Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
trinsic
Edge User

Smile Initial thoughts on the Edge

I just got my device today. Excided, I couldnt wait for the 8 hr charge to complete and turned it on for a brief moment to try it out. I like the size of the device so far and reading on the eink side is great since I have never used an ebook reader. I tried out the e-ink pad taking notes, one thing I notice is that I can write faster than the e-ink drawing cant keep up with.. As a screen writer, I really depend on taking fast notes. I hope there is away to speed up the reaction time of the drawing with a software update at some point

Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
walt526
Edge User

It's always possible that the Journal might be sped up a little in a future software update (although I wouldn't expect much), but the slow refresh is mostly the fault of the eInk technology. I think that you'll find that the performance on the eDGe is similar on other devices that can accept RF stylus input on eInk screens (e.g., Wacom tablets).

Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
trinsic
Edge User

I see, I was just reading about that on the front page of the forums, thanks for the response. I think I might be able to get used to it. Another thing I was wondering about is it not possible to download and install apps from the android market? The tablet screen being similar in dimensions of a screen on a andriod device but bigger?

Last edited by trinsic; 07-15-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
walt526
Edge User

At the present time, Google is limiting access to Android Market to smartphones and only smartphones. So any device that runs Android that isn't a phone (e.g., Archos tablet) cannot access the market. That likely will change later this year, as more non-phone devices are released. There are alternatives (e.g., slideme.org) that you can install apps that are available from sources outside the Android Market. Also, if you have an Android phone with a microSD slot, then you can save the APKs for many free programs (but not all of them and usually not non-free programs).

FYI: where to find--and how to install--various APKs has been discussed extensively in both "General Discussion" and "Android App" subforums, so you may find it helpful to review past threads and/or utilize the forums search function.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
trinsic
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt526 View Post
At the present time, Google is limiting access to Android Market to smartphones and only smartphones. So any device that runs Android that isn't a phone (e.g., Archos tablet) cannot access the market. That likely will change later this year, as more non-phone devices are released. There are alternatives (e.g., slideme.org) that you can install apps that are available from sources outside the Android Market. Also, if you have an Android phone with a microSD slot, then you can save the APKs for many free programs (but not all of them and usually not non-free programs).

FYI: where to find--and how to install--various APKs has been discussed extensively in both "General Discussion" and "Android App" subforums, so you may find it helpful to review past threads and/or utilize the forums search function.
Sounds good, thanks.

Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Kelso
Edge User

Hi trinsic,

Quote:
As a screen writer, I really depend on taking fast notes.
Being a fast writer myself I find recalibrating the reader/ e-ink screen helps.
Just go into the device settings/ sound & display and select the e-paper calibrator at the bottom of the screen. When you calibrate be sure to hold the stylus as if you are writing rather than just tapping the boxes.

enjoy your edge

Last edited by Kelso; 07-27-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
aline7
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt526 View Post

This is exactly why I am waiting. Any rumors about a time frame?