Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Thinking of getting a Nook today....

Like so many, I have been sitting on the fence for some time considering which eReader to buy. Since I can get a Nook at a brick and mortar, and the feature set looks good, I'm probably gonna go for it.

I have two hesitations. One is the strange two window interface: some love it, some hate it. It seems that I will just have to live with it for a few days to see how I feel.

The other hesitation is that the library separates "personal content" from BN content - as if we would organize our physical bookshelves according to where we bought the book. For this, I can only hope that future firmware upgrades will integrate formats and also allow for some sort of tagging/cataloging.

Are there any Nook owners out there with particularly large book collections who would like to share their navigation experience? How much of a pain is it really to find a non-BN book on your device among hundreds of titles?

Thanks.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Lets say you have a library of 700 "personal content" books. Lets also say you have a book named "Zombies of the Gene Pool." To get to this book you would probably have to hit the next page button on the nook 70 times (10 books per screen) to get to it (assuming your in title mode). Finding the book by author sort may be faster depending on the authors name. There is no way to search for a sideloaded book. But the good news is that you can softroot your nook. I have over 700 books on my nook now and with trook I can organize my books into folders in which it makes things much easier to get to.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Lets say you have a library of 700 "personal content" books. Lets also say you have a book named "Zombies of the Gene Pool." To get to this book you would probably have to hit the next page button on the nook 70 times (10 books per screen) to get to it (assuming your in title mode). Finding the book by author sort may be faster depending on the authors name. There is no way to search for a sideloaded book. But the good news is that you can softroot your nook. I have over 700 books on my nook now and with trook I can organize my books into folders in which it makes things much easier to get to.
I second that. The current implementation is biased towards B&N books; large collections of side-loaded items are hard to manage due to the lack of folder support (the books are reported in a long flat list), and search facilities. Here's hoping B&N will add those in a future firmware update, but for the time being, you can use the trook or mylibrary to better organize your side-loaded books.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that means "no nook". I would HAVE to softroot the thing in order to have any sort of fluid functionality. And in doing THAT, I might break the warranty. It's looking like the PocketBook 360 has the greatest flexibility out of the box. I'll probably go in that direction. Thanks for the responses.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
That's up to you, but the softrooted nook shouldn't void the warranty. You haven't changed it physically, and it's not hard to restore the B&N released OS. You do have to install a microSD card in order to softroot the nook, though.

I hope that B&N will rework the nook interface, because it's not very good when you have hundreds of books, whether bought from B&N or sideloaded, and even though trook and mylibrary are better, none of them are adequate when you load your nook with the thousands of books it is capable of holding. I haven't played with a Kindle or any other e-Ink reader, but I suspect that's a weak point for them all.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
Desertway
Addict

The PocketBook 360 is eInk and has the capacity to create folders and subfolders by way of the PC or directly on the device. The trade-off is no wireless and so no on-device purchasing.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
arenner10
arenner10 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
DO NOT BUY THE NOOK. I used to be a big fan of B&N and waited until their nook release to buy an ereader. WORST DECISION EVER. Not only is it incredibly slow but I had to return my nook, TWICE!!! After waiting for my nook that was backordered for 6 weeks, I finally got my nook in mid-January. It was very slow and would often freeze which was remedied by plugging it in to fully charge. Well it finally froze for good after having it for a month and B&N replaced it. After 2 days of my brand new nook it also froze beyond repair. For the past month I have been on the phone more with B&N tech support than with my own parents, most of the time being on hold for up to half an hour sometimes. B&N refused to pay my shipping charges for my second nook and after a painfully long time they finally decided to give me my full refund....can't wait for the Kindle 3 to come out so that I never have to see the inside of a B&N store again
arenner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
And this is the second time arenner has posted the exact same message.

Desertway,

You may want to consider the Sony brand of readers, a lot cheaper and offers a similar set of features to what you are looking for.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
dcampbe
dcampbe began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
I love my Nook. I've had it since the third week in January. It shipped a week early. It works as advertised. No speed issues. Page turns (I swipe) are fast, and it only takes about two eye blinks time which gives my eyes a mini-break between pages.
dcampbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
A softrooted nook is a good thing. Much better than the silly e-slick I purchased. It seems to be a little more responsive than the Sony, but I only used the in-store demo.

The sony is MUCH BETTER at organizing content, however. Even with trook or nooklibrary, I am not thrilled with my options for the nook yet.

It is nice to be able to update wirelessly on the softrooted nook.

The best part about the nook is that it reads PDB, PDF, EPUB, Adobe Adept EPUB, and B&N EPUB. That's all the major ones but mobi (and the all-but-abandoned lrf and lit).

I wouldn't be too worried about warranty and softrooting. It is easy enough to undo, and it makes the nook an open platform. It's amazing what the nookdevs have done in 3 months. Can't wait to see all the apps available in the near future.

--Edward
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #11
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenner10 View Post
DO NOT BUY THE NOOK. I used to be a big fan of B&N and waited until their nook release to buy an ereader. WORST DECISION EVER. Not only is it incredibly slow but I had to return my nook, TWICE!!! After waiting for my nook that was backordered for 6 weeks, I finally got my nook in mid-January. It was very slow and would often freeze which was remedied by plugging it in to fully charge.
What it sounds like is nook running out of juice and the e-ink technology being what it is, nook's screen "freezing" to what's been last displayed.

You must be really lucky (or unlucky), what are the chances of defective devices sent to the same person TWICE, with huge majority of all the other owners not experiencing your problems.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
Purge
Enthusiast
Purge began at the beginning.

Device: None
Can anyone comment on the battery life of the Nook with the new update?

I hear it was pretty terrible before.
Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purge View Post

I've got it in permanent standby, when not reading.
I use it daily between 1 and 3 hours. I charge once per week tops. In direct comparison, even with less usage, my BeBook Neo (Onyx Boox) went dry yesterday.
I'd say it's about average concerning energy consumption. It probably even would be better, if I wouldn't experiment that much with 3G and WiFi (did exchange the AT&T SIM to a German SIM and played around).
I miss one feature though: iRex 800 and some others, after some time in standby, automatically go off. nook remains in standby. This has some advantages for automatic downloads or firmware updates. But I'd like to see the option "off after x hours in standby".
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #14
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purge View Post

I use my Nook about 2-3 hours a day and keep it on standby mode only. It's never turned off. I charge it about every five days. There are eReaders that last longer, to for me that's more than enough. I don't see why it would be problematic to charge your eReader once every few days.

Also, the Nook charges from 10% to 100% in less than 30 minutes
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote