Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
GPLarge
GPLarge began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
convince me

Ok i am in the market to get an ebook. I have it narrowed down to the Nook and the kindle. Both have good and bad points. My only use will be to read books but want an ebook as alot of my travels will be in an RV. I love the design of the Nook and think B&N nailed it there. I use an Android phone so I am familiar with th lag issues. The dictionary look up on the Kindle is much better but I think that can be fixed with an update. I read a lot of fiction some of them longer books ( "Under the Dome" to example. Has the gradually increasing lag timethe farther you get in the book been resolved with 1.2?
GPLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
GPLarge
GPLarge began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
Well I'm getting pushed closer to the Nook. After going to 2 different B&N stores today and asking similar questions it seems that for now if you have an issue with it after the initial 14 days you can call customer service for an RMA# you bring that with your original receipt to any B&N store and they will replace it. Just need to make sure you have back ups of any non B&N purchased content.
GPLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Sounds like you've made your decision. Go for it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Nook!!

The 'swipe' function's great.......and pushes the nook over the kindle for me

Being able to sit (or lie down) in total silence and change pages without a 'click' from the buttons every time......it's surprising how useful that is!
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I have Under the Dome (eReader) and it doesn't have any lag when changing pages at the end of the book. I have not seen any great lag with large ePub files either. I recall someone reporting lag with ePubs on the Nook which had been converted to ePub from another format with Calibre. S/he discovered that the Calibre conversion settings got set wrong. After resetting the conversion settings to the defaults, the lag went away.

My biggest issue with the Nook is that the B&N "my library" app is deliberately designed to favor books bought from B&N, and doesn't support searches, sort by recently read books or show covers on sideloaded materials. I'm not sure I would have purchased the Nook if I couldn't root it. The softrooted nook gives you a web browser, a file browser, and a "my books" app that gives better search capabilities than the B&N one.

I prefer to change pages with the swipe also.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
rmettier
rmettier began at the beginning.

Just finished the 1100+ page 'Atlas Shrugged' on my nook (I don't recommend the book, btw, Rands philosophy is painfully obvious throughout), and didn't notice any increasing lag towards the end of the book.

rooted 1.2 here.

However, here's a little detail I found to be a very convincing advantage of the open system of the nook, vs. the kindle: I have big hands and I usually read holding the nook in my right hand. This puts my thumb right on the 'page back' button on the right side of the device. Obviously, have the 'page forward' button there would be better, so...I simply changed it. Pulled the key layout file from the nook to my desktop, edited it and sent it back. Try doing that with a kindle.
As I said, this is a tiny detail, but it nicely illustrates the advantage of an open system.
rmettier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
tuomas
tuomas began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmettier View Post
SNIP

rooted 1.2 here.

However, here's a little detail I found to be a very convincing advantage of the open system of the nook, vs. the kindle: I have big hands and I usually read holding the nook in my right hand. This puts my thumb right on the 'page back' button on the right side of the device. Obviously, have the 'page forward' button there would be better, so...I simply changed it. Pulled the key layout file from the nook to my desktop, edited it and sent it back. Try doing that with a kindle.
As I said, this is a tiny detail, but it nicely illustrates the advantage of an open system.
Hey, that's great! Does the nook need to be rooted to do this? Can you give us more details on how to do this? I'd also like to remap the page turn keys. Thanks!
tuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I have Under the Dome (eReader) and it doesn't have any lag when changing pages at the end of the book. I have not seen any great lag with large ePub files either. I recall someone reporting lag with ePubs on the Nook which had been converted to ePub from another format with Calibre. S/he discovered that the Calibre conversion settings got set wrong. After resetting the conversion settings to the defaults, the lag went away.
Are there any webpages that contain the optimum settings for epubs that can be read on the Nook? I wonder how much a factor the internal file structure of an epub document, and the settings play into the performance on the device.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshzilla View Post
Are there any webpages that contain the optimum settings for epubs that can be read on the Nook? I wonder how much a factor the internal file structure of an epub document, and the settings play into the performance on the device.
I've read a few books on my nook now, PDF converted to epub, new epubs and news sites to epub
all of 'em read fine, page turn fine, just seem to be ok, haven't had any performance issues other than a lockup or two when buggering about with the thing.
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #10
rmettier
rmettier began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuomas View Post
Hey, that's great! Does the nook need to be rooted to do this? Can you give us more details on how to do this? I'd also like to remap the page turn keys. Thanks!
http://nookdevs.com/Button_mappings

Yes, I think it only works on rooted devices (you need adb access), but then again, why would you NOT root your nook, seeing as the process is so simple and the advantages so numerous?
rmettier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
tuomas
tuomas began at the beginning.

Talking

Quote:

Yes, I think it only works on rooted devices (you need adb access), but then again, why would you NOT root your nook, seeing as the process is so simple and the advantages so numerous?
Thanks! I've got my nook charging now to top it off so I can begin the rooting process!
tuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:

CUBA! TAKE ME TO CUBA!! My apologies to the original poster for hijacking this thread.

I will be purchasing a nook within a month. Won't rooting the nook void the warranty? I saw two types a "hard" root and a "soft" root, if you just do the root with the SD card, can you then unroot it if there's an issue?
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
CUBA! TAKE ME TO CUBA!! My apologies to the original poster for hijacking this thread.

I will be purchasing a nook within a month. Won't rooting the nook void the warranty? I saw two types a "hard" root and a "soft" root, if you just do the root with the SD card, can you then unroot it if there's an issue?
The soft root, which just about everyone does, basically just changes the configuration so that you can add additional packages, no modifications to the hardware at all. You can reinstall the 1.0 version of the Nook software and it will automatically reinstall the latest B&N version of the software.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
The soft root, which just about everyone does, basically just changes the configuration so that you can add additional packages, no modifications to the hardware at all. You can reinstall the 1.0 version of the Nook software and it will automatically reinstall the latest B&N version of the software.
Excellent! Thanks for the tip!
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #15
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
OK. So I bought the NC this week. Tech savy folks who discovered ebooks during the past few years likely built their librarys with Sony's BBeB (LRF) or EPUB. The two greatest downloads I have found are Calibre (for converting non DRM BBeB) and the adobe ereader (which has allowed me to load my existing epub books onto my Nook Color. Sony (to their enormous credit) allows readers who originally purchased books in secure BBeB to re-download them in epub. Then, using the adobe reader I can load the files onto my NC. I owned a Sony 505 for 3.5 years and still love it and intend to still use it when necessary. But, I am happy with the NC.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote