Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Fave Ebook Site?

What is your favourite ebook site?

Just wanting some others to look at.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Daily visits:

Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/
Books in the public domain in the United States

Project Gutenberg Canada: http://gutenberg.ca/#h2newreleases
Books in the public domain in Canada
(Canada uses Life+50 years as the period for copyright, so there are works that are in the public domain in Canada but not the US.)

Project Gutenberg Australia: http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty.html
Books in the public domain in Australia. (It used to have a page of works in the public domain in Australia, but not elsewhere. AU has changed its laws on copyright to correspond to the Life+70 years practice in the US and elsewhere, but works already considered in the public domain were not retroactively removed from public domain status, so tehre tre a variety of things available there but not elsewhere.))

Munseys: http://www.munseys.com
Formerly known as Blackmask. Mostly works sourced from Project Gutenberg, but a fair bit of stuff not available elsewhere. The proprietor is a fan of "noir" and "hard boiled" mysteries, and old pulp magazine stuff that no one has gotten around to adding to PG. Books are offered in a variety of popular formats, produced by scripted conversion from source.

ManyBooks.net: http://manybooks.net
Mostly material sourced from Project Gutenberg, but with a healthy offering of Creative Commons licensed works as well. The proprietor pushes ManyBooks as a distribution site for such things. Books are offered in a variety of popular formats, produced by scripted conversion from source.

Periodic visits:
The Internet Sacred Text Archive: http://www.sacred-texts.com/
An enormous quantity of material related to spirituality, religion, philosophy, and culture.

The Online Books Page: http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/
An online library offered by the University of Pennsylvania

Perseus Digital Library: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/
A collection of works oriented to classics and the antiquities from Tufts University.

The Baen Free Library: http://www.baen.com/library
A collection of freely available SF and fantasy novels by authors in Baen's stable, in a variety of formats. A number of books in the Free Library are not listed on the Baen site, but appeared in bound-in CDs in selected Baen hardcovers. A complete set of the CDs in Zip and ISO image format, is available at The Fifth Imperium: http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com

The On-line Library of Liberty http://oll.libertyfund.org/
A variety of works on politics and economics

There's more, but this is a start.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
smurfymom
smurfymom began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel 6"
<link removed by moderator>

You pay a one time small fee to get a lifetime of unlimited ebook downloads.

Moderator Notice
MobileRead is against ebook piracy. Links to sites offering illegal copies of copyrighted works will be removed. Posting of such links can result in loss of MobileRead access.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 03-17-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Removed link to copyrighted materials
smurfymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Deleted - MODERATOR]

You pay a one time small fee to get a lifetime of unlimited ebook downloads.
Looks incredibly dodgy to me. Access to all those books for a one time fee? The publishers would never go for it. One of the books they show on the front page of the site is Harry Potter. There are no legal Harry Potter ebooks for sale.

Last edited by Jellby; 03-18-2011 at 12:29 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
smurfymom

the best way I have found to get the new releases that I want is to download Bittorrent and then search for a title at <deleted by moderator>
I have found almost every book on my to read list doing this. Best of all they are all free.

Last edited by DMcCunney; 03-17-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Link to site usable for finding pirated material
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Looks incredibly dodgy to me. Access to all those books for a one time fee? The publishers would never go for it. One of the books they show on the front page of the site is Harry Potter. There are no legal Harry Potter ebooks for sale.
And poking around on the underlying site, there is no mention of copyrights or legalities. Dodgy is a good word for it.
______
Dennis
Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Project Gutenberg, FeedBooks.com, smashwords.com and of course mobileread.com.
Most of my reading is public domain and free books.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Don't forget BeWrite books!
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfymom View Post
the best way I have found to get the new releases that I want is to download Bittorrent and then search for a title at <deleted by moderator>
I have found almost every book on my to read list doing this. Best of all they are all free.
And are illegal to procure in that manner. Please refrain from advocating piracy on MR. Doing so can be hazardous to your access.
______
Dennis
Old 03-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Always been a fan of Project Gutenberg since I learned about it. I never realized just how much there is in the public domain. My boy loves some of the children's anthologies I've downloaded from there. When I have my reader out, he always jumps in my lap and wants me to read to him.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Hulk like SMASHwords!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Amazon
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
smurfymom

yes to smashword

I love smashword, but unfortunately their catolog doesnt have a lot of what I am looking for.

As for posting sites I shouldnt I didnt know but now I do so I wont
Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i'm a big fan of the kobo book store
i like the layout and ease of looking for books.
and with the kobo store i can go to my local chapters which is a couple of blocks away and buy a gift card with whatever amount i want on it then use it online to buy the books i want easily without having to use my credit card. huge plus.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #15
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
And are illegal to procure in that manner. Please refrain from advocating piracy on MR. Doing so can be hazardous to your access.
______
Dennis
They may be illegal to procure in that manner because of the "uploading" element of using bittorrents. However, downloading copyrighted material may not be illegal, depending on your jurisdiction.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote