Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
xping
Connoisseur
xping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-books

Device: kobo aura hd, kobo mini, Sony prs-t3
Talking Epub3reader

Hi,

I found this https://github.com/pettarin/epub3reader/

It is a very interesting project for android:

A reader that can handle 2 ebook on the same screen, or two sections of the same file at a time.

Waiting for a reader with 2 screens (Yes, book format with left and right display.... would be wonderful), does someone think that should be possible to port the above project on kobo (maybe Aura HD screen would be enough to handle two smaller screens....)??

Such a think would be great to read a book on one display and read notes on the other or to keep a page on left and go ahead on the right display...

thx
xping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:43 AM   #2
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
This is an amazing project, and the advantages of its features are obvious. I'm especially thinking of reading poetry in a foreign language. It's not easy for a non-native speaker to understand Shakespeare; good to be able to have the translation aside (it's even better to try a translation of your own, of course, but that means so much trouble ...)

Perhaps some day in farther future there will be an option for other OS?
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
xping
Connoisseur
xping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-books

android on kobo

Just thinking to convert my aura hd do android....
I just would avoid to open it to change sdcard
Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I've looked at this, too. Unfortunately it is Java-based, otherwise it would be a candidate for inclusion into KoReader...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
xping
Connoisseur

fe3ature

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I've looked at this, too. Unfortunately it is Java-based, otherwise it would be a candidate for inclusion into KoReader...
Shurely two sections display would be a top feature to add to future versions of koreader.....
Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
zufre
Connoisseur
zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo/Nook ST
You dont need to open your Kobo to install Android. Or so says angor00:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=231681&page=3
I am waiting for the translation to have dual boot...
zufre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
angor00
Enthusiast
angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Aura HD
In the case of Epub3reader this Android on Kobo wouldn't help. Because
Quote:
To install the APK on your smartphone or tablet, you need:
Android 4.0 or higher
but on Kobo Android version 2.3.4
I tried to install this program, it cannot be installed on this version.

Quote:
I am waiting for the translation to have dual boot...

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-08-2014 at 06:59 AM.
angor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Hi, I'm Alberto Pettarin, mentoring the students developing EPUB3Reader.

Thanks for appreciating our project! Please note that so far the code has been written by students developing on Android for the first time*.

Hence, I would discourage taking the code "as is", but I encourage you to "steal" as many ideas as you like. (Additional ideas: http://www.albertopettarin.it/rs.html )

A word of caution: regrettably, the EPUB specification does not contain an explicit way of describing parallel texts in a declarative way (metadata, RDF properties, etc.) --- nor the IDPF does seem to care about it. Hence, we adopted the naming convention described in the GitHub main page --- please be aware of the (arbitrary) nature of this convention if you plan to support parallel texts**.

Happy reading!

* Actually, next month there will be a heavy refactoring round, where we will fix many open issues, and better structure the code for future development by another set of students.

** For example, we are going to support the same naming convention, but applied to the OPF manifest id's instead of the actual filenames.

EDIT: there is another MR thread about EPUB3Reader here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222054

Last edited by AlPe; 02-06-2014 at 11:26 AM.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi all, I am very sorry, but the project is halted, as no new students joined in. The GitHub repo is still available, if anyone is interested in working on it.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

If you are interested in parallel texts and EPUB, I suggest reading:

http://www.albertopettarin.it/blog/2...ever-born.html

and/or try this free English/Italian Audio-eBook:

https://www.readbeyond.it/parallel/
Old 07-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #11
xping
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
If you are interested in parallel texts and EPUB, I suggest reading:

http://www.albertopettarin.it/blog/2...ever-born.html

and/or try this free English/Italian Audio-eBook:

https://www.readbeyond.it/parallel/
this is EXACTLY what i'd like to see in these pages.... some innovation.

I know that google has copyrighted the idea of an ebook reader with two screens (book size, if opened)

Thx for the effort and for these news
Old 07-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Thank you. But the above story clearly shows that:

1) (editorial) content from commercial publishers
2) innovation
3) open formats

do not mix well.

Right now, if you are lucky, you get two of the above... and more often, just one.

Tags
#twoscreens