Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #6451
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Gotta love em for trying!
I'm sure for your "average" buyer who doesn't visit forums and blogs where higher value codes are constantly shared that the 20% discount sounds semi-decent and might motivate them to buy a new book they might not have bought otherwise.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #6452
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
Are there people around here who as a matter of course buy their books in India? Or at least shop around? Are there any disadvantages?
If Kobo decides to do so, they can close your account if you "travel" regularly. I actually have two accounts; my own, based at my own Dutch address, and one based at the US address of a family member who lives in the US and Netherlands alternately (depending on work). I also manage the Dutch account of an aunt. (A real aunt, with a real e-reader who buys real Dutch books.)

I mostly buy books in the US because the US vs. EUR rate makes them cheaper, and the choice is larger.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #6453
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm sure for your "average" buyer who doesn't visit forums and blogs where higher value codes are constantly shared that the 20% discount sounds semi-decent and might motivate them to buy a new book they might not have bought otherwise.
Agreed, but it gave me a good chuckle.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #6454
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If Kobo decides to do so, they can close your account if you "travel" regularly. I actually have two accounts; my own, based at my own Dutch address, and one based at the US address of a family member who lives in the US and Netherlands alternately (depending on work). I also manage the Dutch account of an aunt. (A real aunt, with a real e-reader who buys real Dutch books.)

I mostly buy books in the US because the US vs. EUR rate makes them cheaper, and the choice is larger.
I wonder... if I were Kobo I would've blocked this whole migration thing ages ago. If Amazon can bar me from buying books at co.uk and force me to .com it shouldn't be too hard for Kobo to do something similar. An IP address carries information on what country it's in. Not that I mind that they don't fix this, I just wonder...

Maybe this should be in another thread.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #6455
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
I wonder... if I were Kobo I would've blocked this whole migration thing ages ago. If Amazon can bar me from buying books at co.uk and force me to .com it shouldn't be too hard for Kobo to do something similar. An IP address carries information on what country it's in. Not that I mind that they don't fix this, I just wonder...

Maybe this should be in another thread.
They know people do it, so I guess they've decided (and the publishers haven't complained) it's currently in their best interests to not make geo restrictions harder to get around.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #6456
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld
I wonder... if I were Kobo I would've blocked this whole migration thing ages ago. If Amazon can bar me from buying books at co.uk and force me to .com it shouldn't be too hard for Kobo to do something similar.
It isn't but Amazon doesn't do it either.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #6457
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I think we should make hay while the sun shines.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #6458
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
After all, migrating doesn't hurt anyone, except maybe a country which charges a tax for purchasing a book. If I can't buy a book in Australia but can get it in the US or wherever, I benefit, Kobo benefits and the author benefits. I can't see why they would want to stop it from happening.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #6459
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
This is off topic but actually Kobo is owned by Rakuten, a Japanese company.
As a result, they have strict policy in Japan.
I can't change countries, or "travel" as you say. My Japanese credit card is linked to my Japanese address. There is no alternative payment method such as paypal. My IP always redirects me to rakuten.kobobooks.com. It is impossible for me to open kobobooks.com
I don't want to rain on your parade, but this "traveling" might be a temporary thing, and Japanese may very well decide to enforce order on other Kobo sites as well.

I hope they don't though
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #6460
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I can't change countries, or "travel" as you say. My Japanese credit card is linked to my Japanese address. There is no alternative payment method such as paypal. My IP always redirects me to rakuten.kobobooks.com. It is impossible for me to open kobobooks.com
I don't want to rain on your parade, but this "traveling" might be a temporary thing, and Japanese may very well decide to enforce order on other Kobo sites as well.

I hope they don't though
I wouldn't be too afraid. From France I can only access the French website and when I was in England it was the .co.uk one. It's really linked to the IP address.
Regarding the PayPal thing, I don't remember seeing it as an option on many websites in Japan. I don't know how popular it can be now, but then the payment options were credit card or conbini.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #6461
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I didn't write that to make you scared O_o
I wrote to let you know how things operate in Japan, because Rakuten is Japanese company. And you are right, it's still mostly credit card or コンビニ. I mentioned paypal, because it's an option on some other Kobo sites. Anyway,my main point was:
You cant change countries at the checkout on Japanese handled Kobo site.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #6462
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
After all, migrating doesn't hurt anyone, except maybe a country which charges a tax for purchasing a book. If I can't buy a book in Australia but can get it in the US or wherever, I benefit, Kobo benefits and the author benefits. I can't see why they would want to stop it from happening.
I suppose the publisher who paid for the rights in your home area might feel they're "hurt" since it could be a lost sale for them if you're buying from a different publisher. The author could be "hurt" in that they may be getting a lesser royalty for the publisher in the place you migrated to vs your home area.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #6463
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I suppose the publisher who paid for the rights in your home area might feel they're "hurt" since it could be a lost sale for them if you're buying from a different publisher. The author could be "hurt" in that they may be getting a lesser royalty for the publisher in the place you migrated to vs your home area.
Those are indeed possibilities, but if the book is out of print in your home area and available in another area, it would indeed be a lost sale if you didn't travel.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #6464
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Those are indeed possibilities, but if the book is out of print in your home area and available in another area, it would indeed be a lost sale if you didn't travel.
Don't get me wrong. Not advocating one way or the other when it comes to traveling, just saying someone might feel they're "hurt" in some instances. After all they exist because of the territorial rights that authors/agents want to sell and publishers purchase.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #6465
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post

I hope they don't though
It's fairly easy to "travel", even when your IP is in Japan (or any other country). And once in another country, their Kobo store allows PayPal, so you don't even really need an alternate credit card. And while such travelling isn't really on topic here, consider StrongVPN or HideMyAss, both of which I've used quite successfully.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals