Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Letter to Bookeen

I've just mailed this to Bookeen (and as I've set a few news sites and computer magazines in CC, they're hopefully provide a bit more information). I'll keep you informed...

---------------------------------------
Dear Sir or Madam,

you’ve promised the release of a new firmware update for the Gen3 device now for a very long time. You’ve updated some devices at a french MobileRead meetup, you’ve replaced broken devices with ones running the new firmware, you’re even selling new ones with the new firmware…

Sorry, but I can’t understand why you’re not releasing it to the public!? In fact, nobody understands this and to make things worse, there is no kind of official information available anywhere. It’s one thing to keep business secrets, but a complete other to be as silent and secretive as you’ve been.

Yes, there has been some information leaked in private mails to customers, but it all came down to “next Monday” or “soon” or “in a few weeks” and none of this has happened! Don’t you see, you’re already losing customers because of this “strange” behavior?

OK, you’re a small company and maybe you’re having not enough manpower or it’s holiday season or you’re so excited about your new Opus device or whatever, but you seem to have the new firmware ready so please tell me: WHAT IS THE MATTER???

A proud, but somewhat puzzled and a bit upset owner of a Gen3,

gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
it's now 16:30 (bst) - any reply, yet ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
it's now 16:30 (bst) - any reply, yet ?
They'll surely reply on Monday
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
We want FOLDER VIEW!!!
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
We want an official statement, that's it ...
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
bjornkeizers
bjornkeizers has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bjornkeizers has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bjornkeizers has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
And I thought *I* was frustrated.

The only way they'll take notice is if you print it out, tape it to a brick, and hand-deliver it through an office window. I've sent them mails, enquiring about shipping times for the Opus -- and I never recieved so much as an autoreply...

I still love my Gen 3, but I'm working on a fervent hatred for Bookeen as a company. Between the firmware limbo, and Opus not showing up in retail channels... I'm tempted to check out other stuff from iRex or Sony.
bjornkeizers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Guys, this is not the way it goes. Gosh, I hope it would work sometimes, but it usually does not.
Don´t you think, they are getting enough e-mails already about that? I can picture them, all kinds of length, kindness, technical background levels, from noobs to geeks, up to threats on lowest niveau.

Only thing that will change (or has already), that they won´t read every e-mail anymore, cause it says the same as any other.
(I also very much doubt, the mags are intrested in that sort of thing. Gen3 is too old for those. jm2c)

That said, I would be surprised if you get an answer.
Stunned for an ETA
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It's August. Nothing happens in Paris during August. People go on holiday. I very much doubt whether anything will happen before the rentrée (i.e. September).
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
arit
Cybook Warrior
arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia E65, HTC Universal, Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
They'll surely reply on Monday
Please specifiy *which* Monday.
arit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
Verena
Verena began at the beginning.

Device: NO MORE BOOKEEN !!
NO MORE BOOKEEN PRODUCTS! NEVER!
The worst support in the whole wide WWW!
I wait for a protective cover for 7 weeks to buy for $ 30! Now it's part of the (cheaper) unit ...
I wait for the EPub-Update to Doomsday ... I promise you all!
Wait for answering our question for the "1st quarter of 2009" update ...

My result: I WILL NEVER BUY A BOOKEEN PRODUCT AGAIN! NEVER!
My new SONY 505 is already on my desk ... Bye, frenchmen ...

================================================== ==============
@ Gerraldo: Plz don't read this post, and PLZ don't flame me again like often before!
Verena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
It is a shame that they treat their customers this way. It seems like there are more and more people who will never purchase one of their products again. Support after the sale is something they just haven't learned...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
See you next Doomsday.

Verena, you could have ordered your cover from justread.de. Would have been much easier and faster.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verena View Post
@ Gerraldo: Plz don't read this post, and PLZ don't flame me again like often before!
1. If you don't want me to read it (?), you should've started your post with this message.
2. In this case, it surely was no good idea to post in a thread I started.
3. If I'd really flamed you, I would've been banned from this forum for good...

gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:13 AM   #14
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K View Post
Guys, this is not the way it goes. Gosh, I hope it would work sometimes, but it usually does not.
Don´t you think, they are getting enough e-mails already about that? I can picture them, all kinds of length, kindness, technical background levels, from noobs to geeks, up to threats on lowest niveau.

Only thing that will change (or has already), that they won´t read every e-mail anymore, cause it says the same as any other.
(I also very much doubt, the mags are intrested in that sort of thing. Gen3 is too old for those. jm2c)

That said, I would be surprised if you get an answer.
Stunned for an ETA
According to your logic, if a company behaves in a way you feel you should complain about and it has a history of not responding you should not send your complaint because it would lead to them not reading their e-mails any more (or less, anyway).
Apart from the fact that it has been proven and tried a hundred times that companies ignore a few customers but suddenly start to react when they are faced with massive customer feedback, it's also a pretty sad strategy.

If a company stops reading mails if they are faced with plenty of complaints then - in my opinion - they should close down and leave making business to companies who know how to do it. Ignoring a fair number of your customers has never been a good nor viable strategy, no matter in what tone or manner they voice their concerns.
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:16 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verena View Post
I wait for a protective cover for 7 weeks to buy for $ 30! Now it's part of the (cheaper) unit ...
Wait for answering our question for the "1st quarter of 2009" update ...

My result: I WILL NEVER BUY A BOOKEEN PRODUCT AGAIN! NEVER!
My new SONY 505 is already on my desk ... Bye, frenchmen ...

I find registring on a borad just to flame a company totally stupid. (And, while i'm a leniant moderator, i probably would have banned you if i where them)
And don't insult frenchs would you !

I'm afraid patricia's right.
Would be nice for bookeen to issue some statement about that though...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote