Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Thorkin
Thorkin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Full-Screen images on the K2?

I'm converting some illustrated word .doc files and they have full-page illustrations that I'd like to see full-screen on my kindle 2 -- i.e., without margins of any kind, just like the "Screensaver" images. But when I convert using mobipocket creator or calibre, the images get reduced significantly, with fairly significant whitespace borders imposed.

How can I get images as impressively large as the screensaver images, in my actual books? Thanks!
Thorkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The maximum displayed size of an image in a MOBI ebook on the Kindle 1 is 525x640 (the K2 is the same or similar), see Kindle Automatically Doubles Image Sizes. However, you can zoom to full size (K1 or K2), see Kindle now Zooms AZW Images. Another informative thread is Image optimization for Kindle 2.

One difference between the K1 and the K2 is that the MOBI/AZW cover image on the K2 is 600x800, vs 525x640 (like interior images) on the K1.

Note that these are all about the displayed size. If your original images are GIF then they might get reduced in size to fit in about 62KB per image, although I think it is now more usual for them to be converted to JPEG (possibly loosing quality but maintaining the image dimensions).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert