Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Philosopher
Connoisseur
Philosopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Lightbulb Search & Replace Suggestion

I had a suggestion for a future update regarding the search and replace function.

Here is the scenario I am considering. Often when I import books the isbn shows up as the title.

It would be nice if in the search & replace page you could have a way to replace one field with another.

Sounds simple enough.

Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You already can do this, but only in regular expression mode. See the attached screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	63789  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Philosopher
Connoisseur

Ah! Great. I didn't notice that option.

Thanks. Perhaps you can tell me if there is an easy way to edit the string being matched. I know there are a large number of expressions - but is there one that can concatenate a string - say removing the last four characters - or that can take only x number of characters from the left (or right)?

Appreciate your help.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Philosopher
Connoisseur

Following up

I know that I can, for example, do this from the left.

If I put in the expression [10] I get the ten characters from the left.

Is there a way to do the opposite - get the ten characters from the right?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
Philosopher
Connoisseur

I take that back on the [10] - misunderstood the output.

But I have been successful in finding some ways to accomplish my goal. Still it would be good to know if I could concatenate a string or if I could take only x number of characters from left or right.
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
S/R has both the template language and full regular expressions available, so there is very little you cannot do. See http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/template_lang.html and http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/regexp.html.

From your example you appear to be using the template language. To get the first 10 characters of a field, use {field:shorten(10,,0)}. To get the last 10, use {field:shorten(0,,10)}. The shorten function (and several others) is documented in the manual referred to above.

Note that you can also grab the first up-to-ten characters using a regexp. The search expression would be
Code:
(.{1,10}).*
The replace expression would be
Code:
\1
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Philosopher
Connoisseur

Thanks so much. Really helps.