Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
scarlingflorian
scarlingflorian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Help with my Kindle please!

Hello there! I NEED HELP! This is my kindle... there was a while since I lost it and now that I found it, it looks like the battery is dead 💀 but when I plug it nothing happen other than the little yellow light turning on... so I tried holding the button for 20 seconds and nothing, then I tried holding it for 70 seconds, again nothing, then I tried charging it for 1 hour and then the button for 20 seconds and charging it again and nothing... 😫 I don’t know what to do... I know it works because when I connect it to my laptop, I can see all my books there...

What do you suggest? Has this happened to any of you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24993340_1896404187066210_8979262929387648991_n.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	160954  
scarlingflorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Plug it in, go out for a lunch and/or dinner date, have a cappuccino, catch a good film, then get a drink or two (you know your limit), then come back home and see if it took the charge.

Translation: Give it more than an hour.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Do what Dr Drib said, then go to bed and check it in the morning.
I recommend 24 hours.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Oh and it has to be unplugged for it to reboot by holding the power button.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
scarlingflorian
scarlingflorian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile

Oh great! Thank you both so much... I’ll try that and I’ll let you know.
scarlingflorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Something to be aware of is that if a device with a lithium ion battery, such as a Kindle, stays dead too long, it's designed to stay dead. Dead really means the battery is totally dead, not that the device won't start by itself. Devices will refuse to come on but can be recharged long before the battery is really totally dead.

The problem is that once the battery is truly flat connecting a charger to it can cause a fire and that's why they're designed not to let that happen.

Anyway, the advice you got above is good advice and I'd try it at least overnight before giving up. But then if it still doesn't come on you might consider replacing the battery.

My Paperwhite 2 battery was holding a charge for less than a day so I ordered a replacement battery from Ebay for $10, I think. It arrived this morning. It came with all the tools I needed. I went to Youtube and looked up a video on how to replace the battery for my particular Paperwhite. I watched it a couple of times. I started taking the Paperwhite apart.

First, it wasn't much like in the video at all although watching that video first was extremely helpful. There were enough things in common that I was able to figure out the differences. Second, that's easily the sloppiest, clumsiest and scariest thing I've ever done. And when I was a kid I used to ride in airplanes with a guy who loved flying under bridges. This was way scarier.

About half way through getting the case apart I was convinced that I simply wasn't going to be able to do it but at that point I was fairly sure I couldn't get it back together anyway so I figured I might as well keep going. I did. Everything you can imagine went wrong and yet right now my Paperwhite is charging it's new battery and working perfectly. i have no idea how I managed that. I've been an atheist most of my life. Maybe it's time for a prayer of thanks.

So, for $10 and 20 minutes of terror I now have what seems so far to be a perfectly good Paperwhite with a brand new battery.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Also, if Ebay doesn't work for you:
http://www.newpower99.com/category_s/233.htm
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
The reason I picked this particular battery was that someone in this forum said that that company on Ebay is the same company that supplies Newpower99. I'm not sure if that was a statement of fact or opinion but it's what made me decide to buy it. I probably would have bought it anyway but that was my tipping point.

I got the battery charged and left the Wifi on for the last 3 or 4 hours. Maybe 5. I haven't really done any reading on it. I'm between books. I did use it to browse a bit and get descriptions of books i already have on it. The battery gauge looks full. This is too soon to mean anything but it's at least encouraging.

If it turns out to be significantly better than the dying battery that was in it I think I'll settle for that. I'd rather not have to go through that installation again. I guess I will if I really have to though.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote