Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Can the kindle (2) be used as a mobile internet device?

My parents pay $30 a month for a data plan that they use maybe a 5 times a year to charge something on paypal (virtual terminal) when they are on the road like a convention. Obviously, a kindle, after a year, would be free if used this way. Is it possible?

Or does the kindle 3g give you a reduce subset of the internet?
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
From my understanding the Kindle doesn't have a great web browsing experience. They're probably not going to enjoy using it as a web device...
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Kindle is slow and laborious to get anything from the web. Suggest an internet cafe as an alternative to travelers or a iTouch, which does decent email and web browsing.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
jibril
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiationman View Post
From my understanding the Kindle doesn't have a great web browsing experience. They're probably not going to enjoy using it as a web device...
Well, the only sites they need to access will be google mail, paypal.com, and wikipedia....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Kindle is slow and laborious to get anything from the web. Suggest an internet cafe as an alternative to travelers or a iTouch, which does decent email and web browsing.
Well, they do 5 conventions a year. There is no wifi (okay there is, but some convention halls charge up to a ludicrous $500 for a one weekend access), they have a booth and need to charge credit cards through paypal.

They use a data plan with my father's T-mobile hooked with a notebook since the Razr's don't have a browser. However, the notebook-bluetooth-phone internet doesn't always work without my help (they are really bad with computers). That is slow anyways, so I don't think the kindle will be much slower.

But then am I correct that the Kindle whispernet can go to any site although the Kindle may not render everything like flash? I'm not clear if Sprint limits the navigation to just wikipedia and amazon.com or gives kindle users free reign....
Old 02-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Can the kindle (2) be used as a mobile internet device?

Kindle 1 and 2 have a rudimentary web browser.

If your are visiting sites comprised of text and simple image, it works OK.
If the sites you visit have complex layouts, or if they include animations of any kind, Kindle's e-ink technology doesn't lend itself to an acceptable viewing experience.

If the site is very interactive, with lots of pull-downs, pop-ups, check-boxes, etc, then the experience will be tedious, if not crippled outright. For example - there is no Flash. QuickTime, animated GIF, etc. on Kindle.

Lastly, the web-browser application is not very sophisticated relative to modern website layout conventions. Keep in mind Kindle's screen resolution doesn't match industry de-facto standards (Kindle: 600x800 vs 1024x?larger for most sites).
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
frecklpwr
frecklpwr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I think that for the simple, infrequent tasks you describe, it would work really well.
frecklpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Sounds like you need a Netbook instead of a Kindle
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibril View Post
Well, the only sites they need to access will be google mail, paypal.com, and wikipedia...
Gmail works and wikipedia is built in. I don't know about paypal, but if it has a mobile browser interface it will probably work. Amazon has a 30 day return policy, so I think it is definitely worth getting one to try out.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm trying this out on the original Kindle and it's painfully slow. There are 2 modes to the web browser and default seems to work best. I was able to add funds to my account (from my bank), view transactions, and request payment.

It's slow and it eats up the battery so you would need to keep the Kindle plugged in to the charger. On the original Kindle I use a Palm Zire cable which has both a small device USB plug and a charging tip. If I keep the cell service on I keep the charging tip plugged in. The new Kindle charges directly from the USB plug but that could be a problem if the new Kindle goes into USB mode when plugged into a PC. You would need a charger that plugs into an electrical outlet, easy enough to find.

All I can suggest is to try out the Kindle with your parents and see if it will do what they need. Also remember that the web browser is considered experimental and features could change even though nothing has really changed since I bought my Kindle in November 2007.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Do they usually have cell coverage where they are? Remember the Kindle relies on Sprint's network for connectivity so if there's no coverage, either because of where they are or because of the building they're in it won't work.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I wouldn't use my Kindle for any kind of regular internet browsing...
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
jibril
Connoisseur

Thanks to everyone that's been answering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Sounds like you need a Netbook instead of a Kindle
How will that be better than their existing notebook?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Gmail works and wikipedia is built in. I don't know about paypal, but if it has a mobile browser interface it will probably work. Amazon has a 30 day return policy, so I think it is definitely worth getting one to try out.
Yeah, I really like Amazon's service. However, I don't want to frivolously abuse the 30 return until I'm reasonably sure that this is something that they can use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm trying this out on the original Kindle and it's painfully slow. There are 2 modes to the web browser and default seems to work best. I was able to add funds to my account (from my bank), view transactions, and request payment.

It's slow and it eats up the battery so you would need to keep the Kindle plugged in to the charger.
On their notebook-bluetooth-phone connection, it takes about 1.5-2 minutes for paypal to show up. Is it slower than this?

They can't put in the charger as their is none at the shows (unless one pays a huge fee), but would browsing, say, 30-50 pages be beyond the range of the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Do they usually have cell coverage where they are? Remember the Kindle relies on Sprint's network for connectivity so if there's no coverage, either because of where they are or because of the building they're in it won't work.
Well, looking at the sprint map, in theory they should have coverage. But in reality.... Keep in mind these conventions usually take place in bigger towns - Pittsburgh, PA, Louisville, KY, etc.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibril View Post
Well, looking at the sprint map, in theory they should have coverage. But in reality.... Keep in mind these conventions usually take place in bigger towns - Pittsburgh, PA, Louisville, KY, etc.
I only use the Kindle web browser when I am traveling, and it has always connected immediately. However, my trips tend to be to large cities. I guess I disagree about the browser being too slow. It would be too slow for daily use, but it gets the job done for occasional use.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote