedrm V005 thru V009 and I get unrecognized file type errors. I tried manually changing the TEXtREAd to BOOKMOBI but this change caused more errors. Anyone know of a way to deCode the OLD Mobipocket format.

I attached the file so folks can see the headers and such. It looks like garbage to me. LOL

[Attachment deleted by moderator]

Thanks for any help folks can offer!

Last edited by HarryT; 02-06-2010 at 09:12 AM.
CyberSmoke53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Mobipocket Decoder Tool #176.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
CyberSmoke53
Enthusiast
CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried all of the mobidedrm's from 5 - 9 using the modification discussed in the thread. The problem is that the python script exits upon seeing the TEXtREAd instead of BOOKMOBI. If I manually edit the TEXtREAd to BOOKMOBI the script still fails because the format's record lengths are different than the current mobi formats.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I was able to open it with K4PC and MobiPocket Reader. Are you sure it's encrypted?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep, all 757 pages are there. Non-DRM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
CyberSmoke53
Enthusiast

Calibre says it has DRM and won't convert it. I sideloaded it to my Jetbook lite and it comes up gibberish...

My old Ipaq running Mobipocket Reader reads it fine, so Mobipocket software somehow knows how to decrypt the format.

Also the Desktop Mobipocket shows in properties that the eBook is content encrypted.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What format are you trying to convert it to?

Edit: I had no luck with Calibre either but after some Googling there does seem to be a solution. This post here on MR, states that someone helped the member remove the DRM. This member hasn't been on the site since November but maybe an email via their profile might get you the information you need.

Last edited by daffy4u; 02-04-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSmoke53 View Post
Calibre says it has DRM and won't convert it. I sideloaded it to my Jetbook lite and it comes up gibberish...

My old Ipaq running Mobipocket Reader reads it fine, so Mobipocket software somehow knows how to decrypt the format.

Also the Desktop Mobipocket shows in properties that the eBook is content encrypted.
Well, you got something wrong there, because it came up fine for me in the mobi reader I did change the extension to .mobi btw when I tried it at work, but I just checked it again here at home and it comes up fine as is, no extension change or anything.

I get the "protected" error when I try to open it in Calibre.

Moved it to my kindle2 and it works fine.

Looks like it may be a problem with the Calibre viewer (or perhaps a corrupt file).

Last edited by kennyc; 02-04-2010 at 09:19 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A "content encrypted" MOBI can be read by any Reader from MobiPocket (no PID required) but can't be read by 3rd party MOBI readers or converters. The standard mobidedrm works on such files with a minor edit, but only if the are in the BOOKMOBI file format.

All such files (even in TEXtREAd format) are circumventable using the Java-based Secure MobiPocket Decoder, but I don't think this is available on the web any more.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please do not ask for assistance in circumventing DRM; it is against our site policy to do so.

And most definitely do not post copyrighted books to MR. That's the guaranteed route to a rapid ban .

Thank you.

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
A "content encrypted" MOBI can be read by any Reader from MobiPocket (no PID required) but can't be read by 3rd party MOBI readers or converters.
I don't understand this. Can you for example read a secured mobi file bought from Fictionwise on your Kindle without removing the DRM? Or is the Kindle operating with a 3rd party Mobi reader.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I don't understand this. Can you for example read a secured mobi file bought from Fictionwise on your Kindle without removing the DRM?
No, you can't. Although the Kindle does indeed use Mobipocket DRM, it uses its own private DRM server, and the "normal" Mobi DRM server, as used by Fictionwise, cannot encode a book for a Kindle.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

As harry said, Fictionwise "no" (at least without removing DRM) but places that use Overdrive for their mobi books will accept a Kindle PID (like BooksonBoard and the library) but you would still have to run a non-DRM stripping python script to make the book readable on the Kindle.

Last edited by daffy4u; 02-06-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: grammah
Old 02-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
As harry said, Fictionwise "no" (at least without removing DRM) but places that use Overdrive for their mobi books will except a Kindle PID (like BooksonBoard and the library) but you would still have to run a non-DRM stripping python script to make the book readable on the Kindle.
Just to clarify your post, I think you mean that the Overdrive server will "accept" a Kindle PID, not "except" it (which means exactly the opposite ).
Old 02-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just to clarify your post, I think you mean that the Overdrive server will "accept" a Kindle PID, not "except" it (which means exactly the opposite ).
Yes, you're correct. I'll make the change. Thanks for catching that!