Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #16
MrHatandClogs
MrHatandClogs doesn't litterMrHatandClogs doesn't litter

Device: Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenhk View Post
Hello,

I first received the notice on my Literati to download the new update at 6:30 this evening. It is now after 10pm and I've downloaded the update over a dozen times now yet it's still coming back up with the same message to download the available update. Was it suppose to start back up by itself? because I had to turn it back on everytime except for one time, thinking yeah! This is it! But no, the message came again, that was two hours ago.

I held the button down for restart and a column of little lines went up the left hand side of the screen then the screen went black. I let go but nothing happens. I even did the reset on the back. But of course, didn't help either.

Please tell me I missed something really silly, like an actual "Restart" button on the keyboard but, like the story of my life, the sticky on mine fell off so I didn't even know about it.
There is no restart on the keyboard. [s]And, no it won't start back up by itself.[/s]I take that back, after the new update as of 1/22/11 it does restart itself.

For me it just downloaded the update, then installed the update then shutdown. And, I waited a few minutes, then turned it back on and it was updated.

And if this was the first time updating there will be two updates. One that goes pretty quick, probably like 45 secs to a 1 min. And the second update is longer, probably at least 4-5 min.

I haven't heard of it not being updated after it shuts off, or the lines to black thing you said.

I would say maybe if you don't have a very strong wifi connection this could be causing the problem, but it's unlikely.

If you can't get it to work, I'd advise calling Literati Tech Support via literatireader.com support page. They are very helpful, and you actually talk to a person. Call them and see if they have any ideas, and if not they may send you a voucher to exchange yours for a new one.

Last edited by MrHatandClogs; 01-22-2011 at 03:37 AM.
MrHatandClogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #17
maidenhk
maidenhk began at the beginning.

Thank you, I will call them come Monday. It does restart by itself now, but the message to update still comes back afterwards. I'd also thought the wifi might be an issue so I'm thinking to test it out at a hot spot tomorrow. But like you, I'm doubtful as well.

Thank you for setting up this forum. I learned a lot about my literati, which I like very much. I don't think I could stand a grey and white ereader after experiecing a color one. While I do not judge any books by their covers, I do like to see them in color.
maidenhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
what does the latest update do?
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #19
EncoreTech
EncoreTech began at the beginning.

I got a good deal on a Literati...at "Goodwill"....unfortunately it appears that it might not be worth it.

The reason I really want this, is that I work with a theatre company & we receive frequent submissions of scripts, so I would like to save them as a PDF and put on the reader, saving paper & ink. Of course, I'd probably use it for just reading other books as well, but the script submissions is the primary reason I bit the bullet and bought the Literati.

The item had obviously been out of the box, but upon inspection it looked like it had not been used much. The case wasn't even unwrapped from the plastic.

My biggest issue with the Literati, was that when I plug it into my laptop with the USB, Windows gives me an error saying that there is no driver for the device. I called TechSupport, they said to take it back to the store and ask for a new device (it was the only one!).

IS THERE AN ALTERNATE WAY TO INSTALL A DRIVER ON MY LAPTOP?

Thanks for your help.

Otherwise, I'm gonna return it for my money back.
EncoreTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
make sure that your literati is on before connecting it via usb. in my opinion, the device is the pits at rendering PDFs.

Last edited by eSheri; 01-27-2011 at 09:00 PM.
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #21
threebeers
threebeers began at the beginning.

Device: Palm, Sony, Nook, Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreTech View Post
I got a good deal on a Literati...at "Goodwill"....unfortunately it appears that it might not be worth it.

The reason I really want this, is that I work with a theatre company & we receive frequent submissions of scripts, so I would like to save them as a PDF and put on the reader, saving paper & ink. Of course, I'd probably use it for just reading other books as well, but the script submissions is the primary reason I bit the bullet and bought the Literati.

The item had obviously been out of the box, but upon inspection it looked like it had not been used much. The case wasn't even unwrapped from the plastic.

My biggest issue with the Literati, was that when I plug it into my laptop with the USB, Windows gives me an error saying that there is no driver for the device. I called TechSupport, they said to take it back to the store and ask for a new device (it was the only one!).

