Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
amb123
amb123 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung galaxy s2 i9100
Adding font page and pictures to Epub. Rookie version.

I was converting a book from fb2 to epub via caliber. It works great the only problem was that caliber does not integrate front page in the converted file. It saves it in the folder that contains: metadata, Jpg image of the front page and the formatted book itself. It is okay if you use your computer to read the book.
I on the other had wanted to transfer the book to my android phone and read it using Moon+ reader. The reader recognizes only the book (not metadata and/or picture file). It does not recognize the picture unless it is within the file itself. So what I did was pretty simple.
1. I opened my fb2 book using caliber
2. Highlighted the entire text copied it and pasted to the Libre office writer as a new doc.
3. Inserted the front page picture in the text.
4. Exported edited doc as PDF.
5. Converted the PDF file to Epub via caliber.
6. The End

I transferred the file to my phone and now I have a book with the front page.
It is an easy method. It has it disadvantage (you have to highlight the entire book) but it does not disfigure formatting and does not require any advanced knowledge.
amb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That sounds much more complicated than it should be to achieve what you want!

You should be able to simply
  • add the fb2 book to Calibre
  • set the cover in the Calibre metadata
  • convert the book to epub
It is important you set up the cover and metadata before doing the conversion if you want them to be embedded in the epub.

There will also be a cover.jpg file in the ebook folder, but this will be in addition to one embedded in the ebook. Calibre always keeps an external copy of any cover image as not all formats support embedding the image.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post

There will also be a cover.jpg file in the ebook folder, but this will be in addition to one embedded in the ebook. Calibre always keeps an external copy of any cover image as not all formats support embedding the image.
... and it is vastly faster for calibre to access an separate cover image when needing to display one than it is for it to access any internal cover image a book may have. Thirdly, it is quite possible to have more than one copy of an ebook, in differing formats, in a single record and each can have different internal covers. Calibre needs a way of deciding which to use and having one external image solves that issue.

BTW, while it is preferable to add the cover before converting to ePub, you can add the cover to calibre after the conversion and then do an ePub>ePub conversion to rebuild the ePub integrating that cover. If you still have the FB2 then add the cover calibre and do a new FB2>ePub conversion. If you've lost/deleted the FB2 then add the cover and do an ePub>ePub conversion.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
amb123
amb123 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung galaxy s2 i9100
Quote:
BTW, while it is preferable to add the cover before converting to ePub, you can add the cover to calibre after the conversion and then do an ePub>ePub conversion to rebuild the ePub integrating that cover. If you still have the FB2 then add the cover calibre and do a new FB2>ePub conversion. If you've lost/deleted the FB2 then add the cover and do an ePub>ePub conversion.
I have done it... Several times... My original FB2 did not have the cover page. So while editing metadata I added the image to the fb2 file then I converted it to epub.
I can see the image if I read it using Caliber reader; however, when I transferred the file to my phone and tried to read it using Moon+ reader that is when I realized that image was not there. Instead of having a front page listed on my shelf I saw a generic image that caliber assigns to a book without title page after conversion.
Also there is a huge problem with formatting epub properly. After the conversion my book looked fine while using caliber as a reader; moon+ on the other hand, had issues. The text was split in the unexpected places with huge blank spaces in between.
I admit that as a newbie I most likely missing something and that is why my result is different from others but as I mentioned using my method I got a book with no formatting issues and the front page.

Last edited by amb123; 04-19-2012 at 03:36 AM.
amb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You might try using Sigil to look at the ePub in the different cases as that might help you spot what is wrong.. Also, being an ePub editor, it should provide a good way of fixing any issues.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
I use Moon+ (full version) and have problems with covers, quite often they get duplicated (for no reason) on first section after the cover. I've looked at internal html code and can't see why, especially as it shows properly (only once) on other reader apps (aldiko, mantano (full), bluefire, and on other readers (two sony models) and pc readers (Sigil, calibre-viewer, Firefox plugin).

So it could just be Moon+
If you can, try a different reader.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote