Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
Snauzoo
Enthusiast
Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Kobo app for Blackberry Playbook

I am thinking about buying a Blackberry Playbook for my husband for his birthday. I do my reading on my iPad where I also play games, listen to music and browse the web. He can never pry it from my hands long enough to read a book, much less email! We thought about the Playbook since it can be configured by his IT guys at work to sync with his lotus notes and other enterprise stuff, rather than getting a stand-alone reader like NOOK.

I read some reviews a while back about the limitations of using the Kobo app on the Blackberry and wanted to know if anyone has tried it?
Snauzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauzoo View Post
I am thinking about buying a Blackberry Playbook for my husband for his birthday. I do my reading on my iPad where I also play games, listen to music and browse the web. He can never pry it from my hands long enough to read a book, much less email! We thought about the Playbook since it can be configured by his IT guys at work to sync with his lotus notes and other enterprise stuff, rather than getting a stand-alone reader like NOOK.

I read some reviews a while back about the limitations of using the Kobo app on the Blackberry and wanted to know if anyone has tried it?

The Kobo app on Playbook works fine, rather like the firmware on a Kobo reader. It struck me as being slightly slower than the actual Kobo reader, and anything backlit is a bitch to read on for any length of time, but it works fine. I'm not sure what limitations you're referring to, can you elucidate please?
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
If you google 'Blackberry Kobo App' you will find some reviews and comments. The comments for one YouTube video that I watched mentioned that you could only read books downloaded from the Kobo store. i.e. other apps like the Kobo app for Android might also search your device for books in the ePub format and add them to the Kobo library.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Snauzoo
Enthusiast
Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the replies! Even though the playbook looks like an awesome device, it will not work with my Calibre library. I am going to buy him a NOOK, since our granddaughter has one, I have put books from my library on it with no problems whatsoever.
Snauzoo is offline   Reply With Quote