IS THERE AN ALTERNATE WAY TO INSTALL A DRIVER ON MY LAPTOP?

Thanks for your help.

Otherwise, I'm gonna return it for my money back.
It isn't your computer, it's the device. First, find a wifi hotspot and install the latest firmware on the device (2.0). This takes a while and might take two downloads/installs and a hard reset. Then turn on the device, then plug it in USB. It should be recognized as a drive letter.

And unless you intend to buy stuff from Kobo, don't bother with Kobo desktop, Calibre works great. It installs stuff in the right files on the device. Set all margins to 0 when you convert or dl Calibre feeds.

Congrats on getting it cheap. Lots of people got these for Xmas as gifts and don't know what to do with them. If you spend an hour configuring it per the above, it works well. Runs the same software as a Kobo reader.
threebeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #22
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
Well folks, I fought the good fight. Tonight, at 6:30 PM local time, my Literati device refused to power up. No matter how much CPR (on-button pressure) I provided -- it could not be resuscitated.

Shall be returned tomorrow for a refund.

At least I learned a little about e-readers, and that I probably really want a PDN or a Nook.

Can someone point the way to forums for those readers, please?
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 AM   #23
nyjastul69
nyjastul69 began at the beginning.

Question Literati Memory Capacity

My Literati 'Onboard Storage' is reading 180 MB of 252 MB. Is 252 MB of memory the proper amount? I've read a few conflicting answers so far.

Please note that I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world so I apologize if I'm missing something. Thank you for your time.
nyjastul69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #24
vjplo
Enthusiast
vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
Well folks, I fought the good fight. Tonight, at 6:30 PM local time, my Literati device refused to power up. No matter how much CPR (on-button pressure) I provided -- it could not be resuscitated.
Did you try the paper clip reset in the back? That's rescued me a few times.
vjplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #25
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
vjplo -- This didn't work. It just won't power up at all. It is now back at kohls!

I am wondering, though -- I was charging it at a regular outlet, and do you think that if it had been at a surge-protected outlet ... maybe it got fried (or at least jolted).

Though to be perfectly honest, I'm really understanding why the manufacturer and resale outlets are dumping them at $12/shot!
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:52 AM   #26
vjplo
Enthusiast
vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
vjplo -- This didn't work. It just won't power up at all. It is now back at kohls!

I am wondering, though -- I was charging it at a regular outlet, and do you think that if it had been at a surge-protected outlet ... maybe it got fried (or at least jolted).

Though to be perfectly honest, I'm really understanding why the manufacturer and resale outlets are dumping them at $12/shot!
I don't think the outlet type matters.
Some of us (including me) like it, others hate it, and there are so many who report problems with it. DH has one, too, so we're 2 for 2 as far as success goes.
vjplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #27
clownfav
clownfav began at the beginning.

need Literati help

I was readling along with my Literati this morning and all of a sudden it won't turn the page, won't let me turn it off..........nothing! The whole thing is frozen. Any suggestions?
clownfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #28
Kismatt
lowly peon
Kismatt began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A7, Win10 Tab, Paperwhite (7th Gen), Paperwhite (10th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
My Literati 'Onboard Storage' is reading 180 MB of 252 MB. Is 252 MB of memory the proper amount? I've read a few conflicting answers so far.

Please note that I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world so I apologize if I'm missing something. Thank you for your time.
Internal storage is 256MB, so 252MB (with OS wiggle room) is the correct amount. You can add up to 8GB with an SD card.
Kismatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #29
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfav View Post
I was readling along with my Literati this morning and all of a sudden it won't turn the page, won't let me turn it off..........nothing! The whole thing is frozen. Any suggestions?
Have you tried a paper clip in the reset hole? I got my first lock-up last night, and this solved it.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #30
Laurabel
Laurabel began at the beginning.

Device: Literati--Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb479 View Post
So I just bought a book on the B & N site. I downloaded it to the adobe digital editions and it will not take it, states it is authorized to another user. Can someone help me get this file onto my Liberati reader please!!!
epub.v6.epub
I have had this same problem, can anyone help? Thanks
Laurabel is offline   Reply With Quote