Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Vox
Blackberry Playbook Sale

I know it isn't an ereader, but some may be interested in the Blackberry Playbook. On sale in Canada at Future Shop, Best Buy, Staples and Chapters for $300 off regular price. The 16gb is $200. 32gb is $300 and so on. Maybe other retailers have the deal as well but those are the ones I am aware of.

Edit: should have put "Sale" in the title
GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
BTW, I acquired a Blackberry Playbook at a very attractive price recently. I've been distracted getting up to speed with Android and the Kobo Vox. Coming back to the Playbook, I am really impressed about how solidly it is built, how responsive it is and, for those of us with a Blackberry, the corporate email client and calendar -- synced with office desktop and Blackberry phone, but completely secure on the Playbook once the "bridge" is closed -- is an excellent tool.

Playbook, esp. at these new prices, is an impressive beast -- for what it does. The next iteration of the OS, vers 2, is in beta testing currently and is expected in Feb. RIM is almost certainly going to stay the course on this and continue to develop it into a pillar of their product line.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
cosmicheretic
cosmicheretic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I picked a 16GB one up for $200 yesterday and am looking for info on ereader software support for it. Any suggestions?
cosmicheretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm surprised that there haven't been more posts in this thread from proud new owners of the Playbook. Are many people buying it, or is it still not a very compelling product even at $199?

I'm on the fence about getting one. I suppose my biggest concern is that I won't actually be able to do much with it, for lack of apps. Or maybe I'm afraid of being stranded on the island of QNX, while everyone else is over on the mainland reaping the benefits of Android and iOS.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
ChupaLibro
Julio Angel Ortiz
ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziguezon View Post
I'm on the fence about getting one. I suppose my biggest concern is that I won't actually be able to do much with it, for lack of apps. Or maybe I'm afraid of being stranded on the island of QNX, while everyone else is over on the mainland reaping the benefits of Android and iOS.
This would be my biggest concern. The Playbook is a very nice looking product, but RIM hasn't exactly set the world on fire with their tablet and the faltering of their BlackBerry business doesn't exactly help, I'm sure.
ChupaLibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
kimb234
kimb234 began at the beginning.

Device: blackberry playbook
I'm a brand new Playbook owner, and have been struggling for 2 days to get my books onto it. With help of Calibre I was finally able to see them today, but got past my first chapter and was told 'demo version limitation' and it skipped 3 chapters! Not sure if this is due to the reader, calibre or some other glitch...but in the end, if I can't read on this thing, it's going back!

This is the 5th...maybe 6th version I've tried. Trying to stay at reasonable price for a tab that can double as a reader (and have reasonable battery life). I've tried Nextbook, Ipad, Pandigital, Cruz, a few others...this playbook looks and feels great. Actually best of them all (got the ipad at a great price - would have kept it, but it's sooo big and heavy!).

Anyway, as I said, Playbook is great, it's responsive, bright, good battery, but it comes down to the reader.

I just can not believe that with all the computer guys out there who are challenged to be told that it can't be done, that no one has figured out a way to have epub books (DRM protected) downloaded to the playbook! Every other system is congruent...

Any advice or input is appreciated!

Thnx,
Kim
kimb234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
I really like my Dad's Playbook. At this new price point I'm really thinking about getting one for myself. IMO it is a great size for a tablet, very portable.

For my dad it was the perfect choice. He is a long time Blackberry Customer, recently upgraded to a Torch. He loves the Playbook, uses it all the time. Of course it does need to connect to a Blackberry phone to use 3G, but I'm the market for a smart phone too. . .

I haven't used it as an ereader much, but I did sync up the Kobo app. Works okay, but I prefer e-ink for reading and I have a Kobo Touch. The screen size would not be ideal for reading full page comics.

Decisions, decisions. . .
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Stuck in QNX? I take it over Android at any time. I've worked with it and it's very efficient and solid.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Stuck in QNX? I take it over Android at any time. I've worked with it and it's very efficient and solid.
I have no doubts about that. Many of the reviews I've read can back you up on that as well.

If you were in the market for a 7" tablet would you choose a Blackberry Playbook over a similarly priced Android device?
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziguezon View Post
I'm surprised that there haven't been more posts in this thread from proud new owners of the Playbook. Are many people buying it, or is it still not a very compelling product even at $199?
I don't see a future for BlackBerry. $199 is too much for a non-Android/ non-iOS device. Price it at $99 like the TouchPad and it'll take off.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Vox
Seems as though it took off at $199. There aren't any to be found. I am looking for two and they are sold out locally at the stores, and anywhere I look online. If anyone knows where they may still be found online please let me know!!
GC
GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
erk
Enthusiast
erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.

Device: SONY PRS505
Staples still appears to have them in stock, and (rumor has it) is shipping 32GB instead of 16GB in some areas.
There are 25 off 100 coupons available at, for example, ccccpn.com
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
Graycee
Enthusiast
Graycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle (2014)
Got a playbook today at Best Buy. They are still getting new shipments. My local Best Buy got 30 last night.
Graycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
kimb234
kimb234 began at the beginning.

Device: blackberry playbook
$25 coupon not applicable

Quote:
Originally Posted by erk View Post
Staples still appears to have them in stock, and (rumor has it) is shipping 32GB instead of 16GB in some areas.
There are 25 off 100 coupons available at, for example, ccccpn.com
yeah, but small print says NOT valid for tablets
kimb234 is offline   Reply With Quote