Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #31
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolgiati View Post
I thank all who responded for their kind help; but my original query remains unanswered:
Is it known whether some type(s) of Kindle are more fragile than others ?
TIA
They all are. They have a glass substrate behind the screen... you must be careful with them.

You were reporting issues with the Kindle Keyboard (K3), which is the kind that I told you about. BTW, not only mine, but we have three and two DX models, all of which get similar usage, and none have broken.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-26-2012 at 12:41 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Let's see... there have been three Sony Reader PRS-500, two PRS-505, one PRS-650, and one PRS-T1 here at one time or another. My Mother had a PRS-600 and now has a PRS-T1. That makes nine readers with every different version of the 6" screen that eink has made. Not a single one has ever has a broken screen. They have all lived in a Sony made case. And yes, some have been dropped and survived.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #33
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
A case is really important and again, how you handle the e-reader is really important too. I'm kinda freakishly careful with my e-reader because I had a Nook that broke less than 24 hours after buying it. It turns out the broken screen wasn't my fault and it was replaced with no problem. Still, I'm treat my e-reader carefully. It actually took me a while to get a case for my PRS-350 after I brought it. So I made sure to treat it extra carefully before I finally got a case for it. I finally have one and even now, I'm very careful with where I place the reader in my handbag and where I place it when I'm not reading. I place it where my cat is not likely to walk on it and I make sure that I don't place anything else on it either. I never place it in my bookbag. Between the laptop and paper books, I'm afraid that too much pressure will be exerted on the e-ink screen and it will break.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #34
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
I thank all who responded for their kind help; but my original query remains unanswered:
TIA
I don't think it's known--the screens are largely the same (The DX being larger and the touch screens being..well, touch screens.)

I love the K3 keyboard. I have only had it 6 months, but I sure hope it lasts...forever. I take it with me traveling and quilted a nice soft case for it (and it also has a fake leather case around it.)

But I don't think that there is any particular model with a known weakness.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I don't think it's known--the screens are largely the same (The DX being larger and the touch screens being..well, touch screens.)

I love the K3 keyboard. I have only had it 6 months, but I sure hope it lasts...forever. I take it with me traveling and quilted a nice soft case for it (and it also has a fake leather case around it.)

But I don't think that there is any particular model with a known weakness.
Maybe the Cybook Gen 3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #36
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
TIA
No.

The contrast can be different but the screen is still similar.

As long as they are eink readers, they all are the same.

What I mean with that is, you should provide the same care to all of them. Like other explained, a case is one of the few things you should buy and also, avoiding sudden impact on the screen, due to accidents or tossing the device inside a backpack , for example.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not so much impacts that will fracture the screen, as much as twisting or bending forces. That's what you really need to guard against. Eg, don't put anything heavy on top of the Kindle, or put it between heavy books in a bag or backpack.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote