Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
What image size suits the most devises

This thread is to collect as much feedback from you as possible about which size image works the best with the most devices and what file type problems you encountered. Now I can't test my ePubs on your device because I don't have one. Now you, on the other hand, have made ePubs for your device so tell me.

What worked best for you and what gave you grief? And what devices have you tested your handy work on.

Last edited by wannabee; 11-21-2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: fix spelling
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
What do you mean with image size?

The 5" and 6" devices (which are the majority, at this moment), have a 800x600 screen. If you take that into account, you should be able to adjust your images to that size.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks sweetpea, that's the first of the collection. 800 x 600 for most readers. Much appreciated.

Now can someone help to answer how that works for Android phones, iPhones and Touch?

The introduction of mobile devices with ebook reader apps has drawn the attention of business people who want to use this "new" format to produce ebooks for all kinds of reasons. There is a new demographic that is trying to port everything from cookbooks to self help publications complete with photos, tables and interactive hyperlinks. The trick to keep them happy, I think, is to be all things to all devices. Dedicated ebook reader devices have their own specs which can be very different from another and we need to find the best compromise to suit the most readers

So I'd like as many comments on what works with which device as possible. This will become invaluable content for the many graphic designers who have been typesetting for clients for years who now need the "How to" to move print copy to the eBook format.

Last edited by wannabee; 11-21-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 11-19-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
In my experience with the Cybook Gen3, 800x600 tends to work fine, but you can scale down larger images with CSS (with "max-width: 100%", for example), and that works OK too. If you need a 100% scale (pixel-to-pixel), you'd probably need images smaller than 800x600, since some part of the screen is wasted in margins..
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
wannabee
Media Bloke

Thanks Jelby, I'm looking for feedback from as many folk as possible. So if you've made an epub for your device with images, tables or unusual formatting. please post your results here. Thanks

Last edited by wannabee; 11-21-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I've done a few illustrated ePUBs, which are posted to the library here. In general they work fine, the only quirk I remember now is with images being too high in proportion, which get cropped at the bottom of the screen, as in the Goya etching series.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't mean to be rude, but PLEASE stop misspelling the word "device"!

As Jellby rightly says, if you target an 800x600 page size you'll suit the overwhelming majority of devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre's output target devices include optimal image sizes for each selected device type. I don't know of any easy way to see a list of the sizes though. For the Hanlin V3 it is 560 x 730 and it is typically slightly smaller than the screen resolution (600 x 800 in this case).

For epub's I would use a large size, perhaps 768 x 1024, and the max_width CSS suggested by Jellby.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
wannabee
Media Bloke

Thanks Harry. Devices! Got it. Nothing like being a bad speller on a site full of authors.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I'm sure you can devise a clever mnemonic device...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:20 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Calibre's output target devices include optimal image sizes for each selected device type. I don't know of any easy way to see a list of the sizes though. For the Hanlin V3 it is 560 x 730 and it is typically slightly smaller than the screen resolution (600 x 800 in this case).

For epub's I would use a large size, perhaps 768 x 1024, and the max_width CSS suggested by Jellby.
When I create my PDF's, I use a size of 75mmx97mm, with a 1mm margin. That shows perfectly on both my 5" and my 6" devices. So, the difference between 560x730 and 600x800 would be negligible.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
So, the difference between 560x730 and 600x800 would be negligible.
Yes, except that the image has to be rescaled to go from 600x800 to 560x730. A 560x730 image is used "as is". If you have to rescale the image anyway, I think you get better results with a larger original (e.g. 768x1024). This might be slower though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
KLUTCH
Enthusiast
KLUTCH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone 4, HTC Desire
If you are formatting for the kindle make sure your cover's shortest side isn't below 600px
Other wise you should be fine.

---
stunjelly.com
ebook formatting and repairs
KLUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLUTCH View Post
If you are formatting for the kindle make sure your cover's shortest side isn't below 600px
Other wise you should be fine.

---
stunjelly.com
ebook formatting and repairs
Have you seen many books for kindle that are illustrated or have photos?
Old 11-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Have you seen many books for kindle that are illustrated or have photos?
There are a shed-load of illustrated Kindle (ie Mobipocket) books that I've uploaded here to MR for a start. Look at any of the Dickens books that I've uploaded; they all contain all the original illustrations.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote