Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
KDA1
KDA1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 wifi
ePub or mobi back to .txt?

I want to convert certain books or files I have on my Kindle back to a text file and still retain the original book in a epub/mobi format.

That is- I want my Kindle to retain the original book in epub format but make a back-up copy of it and store it on my computer.

How can that be done?
KDA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Whackatagin
Tweaker
Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle / KOBO / PC
You can use Calibre (free) library. If your books are not DRM protected Calibre will be able to see them and sync a copy to your PC. Once in Calibre you can change formats, if you wish. But if it's just a backup you're as well leaving tham as mobi.

Alternatively, USB your Kindle to your PC and copy what it will let you from the Documents folder on your reader.
Whackatagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If they are free of DRM, you can do it easily with a program like Calibre, but why would you want to store your backup in a format that looses all the formatting? Why not just back up the mobi or epub file? There are plenty of readers for the PC (again, like Calibre.)

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Not sure of what you are asking, exactly. The Kindle doesn't read epub, and I don't understand why you would want a book converted into a text file on your computer.

If you are wanting to create a library or archive on your computer, check out calibre. There is an entire section of this forum devoted to the program and I believe it is what you are looking for.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Why would you want to convert to txt and lose all formatting (such as italics)?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
KDA1

Why?

Because I want to.

In Calibre 8.36 I've tried the Save to Disk- Save Single Format to Disk. There are a whole lot of formats listed but when I choose, say, TXT or ODT or HTML I get the following error message-

calibre, version 0.8.36
WARNING: Could not save some books: Could not save some books, Click the show details button to see which ones.

Forever Notes
Requested formats not available

No if the formats aren't available....how do I get them?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDA1 View Post
Because I want to.

In Calibre 8.36 I've tried the Save to Disk- Save Single Format to Disk. There are a whole lot of formats listed but when I choose, say, TXT or ODT or HTML I get the following error message-

calibre, version 0.8.36
WARNING: Could not save some books: Could not save some books, Click the show details button to see which ones.

Forever Notes
Requested formats not available

No if the formats aren't available....how do I get them?
Did you Convert first?
IIRC only Save to Device prompts for a format if none compatible with the device exists.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
KDA1

Solved!

On the the right hand side of the Calibre screen, when a file/book is selected it shows Authors: Formats: Path:.....

If you click on "Path" you'll be taken to the folder/file location which contains the original final Added to Calibre. In my case that would be an .odt file.

So...the original file I was working on in my word processor is there.

I'm satisfied.