Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Why do they insist on being so backwards?

Ok, I just purchased an epub copy of Seth Lerer's Inventing English for class, and unfortunately, it was absolutely useless. The book makes extensive use of having scans of classic documents, and then goes over the language structure of the writing. However, if you get the ePub, all of those scans and quotations are removed and replaced with the line that has "Copyrighted image removed by Publisher". I found this out, because I purchased this right before class, and we were supposed to read from Hart's An Orthography during class. I pull up my nice shiny new copy, and as we are supposed to read out loud I see, I stand out because I am unable to read. Like I said, the entire book is structured around those quotations, so it is extremely difficult to understand what the author is going on about when you cannot see what he is referencing. This is pretty much the same as the art book without any images, only it singles out ebook users.

I've wrote an email to the publisher, hopefully I will hear back from them.

Last edited by Hellmark; 10-25-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Barnes and Noble allowed me to return an ebook like that. They not only refunded my money, but changed the description of the book to indicate that all tables, charts, illustrations are not part of the epub version of this book.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Google did refund, but no change to the description. Still, why bother having the book at all?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Why would they do that? What makes those images any less 'copyrighted' in a print book than in an ebook?!

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be difficult to read in an ebook, but - if they're going to do what you say, then it doesn't make sense (as you say) to create an ebook version of this publication at all!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I would have thought that came under "false advertising."

You offer a book and it is expected to be whole unless you say it is not.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Why would they do that? What makes those images any less 'copyrighted' in a print book than in an ebook?!
It's the same copyright, but a restricted authorization to use the image.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You took the words right out of my mouth

Images are many times, 'used by permission'
In some cases the owners do not authorize digital editions of the image.

I also agree with FizzWaters last statements . Why bother publishing.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth

Images are many times, 'used by permission'
In some cases the owners do not authorize digital editions of the image.

I also agree with FizzWaters last statements . Why bother publishing.
Since it is from Google, it is possible no humans were involved. They probably got a license to a batch of books from Columbia University Press and the entire publication process automated.

The King County Library, Issaquah, WA, USA, has it in epub and pdf. Don't know if that is also Google and don't have an account.

It is really sad if libraries are wasting money on (objectively) useless electronic books.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
It's the same copyright, but a restricted authorization to use the image.
But in this case, what copyright is there? We're talking documents, that are on the low side of being 300 years old, and some going over a thousand years old. I mean, the majority of the stuff predates copyright. I mean, what is the first copyright law, the Licensing of Press Act of 1662? The one example I mentioned was from 1569. 93 years before then, so again, what copyright?
Old 10-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
But in this case, what copyright is there? We're talking documents, that are on the low side of being 300 years old, and some going over a thousand years old. I mean, the majority of the stuff predates copyright. I mean, what is the first copyright law, the Licensing of Press Act of 1662? The one example I mentioned was from 1569. 93 years before then, so again, what copyright?
There is copyright in the reproduction by image... it is owned by the image producer...

If I transcribe an out-of-copyright text then there is no problem but if I photograph/photocopy the actual pages of a manuscript then I have the copyright in the actual photographs/scans and I can approve the use in a book but if nobody asks there may be no approval to reproduce in other media such as eBooks...

May not be helpful but that is reality at the moment...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
There is copyright in the reproduction by image... it is owned by the image producer...

If I transcribe an out-of-copyright text then there is no problem but if I photograph/photocopy the actual pages of a manuscript then I have the copyright in the actual photographs/scans and I can approve the use in a book but if nobody asks there may be no approval to reproduce in other media such as eBooks...

May not be helpful but that is reality at the moment...
This is a 2012 release from a 2007 paper edition. I suppose it's possible that they weren't thinking about ebooks in 2007. Why not get those rights for the ebook or insert text in lieu of pictures? Why would Columbia University Press release an ebook that seems to be useless for academic settings?

.em ot ddo smeeS
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
This is a 2012 release from a 2007 paper edition. I suppose it's possible that they weren't thinking about ebooks in 2007. Why not get those rights for the ebook or insert text in lieu of pictures? Why would Columbia University Press release an ebook that seems to be useless for academic settings?

.em ot ddo smeeS
Good question... 'Why not get those rights for the ebook?" Could be a simple answer - they weren't available - just wanting something doesn't make it happen... it may be dumb releasing the book without the images but it's likely that they couldn't get the rights - maybe the originator of the images is dead and they couldn't track his/her estate or maybe he/she is backpacking round the rain forest for the next five years...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post

Actually that isn't the case. If it were, then places like PGDP would not be able to take scanned images from online sources and create text versions from them.
A straight scan of a 2D page is not copyrightable, because there is no creative element involved in its creation, it is a 'slavish copy'.
See: Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp., 36 F. Supp. 2d 191 (S.D.N.Y. 1999)
While not directly binding on other courts, it has been widely followed, and is generally taken to be good law.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:57 AM   #14
powerjack0
powerjack0 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why is this, I hope that this is a useful evaluation.
powerjack0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard

If the reproduction thing was true, you'd have people violating copyright for using images of the Mona Lisa, or OCRed copies of works would be in copyright.